Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just purchased a 2021 Crosstrek Sport and was surprised that once I connected my iPhone 11 to bluetooth I started experiencing audio stuttering over the bluetooth connection. There are times prefer to listen to music via bluetooth since I can just leave my phone in my pocket. I researched the problem and found plenty of blame going around for both Subaru and Apple. Since this was the first time I had experienced this type of stuttering in many years of connecting to bluetooth devices with an iPhone I decided to approach it more from the Subaru perspective. It still could be a compatibility issue between the 2 devices but I "think" I have a solution that works for me.

So I did a little more research and I'm fairly positive I have a solution for my situation. I can't speak for anyone else. My Crosstrek has the standard HU (I think). I do have the 8" screen but do not have the Harman Kardon version. I tried multiple things mentioned and that are normal when troubleshooting bluetooth issues. Re-pairing, etc. I wondered if if it might be an interference problem since WIFI and Bluetooth can share 2.4Ghz frequencies. I turned off the Wifi and drove around for 1/2 hr or so and no stuttering using a Bluetooth connection for audio. I turned it back on and within a couple of minutes the stuttering returned. Turned Wfi back off and it went away. I have no idea if this is what others are experiencing with Subaru HU's but I "think" it is resolved for me. I never heard a stutter once in my 30 minute drive when Wifi was turned off. Since I should only need the Wifi connection to do system updates I'll keep it off normally and turn it on to check for updates periodically.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
Keep in mind that different models of Subaru have different head unit manufacturers. The HK piece applies to the speaker system/amp, but not necessarily the head unit. You may want to post your situation in the Crosstrek forum since this one is focused on Ascent.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep in mind that different models of Subaru have different head unit manufacturers. The HK piece applies to the speaker system/amp, but not necessarily the head unit. You may want to post your situation in the Crosstrek forum since this one is focused on Ascent.
Thanks. I planned on doing that as well. I posted it here after some of my research led me to this forum. Bluetooth issues can be somewhat generic in nature and I thought my comments might be helpful for others that had experienced similar problems as I had and save them some time trying to figure out a fix.

·
Administrator
828 Posts
Welcome to the forums @busby and great first post...

Safe to say you have more than one Subaru in your stable? Have you checked out www.subaruxvforum.com for your Crosstrek?

Total self promotion on that... lol

C.

Also...

Quote:

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
32 Posts
I just bought a brand new 21 Touring and it has the same problem, iOS 14.3 with 11 Pro Max. It doesn’t matter if I stream through media or use the Pandora app to stream from my phone. It seems to happen about 15 minutes after the car has been running. Sometimes it gets very jumpy and others it’s not very noticeable. My 19 Impreza does it as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I just purchased a 2021 Crosstrek Sport and was surprised that once I connected my iPhone 11 to bluetooth I started experiencing audio stuttering over the bluetooth connection. There are times prefer to listen to music via bluetooth since I can just leave my phone in my pocket. I researched the problem and found plenty of blame going around for both Subaru and Apple. Since this was the first time I had experienced this type of stuttering in many years of connecting to bluetooth devices with an iPhone I decided to approach it more from the Subaru perspective. It still could be a compatibility issue between the 2 devices but I "think" I have a solution that works for me.

So I did a little more research and I'm fairly positive I have a solution for my situation. I can't speak for anyone else. My Crosstrek has the standard HU (I think). I do have the 8" screen but do not have the Harman Kardon version. I tried multiple things mentioned and that are normal when troubleshooting bluetooth issues. Re-pairing, etc. I wondered if if it might be an interference problem since WIFI and Bluetooth can share 2.4Ghz frequencies. I turned off the Wifi and drove around for 1/2 hr or so and no stuttering using a Bluetooth connection for audio. I turned it back on and within a couple of minutes the stuttering returned. Turned Wfi back off and it went away. I have no idea if this is what others are experiencing with Subaru HU's but I "think" it is resolved for me. I never heard a stutter once in my 30 minute drive when Wifi was turned off. Since I should only need the Wifi connection to do system updates I'll keep it off normally and turn it on to check for updates periodically.
Thank you this fixed the issue in my Ascent as well

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
32 Posts
This doesn’t work if you have a base model with no WiFi and no STARLINK. My only work around is to abandon the Bluetooth and USB the device instead to prevent bad feedback.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
This doesn’t work if you have a base model with no WiFi and no STARLINK. My only work around is to abandon the Bluetooth and USB the device instead to prevent bad feedback.
If you have an iWatch, try disconnecting that from your iPhone and turning off its wifi.

·
Super Moderator
2,590 Posts
If you have an iWatch, try disconnecting that from your iPhone and turning off its wifi.
*Apple Watch 😉

I just wanted to take a moment and chime in on this post. Threads like this make the forum great!
I almost never stream Bluetooth to my Ascent so I have no idea if mine had any issues skipping before today. I tried streaming after updating to iOS15 today and the audio was choppy then tried to catch up from each skip so it sped up intermittently too! Turning off the wifi on my head unit fixed it and I’m happily streaming while typing this (parked).
Anyway I figured I’d revive this in case anyone else needs to see it. Y’all are awesome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nailed it! We just got a brand New 2022 Ascent and the same exact issue was occurring.
Not only did our Bluetooth skip, but the audio quality was lousy.
I read this post, sitting in my silent car, navigated to the WiFi setting, pressed Off, and boom, instant quality music filled the car.

Thanks busby!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts