Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Touring with less than 4,000 miles that was purchased new in June of 2020. Until June 2021, we had no issues with the vehicle. The low mileage is primarily due to the pandemic and we had the first oil change and inspection done in early June of this year. The last week of June I drove 220 miles to take care of business related to the recent death of my father. The day after I arrived at my parents house I decided to take a quick 20 mile trip to run errands. Shortly after getting on the road the brake light came on despite the fact that the parking brake was not on. It was over 100 degrees outside so I thought the heat might been a factor. After I got on the freeway, the check engine, and Eyesight disabled light/message appeared followed by several other warning lights. The vehicle had been driving fine so I turned around at the first exit and headed back to the house. I called the nearest dealership to get advice and was told that the vehicle could still be driven as long as the CE light was not flashing (it wasn’t). I decided to let the car sit for a few hours and would then start it again to see what would happen. The next morning I went outside to start the Ascent the key fob was in my pocket but the driver’s door would not open. I then tried the lift gate with the same result. I took the emergency key out of the fob and used it to open the driver’s door and the alarm went off. I had to wait the 30 sec for it to stop. I was able to start the car and all the warning lights came on. Then I could not shift out of Park. I called the dealership and told them what happened and they told me to call roadside assistance to have it towed to them. A few hours later the tow truck arrived but the driver said he had a number of people stranded in the 110+ heat. I said they were more important and asked him to return first thing the next morning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer’s service dept the next morning. I also called my dealership 3.5 hours away to let them know what happened. The first call I get from the local dealer asks me if the vehicle was parked near an open field because they thought maybe a rodent chewed through some wires and it wouldn’t be under warranty. Mind you they had not found any damage, just wanted to say the fix might not be covered. I told them the vehicle was parked in a driveway next to a house in town and rodent damage was highly unlikely. The next call I received was to tell me that multiple codes came up but the only thing in common was to replace a “cluster”. They had ordered the part but it would take 4-5 days to receive it, they had no loaner for me. It is now the July 4th weekend and I really want to return home so I borrow my Dad’s car to make the return trip. One week after the vehicle is towed to the dealer they call me to tell me the cluster replacement did not resolve the issue and they had opened a case with Subaru and their engineers recommended replacing the BIU. They were sure this would resolve the issue after everything was reprogrammed. We called our dealership to update them and asked if they had a loaner for us and asked them to contact SOA customer care on our behalf. No loaner, but they contacted SOA for us. We were called by SOA about an hour later and we provided all the information they needed. Another week goes by and replacing the BIU did not fix the problem. SOA escalates our case and they offer us $50/day for up to 10 days for a rental. Unfortunately it was impossible to get any rental for this amount in our area. The service manager who has our Ascent then tells us they and SOA engineers are now confident that replacing a “harness” will resolve the issue but it will take another week at least. By the time we expect to hear from them it will be 30 days or more they have had our vehicle and we start talking about filling out our state’s lemon law application. Our dealer offers to give us $37k for a trade in of our Ascent if it’s fixed but we would need another $7k to get a 2021 Touring, but they have none on their lot and don’t expect another shipment for a month. I am not happy with their trade in price because I know the trade in value is actually more than what we payed in 2020. SOA customer care says they might be able to bridge the difference depending on the outcome with our vehicle. Well, yesterday, three days after not hearing from anyone, we call the service dept and they tell us the new harness did not fix the problem. We are now at day 30 of not having our Ascent returned to us. Tomorrow we are suppose to get another update. I am so disappointed by everyone at Subaru. We have not received the kind of treatment I would have expected, no loaner, no legitimate rental assistance, and our own dealership’s lack of response after we have purchased two Ascents from them. I don’t know if my issues are the same as others who have had the transmission harness replaced and have no idea what comes next, but getting another Subaru is looking to be unlikely after this experience. Any thoughts or advice are welcome.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,504 Posts
I have a 2020 Touring with less than 4,000 miles that was purchased new in June of 2020. Until June 2021, we had no issues with the vehicle. The low mileage is primarily due to the pandemic and we had the first oil change and inspection done in early June of this year. The last week of June I drove 220 miles to take care of business related to the recent death of my father. The day after I arrived at my parents house I decided to take a quick 20 mile trip to run errands. Shortly after getting on the road the brake light came on despite the fact that the parking brake was not on. It was over 100 degrees outside so I thought the heat might been a factor. After I got on the freeway, the check engine, and Eyesight disabled light/message appeared followed by several other warning lights. The vehicle had been driving fine so I turned around at the first exit and headed back to the house. I called the nearest dealership to get advice and was told that the vehicle could still be driven as long as the CE light was not flashing (it wasn’t). I decided to let the car sit for a few hours and would then start it again to see what would happen. The next morning I went outside to start the Ascent the key fob was in my pocket but the driver’s door would not open. I then tried the lift gate with the same result. I took the emergency key out of the fob and used it to open the driver’s door and the alarm went off. I had to wait the 30 sec for it to stop. I was able to start the car and all the warning lights came on. Then I could not shift out of Park. I called the dealership and told them what happened and they told me to call roadside assistance to have it towed to them. A few hours later the tow truck arrived but the driver said he had a number of people stranded in the 110+ heat. I said they were more important and asked him to return first thing the next morning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer’s service dept the next morning. I also called my dealership 3.5 hours away to let them know what happened. The first call I get from the local dealer asks me if the vehicle was parked near an open field because they thought maybe a rodent chewed through some wires and it wouldn’t be under warranty. Mind you they had not found any damage, just wanted to say the fix might not be covered. I told them the vehicle was parked in a driveway next to a house in town and rodent damage was highly unlikely. The next call I received was to tell me that multiple codes came up but the only thing in common was to replace a “cluster”. They had ordered the part but it would take 4-5 days to receive it, they had no loaner for me. It is now the July 4th weekend and I really want to return home so I borrow my Dad’s car to make the return trip. One week after the vehicle is towed to the dealer they call me to tell me the cluster replacement did not resolve the issue and they had opened a case with Subaru and their engineers recommended replacing the BIU. They were sure this would resolve the issue after everything was reprogrammed. We called our dealership to update them and asked if they had a loaner for us and asked them to contact SOA customer care on our behalf. No loaner, but they contacted SOA for us. We were called by SOA about an hour later and we provided all the information they needed. Another week goes by and replacing the BIU did not fix the problem. SOA escalates our case and they offer us $50/day for up to 10 days for a rental. Unfortunately it was impossible to get any rental for this amount in our area. The service manager who has our Ascent then tells us they and SOA engineers are now confident that replacing a “harness” will resolve the issue but it will take another week at least. By the time we expect to hear from them it will be 30 days or more they have had our vehicle and we start talking about filling out our state’s lemon law application. Our dealer offers to give us $37k for a trade in of our Ascent if it’s fixed but we would need another $7k to get a 2021 Touring, but they have none on their lot and don’t expect another shipment for a month. I am not happy with their trade in price because I know the trade in value is actually more than what we payed in 2020. SOA customer care says they might be able to bridge the difference depending on the outcome with our vehicle. Well, yesterday, three days after not hearing from anyone, we call the service dept and they tell us the new harness did not fix the problem. We are now at day 30 of not having our Ascent returned to us. Tomorrow we are suppose to get another update. I am so disappointed by everyone at Subaru. We have not received the kind of treatment I would have expected, no loaner, no legitimate rental assistance, and our own dealership’s lack of response after we have purchased two Ascents from them. I don’t know if my issues are the same as others who have had the transmission harness replaced and have no idea what comes next, but getting another Subaru is looking to be unlikely after this experience. Any thoughts or advice are welcome.
1st. SOA was required to provide you with a car while it was being repsired, not some measly amount towards it. I would have demandec this action and received it. 2nd. Check your states lemon law and tslk to an attorney.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st. SOA was required to provide you with a car while it was being repsired, not some measly amount towards it. I would have demandec this action and received it. 2nd. Check your states lemon law and tslk to an attorney.
Yeah, no loaner or rental. And I have printed out the lemon law application and talked to a lawyer. In our case lemon law applies because they have had the vehicle for 30 or more calendar days.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Yeah, no loaner or rental. And I have printed out the lemon law application and talked to a lawyer. In our case lemon law applies because they have had the vehicle for 30 or more calendar days.
That is what I figured. Due to the shabby treatment I would be harder on them (loaner etc.). Lemons happen. It is the treatment that bugs me.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Our dealer offers to give us $37k for a trade in of our Ascent if it’s fixed but we would need another $7k to get a 2021 Touring, but they have none on their lot and don’t expect another shipment for a month. I am not happy with their trade in price because I know the trade in value is actually more than what we payed in 2020. SOA customer care says they might be able to bridge the difference depending on the outcome with our vehicle.
Sorry to hear you're getting treated so poorly. :( You're on the right path of action. These offers from the dealer and SOA are terrible attempts at avoiding the lemon buy-back. With only 4k miles on the clock, they should give you a brand new one no matter how the numbers work out.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,389 Posts
Some dealers participate in the loaner program and some do not. That said, it would have been appropriate for a vehicle to be provided for a substantial and drawn out problem like this.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Some dealers participate in the loaner program and some do not. That said, it would have been appropriate for a vehicle to be provided for a substantial and drawn out problem like this.
I get the fact that some dealers do not have loaners. No problem there. That fact does not do away with SOA and the dealer's obligation to provide a like vehicle during warranty work. Since it is warranty work it fslls on SOA to cover costs (all costs). It is the dealers responsibility to arrange the deal . There is absolutely no excuse to be had.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
325 Posts
Sadly getting a rental car of any kind is near impossible at various times now. It does seem like they are trying to find the problem though. Yes it totally sucks and yes they should replace your car with a new one that works. That should be something SoA deals with and fixes.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,389 Posts
That fact does not do away with SOA and the dealer's obligation to provide a like vehicle during warranty work.
Unless a loaner provision is part of the OEM warranty language, the obligation would only be "moral", rather than legal. While my Subaru dealer has the program loaner fleet, their other brand operations that are literally next door only offer rentals and they are not free. And I did state that I thought that the OP should have been given something to drive based on such a serious and long term situation.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Unless a loaner provision is part of the OEM warranty language, the obligation would only be "moral", rather than legal. While my Subaru dealer has the program loaner fleet, their other brand operations that are literally next door only offer rentals and they are not free. And I did state that I thought that the OP should have been given something to drive based on such a serious and long term situation.
You said nothing wrong. I believe it is in warranty language. I seem to recall it is contingent pn how long the repair will take. Of course if they have the vehicle in and outultiple times for the same issue, it is problematic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I just talked to the service manager who has my Ascent. He said a field engineer was there yesterday and they found a broken connection pin on the bulkhead harness and have ordered another harness to replace this one. They are 100% certain this has been the culprit all along and the Ascent should be ready to pick up next Friday (1 more week.) I also spoke to an attorney to get all my facts together. And I called the senior advocate on our case with SOA to confirm that he has also talked to the field engineer. He told me once the vehicle is fixed, SOA will send me a check that is mine to keep no matter what I decide to do (keep the fixed vehicle, trade in for new, or go elsewhere) because they know the lemon law applies now. This is their way to compensate me for all the trouble. So, stay tuned until next week…

Thanks for the comments. I greatly appreciate the support.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
325 Posts
If you have no love for your Ascent now, I'd sell it to carvana if possible as those as selling like hot cakes at a high price then they are worth. That would get you a nice tidy sum for a car you feel you can trust.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
So, I just talked to the service manager who has my Ascent. He said a field engineer was there yesterday and they found a broken connection pin on the bulkhead harness and have ordered another harness to replace this one. They are 100% certain this has been the culprit all along and the Ascent should be ready to pick up next Friday (1 more week.) I also spoke to an attorney to get all my facts together. And I called the senior advocate on our case with SOA to confirm that he has also talked to the field engineer. He told me once the vehicle is fixed, SOA will send me a check that is mine to keep no matter what I decide to do (keep the fixed vehicle, trade in for new, or go elsewhere) because they know the lemon law applies now. This is their way to compensate me for all the trouble. So, stay tuned until next week…

Thanks for the comments. I greatly appreciate the support.
and are they supplying you with a vehicle for you to drive for the week?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and are they supplying you with a vehicle for you to drive for the week?
No, of course not. I will just have to keep driving the car I am borrowing. Actually I think this will work out better because I have to return my borrowed car to the same city where my Ascent is, 3.5 hrs away from where I live.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you have no love for your Ascent now, I'd sell it to carvana if possible as those as selling like hot cakes at a high price then they are worth. That would get you a nice tidy sum for a car you feel you can trust.
I actually love the Ascent, with the exception for the issues I am dealing with now. I will probably switch local dealerships, and hope that Subaru in general has redeemed themselves. But I know it’s worth a lot if we do decide to buy a different SUV, although I have no idea which competitors we would look at. And right now it sucks to buy any new or used car due to lack of inventory and price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well Friday came and went and our vehicle is still not fixed. I had made plans to have a friend drive over with me, stay in a hotel, puck up the Ascent on Monday and return my borrowed car before making the return drive home. I called the service manager Thursday to confirm. I was told the part was delayed and it would be another week. They didn’t call me when the part was delayed, which really makes me upset. I don’t think they would have called me and I would have made the trip for nothing. My guy at SOA sent me an email Friday stating he knew about the delay and assumed the service manager had notified me. He also said he was told by the service manager that they offered me a loaner. I replied that I was the one who called them and no, a loaner was not offered. Besides I am not going yo drive over 200 miles to pick up a loaner. I have been more than patient throughout this entire ordeal and Subaru just keeps playing their silly games.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi @Statscat - I was reading this like a novel/hopefully not horror story and it just ends...

Having just bought a 2022 Ascent... I have to ask.... how did it turn out?
Did they figure it out and what was it?
Are you still driving your Ascent?
When SOA said they'd be sending you a check, what was that amount for?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.