10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
For those of you who have not yet seen the body side molding and door edge guards yet, here's what they look like on a Magnetite Grey Metallic Subaru Ascent.

I was sooo back and forth about getting them, but I am glad I did. They look like they belong.

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2099638276743853&id=1181595818548108
I passed on the door edge guards, but may have to add that to my order since the are sooooo subtle and probably worth it with 2 kids and 3 cars in the garage

·
Registered
598 Posts
Our dealer included the door edge guards as part of the deal for free and while I wouldn’t pay for them normally now that we have them I think they are worth while. ESP since the rear doors open so far. I can see my kids swinging the doors open and slamming into something.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I did t get them and now after seeing them I kind of regret not building it in. May need to pick them up.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did t get them and now after seeing them I kind of regret not building it in. May need to pick them up.
Very easy install, and the instructions are readily available online, if you need them. If you have a relationship with your dealer's service department, they may just stick them on during regular service.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Very easy install, and the instructions are readily available online, if you need them. If you have a relationship with your dealer's service department, they may just stick them on during regular service.
Are the door edge guards the rubber looking pieces? LOL when I look up door edge guards for the ascent I get the long rectangular looking part similar to the body side molding.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are the door edge guards the rubber looking pieces? LOL when I look up door edge guards for the ascent I get the long rectangular looking part similar to the body side molding.
They're hard u shaped strips, I think pre-shaped to the contours of the door, from what they look like in the install manual (I've never seen them off the car). Very subtle, and feel very permanent.

·
Registered
234 Posts
They're hard u shaped strips, I think pre-shaped to the contours of the door, from what they look like in the install manual (I've never seen them off the car). Very subtle, and feel very permanent.
OK thanks. Will need to look into them. Def a good idea

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
556 Posts
To anyone that had the door edge guards installed at time of purchase - do they go all the way up the door (to the window)? Mine stop 5" below the window - just above the door handle. Thus, on the driver side door - it does not cover the last "curve" in the door that is the ONLY spot on the door that hits the garage wall.

At time of purchase, they said "that's the way they are doing them now". If so, that is a 1/2 finished decoration and not a door edge guard.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a video of the body side molding and door edge guards

To anyone that had the door edge guards installed at time of purchase - do they go all the way up the door (to the window)? Mine stop 5" below the window - just above the door handle. Thus, on the driver side door - it does not cover the last "curve" in the door that is the ONLY spot on the door that hits the garage wall.

At time of purchase, they said "that's the way they are doing them now". If so, that is a 1/2 finished decoration and not a door edge guard.
No, they do not. Here's a video I made...

https://www.facebook.com/SubaruAmbassadorRobert/videos/2099638276743853/

·
Registered
556 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Robert, you video shows the back door but not the front door - or at least I can't see them in the video. On the back door the part that "hits" is covered. Attached is a photo of what I'm talking about - it protects me against nothing on the front doors:
24 second mark, it stops about half inch from the body line, just like in your pic. Your's is correct. :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
24 second mark, it stops about half inch from the body line, just like in your pic. Your's is correct. :)

I can't spot it like I did on the back door. You might want to pull up to a wall and test it like I did. At no point does the drive side front door guard touch the wall at all. Mine stops exactly 5" from the top. I think the back one was 4-1/2 " but the critical "touch point" is covered on the back doors & is at a lower point on the back door.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took a pic for you.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts