Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On cold starts, Brake System Warning Light comes on and stays on. Electronic Parking Brake Warning appears on Eyesight display, beeps and goes away. Check Owner's manual comes after that, beeps and goes away. Hill Start Assist System Disabled warning comes on, beeps and goes away. Warning symbol comes on above transmission indicator and stays on. The AVH (All Vehicle Hold) system doesn't activate. Pressing AVH button chirps twice and does nothing. Three or four restarts and ignition sequence runs normally. AVH has to be manually activated.

Brought the truck into dealer. Hot start ran ignition sequence normally. Diagnostics indicated no error codes. This is a weird problem.

Wondering if anybody has experienced similar issue or has some feedback?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Cold temp lowish brake fluid level in the brake reservoir can trip dash lights like that. But typically this happens at 50-60,000 when brake pads are worn down and the fluid level drops.

New car maybe screwy level sensor on the brake fluid or it’s actually not topped up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just had the issue appear with mine. Same set of warnings, but they do not appear when first started, but a couple of minutes later. It’s going to be looked at by the dealer on Monday. My Ascent is 3 months old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is less than a moth old. Service department needs to run diagnostics on active screen display.

Please post results of your service call to this thread?
Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I heard from the service manager this afternoon. They did not find anything that was specifically causing the problem. They ran the diagnostics and saw when it was first triggered. They checked with Subaru who said they had no reports on the issue and they recommended checking for a loose connection. The service manager said they cleared the code and took it for a drive and the warning did not reappear. They are going to drive it again later today and I’m going to pick it up tomorrow morning. I’ll advise if the paperwork has any further information on what was done to troubleshoot the issue.

Re: Subiesailor’s comment, they confirmed that this error is exclusively related to the electronic braking system, so it would not have any involvement with the hydraulic system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Piked up the car today: Diagnosis was "temporary poor contact of connector or noise interference in VDC Circuit". "Found DTC C1424 ECM fault in brake control system". They verified no TSBs or open reflashes on the issue, no DTC's in the Engine Control System. They cleared the memory, drove the car and found no DTC's after driving the car X2.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Questions and no answers...

Re: Subiesailor’s comment, they confirmed that this error is exclusively related to the electronic braking system, so it would not have any involvement with the hydraulic system.
Just an FYI, there's an electronic braking system in the Ascent that runs the hydraulic system, including releasing brake pressure. I'm still trying to figure out all the complexities of when it's ABS braking (eg: VDC activity) electronically controlled brake pressure (eg: pre-collision braking), electronically controlled braking (eg: ACC activity) and mechanical motor driven braking (eg: parking brake).

Some of those are electronic and mechanical (parking brake), while others are hydraulic and run by the electronics systems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I heard from the service manager this afternoon. They did not find anything that was specifically causing the problem. They ran the diagnostics and saw when it was first triggered. They checked with Subaru who said they had no reports on the issue and they recommended checking for a loose connection. The service manager said they cleared the code and took it for a drive and the warning did not reappear. They are going to drive it again later today and I’m going to pick it up tomorrow morning. I’ll advise if the paperwork has any further information on what was done to troubleshoot the issue.

Dealer ran diagnostics on active display. Found code C1424 in ABS system. Subaru tech line notified. According to the smart guys the code is not a problem and should be resolved once cleared.

So far, so good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For the sake of continuing to document this issue, it just happened to me on the way home from work. Parked it in the garage, restarted the vehicle about 10 minutes later, and did a quick test drive down the street. No error. Will forward the info contained in this thread to the service manager at my dealership if it occurs again. (Purchased my Ascent Touring in November. I've only put 830 miles on it so far. Fluid in brake reservoir is good.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can confirm that I have not had any re-occurrence of the issue since the dealer cleared out the codes as described in my earlier posting. But when I did have the issue, it continued to occur (not on every startup but probably 2 out of 4 times) until I took it to the dealer to be diagnosed. The error lights did not come on at ignition, usually a couple minutes later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just happened to me this morning. Upon start up all warnings came on the dash. Cycled through pretty much everything. Check engine, Check owners manual, elec parking brake, hill start assist and RAB. Once those cycled through, it left all the warnings on the dash, solid not flashing. Took a pic to show below. I let it run a minute and tried to manually turn on with all the different buttons. Nothing worked. I turned the car off, gave it a minute and turned it back on. Same sequence happened again. Decided to drive it, nothing seemed different, but unsure if these functions were actually working. Got to my destination and turned off. Came back a few minutes later to come back home and same sequence happened again. Called local Subaru and I have an appt for next week. One of our colder mornings, but its in our garage. Usual temp is 50-55 inside, but it was 47 when I started up this AM.

Reading this post makes me thing it is electrical and can be cleared, but still frustrating.

oh...just shy of 6K miles

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well.... I apparently jinxed myself with my post about the problem having not reoccurred since the codes were cleared in October. I started up the car last night and the issue reappeared. We'll see what the dealer says this time. 6K miles on mine as well. Maybe SOA has more guidance to provide than last time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My car was looked at by the dealer yesterday and they said that they were going to replace a module due to the re-occurrence of the issue. The part is on order and I don't have the paperwork yet detailing the fix. I'll report back with the full details after the work is completed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well apparently the gas cap was the issue. Make sure you get that on straight and click it down. Dealer cleared the codes and we're back to normal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well apparently the gas cap was the issue. Make sure you get that on straight and click it down. Dealer cleared the codes and we're back to normal.
That seems very odd, perhaps those who have a deep knowledge of the electronic systems work can comment if that is a possible cause. Why/how would a loose gas cap trip warnings that only involve the electronic braking system? Normally a loose gas cap would trigger the check engine light, which was not illuminated in my case.

More from me next week after they do the module replacement in mine and I can report back on the specifics of the fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
NHAscent

I have the same problem with my 2019 Subaru Ascent Touring purchase in Dec 2018. Less than 1k miles.

Please post the detail fix on the electronic break problem on your Subaru.

I have my white EZ Pass adhere right below the eyesight camera. I am wondering if the light reflection from the EZ Pass to the eyesight might have trigger the electronic brake warning.

Is your EZ Pass adhere right below the eyesight camera in your Subaru?

Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The dealer called this morning and said the module has not come in. The service manager told me it's on back order and in SOA's parts system it's showing as zero available right now. I don't have a service order so I don't know exactly what part is on order. More to come. Since the issue re-occurred two weeks ago, it's been intermittent. It's happened twice. Once immediately after starting the car, and then about a week later after I had been driving it for a couple of minutes.

Re HankAscent's question - My EZPass is in the right front top corner of the windshield, so mine is away from the EyeSight sensors.

Update: Spoke to my dealer today. SOA advised them that the expected ETA for the part is not until mid February.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for all your documenting/comments so far. I look forward to seeing further outcomes on this issue.

I just purchased my Ascent this past weekend and within less than 100 miles this issue happened to my wife and called me worried to drive any further. I advised she take a photo of the dash fault and send me so I could start researching the fault and told her to shut the car off and then start it up again and continue on her travels if the fault wasn't on the dash screen after restart. She traveled up to 244 miles on the odometer and the fault happened three times during that journey and she stopped and restarted the car each time. It's not that she couldn't continue without restarting the car, that was the technician in me saying to restart the car in case the fault be active during driving was causing further damage without knowing what was going on and hoping the restart would deactivate the fault; not saying this is the correct thing to do or not. We are in MN, the wife was in the metro Twin Cities area and traveling to northern MN during -2 to -20 degree Fahrenheit temperatures this past weekend. I just mention the temp conditions because I notice a pattern from all of your comments that it seems to occur with cooler temperatures and that things contract/shrink in cold weather especially metal in electrical connections.

I have not called the dealer nor will we be able to get to the dealer soon but I just wanted to comment and I will continue to follow as you all get further results.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts