Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
Posting a new thread and I'm sorry. I did read read the long one about brakes already.
Here's my dilemma. Can anyone actually verify brake rotors and pads are covered under the 3/36 warranty?
I've read my warranty book and it doesn't exclude them.
Subaru dealer and soa both tell me it's a wear item and not covered. Issue currently being escalated.
Here's my deal. We have a 2019 premium bought new, about 6 months ago while in the dealership for an oil leak,another issue all together. I brought up the brakes and that they pulse and shudder. Car had 25k miles on it.
They did their inspection and stated the rotors were warped and resurfaced them. I asked about replacement then and was told they won't.
Come to today, car is in for cvt recall and I stated the continued problems with the brakes. Tech inspected and again said they are all warped and recommended new pads and rotors for about $1300 and warranty isn't covering it.
Car is 1 month out of the 3 year warranty but still only has 30k miles.
Anyone have any tips on dealing with soa to help here?
Love the car for utility but not proving reliable. We've has 2 recalls, leak from turbo gasket, leaking exhaust manifold gasket they can't get parts for and now crap brakes all at 30k miles...our outback before at 60k miles had zero problems.

·
Administrator
12,749 Posts
Rotors are warped? Which dealership told you that? I seriously doubt they're warped - even though it may feel like it.

Your warranty...
(Refer to your Warranty and Maintenance Booklet for the whole thing)

3/36K bumper to bumper warranty covers pads and rotors. You MUST follow the 1,000 mile break-in to properly bed the pads. The ancient "do a bunch of quick stops in a parking lot" method will not do it. Harsh braking during the first 1,000 miles (of the car, or of new rotors, or after the rotors have been resurfaced) will cause pad residue to build up in ridges, that make the car feel like the rotors are warped (99.999% of the time, they are not, contrary to whatever the service writers have been saying).

Besides the warranty, the dealership needs to familiarize themselves with this:

Tell them to pay special attention to Page 1 (I put a LOT of effort into getting that reworded so they properly understand the issue).
Font Line Parallel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Also tell them to pay special attention to Page 4:
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info thanks i was hoping you'd reply.
I've had both the dealership, bertera subaru in west Springfield, ma and soa today tell me brake parts aren't covered at all . I've read the warranty book several times myself so wanted to post here too. To see somehow what I was missing.
They say they are pitted and show signs of heat damage, never any talk of trying different pads or even offering it. They resurfaced them last time and that was it.
Honestly I'm sick of having to argue these points with soa also but I will.

·
Administrator
12,749 Posts
Rust/pitting may not be covered, but, I am baffled that Bertera Subaru didn't replace the pads the first time, as per the TSB. That may help ensure it's grounds for doing the job correctly. Did you get a case number?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,871 Posts
Brake pads are literally listed in writing on the online Warranty document at Subaru.com as a covered wear item, along with wiper blades and clutch pads. It's right on their web site. While rotors are not listed, it's been pretty darn common for them to be covered during 3/36 if there is premature wear.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rust/pitting may not be covered, but, I am baffled that Bertera Subaru didn't replace the pads the first time, as per the TSB. That may help ensure it's grounds for doing the job correctly. Did you get a case number?
They are notorious for screwing people but it's the closest dealer to me. My case number is [Case # 220916-1600339].
I wish they simply fixed it correctly the first time. Obviously they didn't read the tsb and follow it.
Frustrating to say the least..now dealing with the leaking exhaust manifold gasket too.

·
Super Moderator
5,871 Posts
GTang11, once you do get this resolved, be sure you follow the required 1000 mile break in process as detailed in your manual. It really is important.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GTang11, once you do get this resolved, be sure you follow the required 1000 mile break in process as detailed in your manual. It really is important.
That's a big if on getting resolved. I've sent more info to soa so we'll see.
If they won't step up and help I'll pull all the subaru brakes off and replace with something else entirely.

·
Administrator
12,749 Posts
Please message me who at SoA responded to your case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brake shimmy is an issue , I am pretty sure its pad buildup other than rotors being warped though ... Our '22 with 6K miles shakes and grinds like crazy when hot ... Had similar issues with our '14 Crosstrek, dealer would just resurface and issue would return, I replaced with better pads and rotors and now with 80K have not had an issue, Ill be replacing the Ascent Pads and rotors as soon as I can find the brand I want ... Why have the dealer warrantee, its just going to happen again .....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was referred here due to the braking issue on my 2022 Ascent. I bought it at the end of February from Bertera Subaru in Hartford with 4 miles on it and have been the only driver of the car other than Subaru.

Shortly after purchasing I noticed my left front brake was producing more dust than the others, as well as a small squeal during the last few inches of a stop and noises in the wheel assembly while going over particularly bumpy roads.

I brought the car back to Bertera for service and to deal with both these issues. They serviced the car (@5600 miles) and found nothing wrong with the brakes and made no comment about my complaint of the wheel noise.

Back to Bertera I go, this time I had a "master technician" working on my car. After what I was told was an extensive test drive they admitted to hearing the brake noises. Upon inspection, the front rotors were glazed, had hot spots and the wear groove, they replaced the rotors and 2 pads. The rear rotors were too badly warped to redo so they had to replace them. I had been given a 2022 Outback as a loaner and just about swallowed my teeth the first time I came to a stop sign!

I pick up my car with new brakes on the drive home, I still I heard squealing. Not only was the sound worse but now I have the smell and brakes in a less than safe condition as I've had 2 times where I wasn't sure I was going to stop on time.

Customer Service tells me I have to bring it to another dealer for repairs or if I bring it to a private service center I will void my warranty (no clarification on the word void). I have to pray this dealer doesn't screw my car up worse as in this condition I'd imagine the front braking assist is worthless. They won't tell me how many times I have to bring it to a Subaru dealer in hopes of getting it repaired if this dealer isn't able to repair it. At least this dealer admitted they have gotten some Ascents in with the issues I described, no comment on their success rate.

So, if the Ascent has had this issue since 2019 why do they continue to produce them? Why do they continue to use the same braking systems? Why do they continue to use the same suppliers? Is this able to ever get it fixed right? Do I have to get new pads and rotors every 5k miles for the rest of the time I have the car? Does Subaru ever reimburse us for going to our own mechanics and getting it fixed if the dealerships can't?

·
Super Moderator
5,871 Posts
Customer Service tells me I have to bring it to another dealer for repairs or if I bring it to a private service center I will void my warranty (no clarification on the word void).
There is no "void your warranty" for using a third party provider or parts in the US by law. But a manufacturer can deny a specific claim if they can prove that work done by others (including the vehicle owner) or third party parts caused an issue. But any kind of warranty work must be done by an authorized dealer service department.

Subaru did generally address issues with the front pads...and is on the fourth revision. Most folks don't have issues, but it's an often reported problem here on the Internet like many problems are. Some folks experience issues because they did not follow the 1000 mile break in procedure that's detailed in the manual. And some folks just have bad luck with their brakes.

I think having a different dealer service department look at this is a good idea, honestly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no "void your warranty" for using a third party provider or parts in the US by law. But a manufacturer can deny a specific claim if they can prove that work done by others (including the vehicle owner) or third party parts caused an issue. But any kind of warranty work must be done by an authorized dealer service department.

Subaru did generally address issues with the front pads...and is on the fourth revision. Most folks don't have issues, but it's an often reported problem here on the Internet like many problems are. Some folks experience issues because they did not follow the 1000 mile break in procedure that's detailed in the manual. And some folks just have bad luck with their brakes.

I think having a different dealer service department look at this is a good idea, honestly.
Please tell me where in the manual is this break-in procedure? I'm looking at mine now and can't find anything under brakes or braking. Also, these noises started within the 1st weeks, so long before 1000 miles.

On the new rotors and pads which were put on last week, it was the same day I picked up the car from the dealership the noise started.

I don't ride my brakes, I don't slam on my brakes, the ABS have never engaged at any stop and I had 1 unavoidable panic stop (some jamoke just about took off my front end doing a lane change). I don't double foot drive (right for gas, left for brake). The car has never had to stop itself to avoid a collision. I do far more highway driving than city driving so I'm not on and off my brakes. So, since the "master technician" implied in the video they sent that I was the cause for either riding my brakes or slamming on my brakes (I shudder to think of the driving habits I'd have to have to trash 4 rotors and 2 pads in under 5,000 miles) please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

So because I didn't know about or do this 1,000 mile break-in procedure, I have to have the pads and rotors constantly replaced? If that's the case, I'll get rid of it now and get another car. I can't afford to be traipsing back and forth with the dealerships every couple of thousand miles.

I'm not sure what to do. Do I go to another Subaru dealer and have more Subaru people tell me what I'm doing wrong without asking me anything about the type of driving I do, implying I'm causing the damage because of how I'm driving without ever clapping eyes on me? Do I write this one off as a piece of junk and trade it in for a new make and model? Do I say to Subaru...screw you and go to the only mechanic who has looked me in the face and said "Something's not right. Don't worry, we'll get it fixed and you'll be loving your car again." This mechanic looked at the car and immediately saw all the problems with the front rotors the first technician at Bertera didn't see. It was obvious enough for him to point them out to me and for me to see what he was pointing to in a parking lot in the sunlight.

The brakes on my car were never what I expected for a vehicle of that size, towing capacity, torque and horsepower. At this juncture, I should turn off the front collision as I doubt it would be able to function correctly, I will not plan on towing as if it has the problems with downhill stopping with this set of pads and rotors I don't dare put a load behind it.

This is my 4th Subaru and if I didn't need to pass along my 2012 Outback I'd still be driving that car...happily. And I was happy to have this car. I loved driving this car. This was the Subaru I wanted to put a minimum of 250,000 miles on as I had to pass on my 2012 just shy of 100,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,871 Posts
Please tell me where in the manual is this break-in procedure?
Reference the last line in this screen scrape of the user manual:

Font Document Publication Event Circle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reference the last line in this screen scrape of the user manual:

View attachment 18365
Thanks for this. I was looking under brakes and breaking not new.

So, what they are saying is don't use cruise control (which I did a couple of times), don't exceed 4,000 rpms (I didn't), I just had the 1 hard braking in emergency, rapid acceleration (a couple of times). I did not do any of these "new car no-no's" with any regularity, it's not how I drive. Guess I destroyed the car the few times I broke the rules.

This doesn't explain why the brakes on this Ascent have always been (not sure what word) and slow to grab and squealing. Forgetting the differences between the Outback (loaner) and the Ascent (mine), all things being even the Outback loaner had way more aggressive brakes in it than I ever felt in this Ascent. The Outback loaner had the brakes I expected the Ascent to have. Now factor in the size differences, weight differences, towing capabilities, horsepower and torque differences the brakes on my Ascent are not right. Especially after getting this new set, I was expecting the same reaction as I had on the loaner I'd just returned. Hopefully this new dealership puts more aggressive brakes on my car or my mechanic does.

With this disaster set of brakes, I haven't even put 200 miles on them the noises and smells started on the night I picked the car up from the dealership when the put on the new rotors and pads. And with this set I have to brake HARD to get it to stop. I've never had to brake as hard as I do now and with this type of regularity on any car with brakes within tolerance.

Gotta figure out what I'm going to do. Do I replace it as I can't afford to take it back and forth to a dealership every few weeks for new pads and rotors because of a couple of quick starts, 1 emergency stop and using cruise control, and if so, what do I replace it with?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Happy to report that Bertera Subaru in West Springfield MA stepped up and replaced my rotors and pads at no cost to me...not without many phone calls, discussions with SOA and emails being sent, which is ridiculous. Why should it take that effort to get something fixed on a car under warranty that had been looked at a few times prior. Subaru seriously needs to look into their brakes or at least make it reasonably easy to get them fixed at a dealership, which neither is happening now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts