Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never did ANY work on cars before. Thanks to this forum, I installed a fumato valve, do oil changes myself, installed OEM hitch all by myself. I am a very proud man. Thanks to the many threads that are informative and call out common pitfalls (I did break the antenna and bumper sensor clip during hitch install dispite all the warnings. Oh well!)

Moving on to installing a brake controller, there seems to be two main recommendations

Redarc doesn't seem to fit well in lower blank switches and the other require drilling holes. I DO NOT want to do anything destructive to the trim and want a simple solution that is clean, out of the way and automatic (after 1 time setup).

I don't think I will use the manual brakes ever. May be I am wrong and I need one. Why can't I use a simple proportional brake controller like the one below? I would like to hear your thoughts and if there are better alternatives that fit my requirements.

Reese Towpower: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M59QRWK/ref=emc_b_5_t

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The manual brake is used to set braking level, but more important, it's used in emergency situations where the vehicle and trailer may have gotten out of line. In slippery conditions judicious use can help prevent jackknifing. It's a good idea to position the controller so that you can readily access it such conditions.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The manual brake is used to set braking level, but more important, it's used in emergency situations where the vehicle and trailer may have gotten out of line. In slippery conditions judicious use can help prevent jackknifing. It's a good idea to position the controller so that you can readily access it such conditions.
Ah! Makes a lot of sense. Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, which controller have you installed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.