Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
2/7/20 update: front calipers suck. Who invented front calipers? Who invented February? Why is it 65° in Feb? Did I mention front calipers suck?

There’s really not a lot different about them besides they’re about twice as big and they don’t have the convenient ebrake to rest them on.
Having done the first couple coats on them I’m fairly certain one G2 paint kit isn’t enough. Half the kit just barely finished the first coats (the ridiculous wind did cause me to spill a couple ounces though [who’s idea was it to do this in February?]). I can’t work on it tomorrow so I’ll finish painting on Sunday and reassemble on Monday with more pics. I can’t wait to see it!
0AC7C334-564F-43CA-AA06-2FCE379CC464.jpeg

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
That's the exact same kit I referenced above, just in yellow. It's the best kit available that I know of. It's less expensive at Tire Rack.

It works very well, mine still look like new.

Here are some tips:
Plan two days for this. You'll need at least two coats and the paint needs to dry overnight before you can put on the second coat.

Clean all surfaces as best as possible before painting. There can be no dust, dirt, salt, oil, rust, or grease.

Use only half the can and half the hardener for the first coat. If you use the full can, the paint will harden before you get a chance to do the second coat and you'll need to buy another kit. Half a can will cover all four rotors with some left over. Use all the paint once you add hardener, it won't be useable the next day. Go over the rotors again if you have paint left from the first half of a can, it'll still even out, but for two effective coats, the first coat must dry.

Wear rubber gloves and have paint solvent and rags on hand to remove any slip-ups.

Don't use the cheap acid brush that comes with the kit, use decent quality paintbrushes meant for oil-based paints. Get at least 2 half-inch ones and 2 small detail brushes for the tight areas. You can find these at Walmart in the arts and crafts section. Don't try to clean the brushes afterward, the epoxy paint won't come off. Save yourself the trouble and just toss them when you're done, they don't cost much and it's not worth your time.

You do not have to remove the calipers' hydraulic lines, but you should remove the pads and brackets, otherwise, it'll be quite a bit harder to do. Removing the pads and brackets is not hard and takes little extra time. You'll get much better results.

After you paint the calipers and brackets, inspect them carefully, it's very easy to miss spots, and once the paint dries you can't use it again because of the hardener. Be sure to have good lighting. Those LED headlamps are perfect.

Find a way to hang the calipers and brackets to dry before you start. It's messy if you try to devise a way to hang them when they're wet.

If you have any other questions just let me know.
I am having some auto body work done on another Subaru I own so I asked them if they could paint the calipers. They said that they have in the past but it did not last despite them using hot temp paint. They now send it out for powder coating but it is expensive. For anyone who has used the kits and done it themselves, what type of paint is in the kit and how long did it last on the calipers?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I’m using the same one as above. It’s a 2 part paint and on the rears that are already complete it’s hard as a rock. Only time will tell how it holds up to brake dust though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm confident it will stand the test of time. Love the color choices. Went red last time might go silver next.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I used it over ten years ago and they still look great.
thanks for the info and link! Did you paint both sides of the calipers or only the front? In the video the guy decided just to paint the front and had only masked the area while leaving the calipers on. I imagine I would have to remove the calipers to complete both sides. Did you use one color or like this guy did use black or a different color on the back side? After I repeatedly heard this guy note the concern about loose paint brush fibers, I also thought about using higher quality brushes. This is encouraging and I figure I will get a kit as a present for my son for his birthday and we can do both his Impreza and my Ascent together.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
thanks for the info and link! Did you paint both sides of the calipers or only the front? In the video the guy decided just to paint the front and had only masked the area while leaving the calipers on. I imagine I would have to remove the calipers to complete both sides. Did you use one color or like this guy did use black or a different color on the back side? After I repeatedly heard this guy note the concern about loose paint brush fibers, I also thought about using higher quality brushes. This is encouraging and I figure I will get a kit as a present for my son for his birthday and we can do both his Impreza and my Ascent together.
You're going to need at least a couple kits and some extra brake cleaner and don't just think about using higher quality brushes, do it! Try stage3motorsports.com for the best price I've found anywhere on the kit. It ships straight from G2 with fast shipping once they finally get it out the door.

Depending on the results you want you should at least partially remove them like @pro10is stated. You'll have a little more access to get the backside that way.
I completely removed mine to paint them 360degrees, excluding any working surfaces. On the backside I'm not as worried about getting a uniform full coat on it, just enough for corrosion protection. On the visible sides I'm painting as thick, evenly, and neatly as possible. I'm messy so I didn't want any drips getting on my car. Of course its a bit messier removing them completely since it disconnects the brake line and requires new crush rings and bleeding the system. Either way you'll want to paint them outdoors or in a very well ventilated area.

Finally be sure you have time to do it right. Its taking me all weekend to get my fronts done. It took another weekend to get the rears done. I'm glad I'm doing them in pairs so I'm not rushing the painting as time drags on; It gets tedious!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Thanks OP, and others who posted theirs, for the motivation to do this.
She’s finally buttoned back up, test driven and looking sexy imho ?

View attachment 3221 View attachment 3223 View attachment 3222 View attachment 3224
P.S. pay no attention to the brake fluid on the driveway ?
so I wonder why on Amazon some reviewers had negative experiences. I am not talking about the reviewers who complain about the colors or even the cheap brush but the quality of the paint adhesion, does not hold up to brake fluid, remains tacky, streaks, peeling after a few weeks, shipped old paint and problems with self leveling. Some complained it set up much sooner than advertised (although to be fair they do state a range of time).

I wonder if some of those problems had to do with applying the paint too thick per coat and using the cheap brush provided. The issues around color are easily addressed by ordering the swatches. The issues involving expectations of content involves reading the faq and instructions before ordering.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was in the marine business and we manufactured thousands of boats over the years... long closed down now. But owners simply do not read instructions on how to apply coatings properly. More importantly they don't care. They typically cut every corner possible and when it fails, peels off or just looks like crap they try to blame the manufacturer. We learned the biggest setback to selling a boat was the the new owner themselves. They all want the end result but they are not prepared to do what it takes to get it done correctly. So when it doesn't work out for them the bad reviews begin.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I think it’s safe to follow up that they do clean up well. The paint dried glossy and smooth. I pressure wash it from the outside for a decent looking clean, then wipe it with a soft wash mit every once in a while when the wheel is off. I’m not even going to try spraying brake cleaner on it. That’s just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have mixed emotions about painting the calipers. It's a cool look, but it originated with after-market or upgraded high performance calipers that were painted bright colors to call attention to the fact. These are just the poopy stock cast iron lumps. It's kinda like, "Hey look, I painted my poopy stock cast iron lumps to look like high performance aftermarket parts." They aint Brembo or Wilwood or anything...though maybe you could get stickers to put them.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have mixed emotions about painting the calipers. It's a cool look, but it originated with after-market or upgraded high performance calipers that were painted bright colors to call attention to the fact. These are just the poopy stock cast iron lumps. It's kinda like, "Hey look, I painted my poopy stock cast iron lumps to look like high performance aftermarket parts." They aint Brembo or Wilwood or anything...though maybe you could get stickers to put them.
There are other reasons to paint them. Go to any parking lot and look at calipers on other cars. Most are rusty and look terrible. If you want to prevent them from becoming rusty but don't like the way they look, simply paint them black.

The calipers on the Ascent aren't that bad looking for stock units, they actually look decent painted, especially if you put a decal on them.

To each his own.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
so I wonder why on Amazon some reviewers had negative experiences. I am not talking about the reviewers who complain about the colors or even the cheap brush but the quality of the paint adhesion, does not hold up to brake fluid, remains tacky, streaks, peeling after a few weeks, shipped old paint and problems with self leveling. Some complained it set up much sooner than advertised (although to be fair they do state a range of time).

I wonder if some of those problems had to do with applying the paint too thick per coat and using the cheap brush provided. The issues around color are easily addressed by ordering the swatches. The issues involving expectations of content involves reading the faq and instructions before ordering.
You have to thoroughly degrease them with brake cleaner. If you don't, the paint won't stick. If done right there are no issues. Mine are a year old and still look new. The paint is holding up great.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
@Merope I had to talk someone with a Durango from adding covers to their calipers to look like upgraded ones. Making it look like something it’s not wouldn’t be cool.
Ive had a few questions about what kind of brakes mine are. Once they know it’s painted for corrosion protection (and to look a little cooler at the same time of course) they tend to be interested in doing their own too

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm just curious. I had planned to buy caliper covers like these. Is there an advantage to painting them instead?

Painting them will prevent them from rusting. In addition to making them look better, you're protecting them from rust. Caliper covers may also prevent them from dissipating heat as well as they could. Not to mention those prices are crazy expensive.

Caliper covers always look fake to me, but some people might like them.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I was just checking my calipers and they're zinc plated, which is usually pretty good at preventing rust. IDK how it'll look/last over the long term. The calipers on my wife's '04 Tundra are totally stealth. They've become a very dark flat brown color that you can barely see through the rims.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I was just checking my calipers and they're zinc plated, which is usually pretty good at preventing rust. IDK how it'll look/last over the long term. The calipers on my wife's '04 Tundra are totally stealth. They've become a very dark flat brown color that you can barely see through the rims.
Take a look at calipers in any parking lot. The coating often doesn't last more than a few years. My 2010 Forester calipers were disgusting to look at until I recently painted them.

But I live in a salt belt with tough winters. YMMV.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts