Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm feeling a slight stickiness in the brake pedal on first depression and it comes back after 10 seconds of non-use. Inside that timeframe it feels like every other car I've ever driven. Any thoughts on what could cause something like this? It's almost like a slight "pop" on the first quarter inch of travel and then everything is fine.

I did try taking it to the dealership but they weren't interested in helping (that's another story for another time).

-Shaun

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had this in my 17 Impreza for about 2-3k miles then it went away. Believe me there are a lot of shared parts with the new platform. My Ascent does the same thing. Give it some break in time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whew, that makes me feel a lot better...Any thoughts on what it might be? The Engineer/Nerd in me wants to "figure it out".

·
Registered
210 Posts
Whew, that makes me feel a lot better...Any thoughts on what it might be? The Engineer/Nerd in me wants to "figure it out".

Do you have the Auto Vehicle Hold on?

·
Registered
965 Posts
no, it's off by default right?
If you turn it on, it remains on even upon restart.

Look at your instrument cluster, right dial, towards the upper right. If you see AVH lit, then it's on. If the round circle is lit under it, then it's active.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this in my 17 Impreza for about 2-3k miles then it went away. Believe me there are a lot of shared parts with the new platform. My Ascent does the same thing. Give it some break in time.
Same on my '15 legacy - Same on my Ascent. Thinking it will go way in about another 1-2k more miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm feeling a slight stickiness in the brake pedal on first depression and it comes back after 10 seconds of non-use. Inside that timeframe it feels like every other car I've ever driven. Any thoughts on what could cause something like this? It's almost like a slight "pop" on the first quarter inch of travel and then everything is fine.

I did try taking it to the dealership but they weren't interested in helping (that's another story for another time).

-Shaun
I have the same problem with my 2020 Legacy. Did it ever go away?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All, We just picked up a 2020 Outback and the SAME Thing is happening to us!!! Driving me nuts! Anyone ever bring it in to the dealer. Im not waiting for 3K to hot to see if its still there! I had many many Subarus in the past and this was never an issue.. I have an appointment at the dealer on Monday 6/22 Ill report back here if anyone is still reading this post..

Same on my '15 legacy - Same on my Ascent. Thinking it will go way in about another 1-2k more miles.
Did yours ever get fixed? Just picked up a 2020 Outback same issue!

I have the same problem with my 2020 Legacy. Did it ever go away?
Did yours ever get fixed? Just picked up a 2020 Outback same issue!

Just picked up a 2020 outback having the same problem did your issue go away on your ascent ?

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Hi All, We just picked up a 2020 Outback and the SAME Thing is happening to us!!! Driving me nuts! Anyone ever bring it in to the dealer. Im not waiting for 3K to hot to see if its still there! I had many many Subarus in the past and this was never an issue.. I have an appointment at the dealer on Monday 6/22 Ill report back here if anyone is still reading this post..
Hi, you may want to ask in the Outback forums.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, you may want to ask in the Outback forums.
I did post on the outback forum, no hits! So when I found it here I reached out it is the same thing I have so I wanted to know if these people resolved it..

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
I did post on the outback forum, no hits! So when I found it here I reached out it is the same thing I have so I wanted to know if these people resolved it..
Do you have Auto Vehicle Hold or Adaptive Cruise Control enabled?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,156 Posts
Our 2020 Ascent has this behavior, too. AVH on or off doesn't make a difference. By "sticky", I'm talking VERY SLIGHT. You can feel a VERY SLIGHT resistance to movement...then it's free. And it comes back if you don't use the brake pedal for a short while. It's not a bother to me, but our Feb 2020 Ascent does do this.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My '17 and '18 Outbacks did it, my '18 WRX did it, and my '20 Ascent does it. Not sure why, kinda annoying but never gave me cause for concern. It's just a Subaru-ism. It's kind of like how some Outbacks will have the 2-second delay when going from reverse to drive but other Outbacks don't. Makes no sense it just is what it is

·
Registered
5 Posts
My '17 and '18 Outbacks did it, my '18 WRX did it, and my '20 Ascent does it. Not sure why, kinda annoying but never gave me cause for concern. It's just a Subaru-ism. It's kind of like how some Outbacks will have a I want the 2-second delay when going from reverse to drive but other Outbacks don't. Makes no sense it just is what it is
Thank you for your reply! Im heading to subaru this AM,, Ill reply here and tell everyone what they said..

Our 2020 Ascent has this behavior, too. AVH on or off doesn't make a difference. By "sticky", I'm talking VERY SLIGHT. You can feel a VERY SLIGHT resistance to movement...then it's free. And it comes back if you don't use the brake pedal for a short while. It's not a bother to me, but our Feb 2020 Ascent does do this.
Thank you for your comment.. Ill report back here today after I get back from Subaru

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same symptom as described in this topic. I too went to the dealer and they couldn’t replicate it (they didn’t listen). I have called Subaru of America and référed them to this site. They have set up a file for investigation. I will let you know the out come. Bob H

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same symptom as described in this topic. I too went to the dealer and they couldn’t replicate it (they didn’t listen). I have called Subaru of America and référed them to this site. They have set up a file for investigation. I will let you know the out come. Bob H
Went to the dealer they told me this is NORMAL! I test drove a Forester and Crosstrec this issue is NOT present in these models! Tradred my 6 day OLD back to the DEALER cause of this issue! Good luck with your repair.... Report back here if and when You get it resolved.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Have any of you noticed the same resistance in a second press of the brake? By this I mean, press the brake, release it completely, then press a second time. Is it fine on the second press? If it's gone on the second press, it's the vacuum boost built up. My Lexus felt this way for 21 years. In fact, with the Lexus the pedal would actuate lower on second press. Never impaired braking which was excellent, never a problem.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
My '17 and '18 Outbacks did it, my '18 WRX did it, and my '20 Ascent does it. Not sure why, kinda annoying but never gave me cause for concern. It's just a Subaru-ism. It's kind of like how some Outbacks will have the 2-second delay when going from reverse to drive but other Outbacks don't. Makes no sense it just is what it is
"Subaru-ism " I like that, its a keeper.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts