Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally settled on a brake controller, and bought a Tekonsha Primus IQ. It can be mounted at any angle as long as it is inline for and aft. As well I got their Ascent wire harness with a plug on each end. There is however a bit of a problem that hopefully one of you has solved.

The Ascent pigtail that came with the Subaru hitch has an in line 20 amp fuse. The Tekonsha wire has no fuse. Tekonsha tells me they “assume” the on board circuit is protected, hence no in line fuse. The local Subaru dealer tells me they think the circuit is protected by fuse SBF-4 located under the hood and is apparently 15 amp. I might also add that an inquiry to Subaru has produce no answer and in fact a statement that they do not answer such inquiries. My questions are as follows:
1. If I use the Tekonsha wire is the circuit adequately protected ?
2. If I use the Subaru wire, the circuit would only be protected up to 15 amps. The in line 20 amp fuse becomes redundant.
3. What to do ?
Thanks
PS this probably could be in another thread, sorry

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Well, I finally settled on a brake controller, and bought a Tekonsha Primus IQ. It can be mounted at any angle as long as it is inline for and aft. As well I got their Ascent wire harness with a plug on each end. There is however a bit of a problem that hopefully one of you has solved.

The Ascent pigtail that came with the Subaru hitch has an in line 20 amp fuse. The Tekonsha wire has no fuse. Tekonsha tells me they “assume” the on board circuit is protected, hence no in line fuse. The local Subaru dealer tells me they think the circuit is protected by fuse SBF-4 located under the hood and is apparently 15 amp. I might also add that an inquiry to Subaru has produce no answer and in fact a statement that they do not answer such inquiries. My questions are as follows:
1. If I use the Tekonsha wire is the circuit adequately protected ?
2. If I use the Subaru wire, the circuit would only be protected up to 15 amps. The in line 20 amp fuse becomes redundant.
3. What to do ?
Thanks
PS this probably could be in another thread, sorry
I recently installed a Tekonsha P3 controller. My Subaru wiring harness in the glove box did not have a plug on each end as you describe (female plug on one end, bare wires on the other). It had the female end that plugged into the male end underneath the dash to the left of where your left foot rests. The other end had four wires colored coded exactly to match the four wires on my controller's wiring harness. Solder them together, then plug the completed harness into your controller, and you are ready to go. The fuse supplied with the Subaru part of the setup is all you need.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to close the loop on this. I’ve discovered from the trailer and brake controller wiring schematic that the brake controller fuse is SBF 4 (under the hood) and is 40 amp. This amperage is probably too much for the brake controller system and the in line 20 amp fuse of the pigtail is necessary. The dealer also has told me these larger fuses can often include for other systems. I’ll use the Subaru pigtail and not the unfused Tekonsha wiring harness.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.