Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So dealer emailed on Friday that car was offloaded at Rail yard in Dallas and should be in Houston next week. To my surprise I received the picture today that it has arrived at the dealership at lunchtime.

Now to get all the insurance and finance sorted out ASAP - thought I had till the end of the week. :eek:

Do you guys and girls especially our insiders think lifetime oil changes and seat stain coverage ($850,$750 each) being offered as optional extras is worth considering adding on to the financing.

It is a replacement for my wife's car from the current leased explorer and she is very excited to get back in to a Subaru again. This will be Subaru no 6, first 5 were 3 Foresters and 2 Outbacks.
Of course will post pictures as soon as I get my hands on it probably only Thursday as I am out of town till then.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
Not worth it those are typically dealer specific deals. Meaning you move and your new dealer will just give you a blank look.

When financing a car never ever add extras. Only finance the car.

I highly suggest you go read the Edmunds.com buying a car tips page.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a different opinion:

Lifetime oil changes for $850 can be worth it depending on the costs to change oil in your area v. how long you plan to stay in your area v. how much you drive. If the car requires an oil change every 3000 miles or so, and you drive about 12k miles a year, that's 4 oil changes annually. In my area, an oil change is at least $50 each for a regular car (e.g., Chevy Volt), which equates to $200/year. By these numbers, you'd break even after about 4 years. I'm guessing the Ascent will cost more for an oil change simply because it requires more oil. If you keep the car and stay in the area for 5+ years, I think it's worth it.

If my local dealer offered me lifetime oil changes for $850, I'd personally take it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Lifetime oil changes for $850 can be worth it depending on the costs to change oil in your area v. how long you plan to stay in your area v. how much you drive. If the car requires an oil change every 3000 miles or so, and you drive about 12k miles a year, that's 4 oil changes annually. In my area, an oil change is at least $50 each for a regular car (e.g., Chevy Volt), which equates to $200/year. By these numbers, you'd break even after about 4 years. I'm guessing the Ascent will cost more for an oil change simply because it requires more oil. If you keep the car and stay in the area for 5+ years, I think it's worth it.

If my local dealer offered me lifetime oil changes for $850, I'd personally take it in a heartbeat.

As an employee I'd take lifetime oil changes for $850!! lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
So dealer emailed on Friday that car was offloaded at Rail yard in Dallas and should be in Houston next week. To my surprise I received the picture today that it has arrived at the dealership at lunchtime.

Did they give you the July 2nd date as well? I'm in Dallas, and I have an ETA of July2nd and I am hoping (like everyone else) it gets here before then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Agree the oil change deal is attractive if you break it down to 4 changes a year and we do intend to stay put in the same area and keep the car for 5 years minimum so will be worth considering looking at it that way!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I can't find time to do DIY oil change on schedule, at 6000mi interval for my other car, because it can be a lengthy process. However, for Subaru, there's no reason to take it to the dealer. It takes only 3-5min, oppose to 1-2hr w/ appointment (from the time you leave the house and get home).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did they give you the July 2nd date as well? I'm in Dallas, and I have an ETA of July2nd and I am hoping (like everyone else) it gets here before then.
Had a beginning of July date when all the end of June dates bounced forward in June.

Ordered on the 24th of February if that helps at all.

Good luck with yours hope it makes a surprise early appearance too.

·
Registered
217 Posts

No dealer is going to change your oil every 3000 miles with that deal. Go by the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ask them to give you the $850 instead and then DIY. Couldn't be any easier (or faster) for these cars, with a Fumoto drain valve, and filters on top under the hood. Faster and easier than washing your car...

·
Registered
14 Posts
when i purchased my outback and the oil change was offered (also about 850), i was told by the accountant (Subaru dealer) that based on contract, the dealer can not refuse me even if i come in to change every day.

i personally do not know it's just her own understanding, or it's what good interpretation of the contract based on her expert opinion.

i did not buy at that time and may come back to buy it. not because I can change oil every other day, just to change four times per year should be worth it (i would put 20000 miles anyway per year, so it's about 5000 miles per oil change)

No dealer is going to change your oil every 3000 miles with that deal. Go by the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
78 Posts
when i purchased my outback and the oil change was offered (also about 850), i was told by the accountant (Subaru dealer) that based on contract, the dealer can not refuse me even if i come in to change every day.

i personally do not know it's just her own understanding, or it's what good interpretation of the contract based on her expert opinion.

i did not buy at that time and may come back to buy it. not because I can change oil every other day, just to change four times per year should be worth it (i would put 20000 miles anyway per year, so it's about 5000 miles per oil change)

Get the contract, take it home and read it carefully. The written contract is all that counts.

It's very tempting for salespeople to verbally imply or seem to promise literally anything, if they think that will close the deal and get them some $ for the day. Their words put them under no legal obligation, since they can always simply deny that they said what you claim they said.

Also, remember that your same dealer and their local Subaru competitors will be filling your mailbox with coupons and ads for discount parts and service deals, very often for oil changes, and the cost will be a lot less than the "list price".

I don't see the savings in laying out money in advance, especially not borrowed money, for services that I may not use over an extended period, or that I could probably get for less if I pay ala carte.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wanted to add to also check if your dealer has the Share the Love program where maintenance is already covered 2y/24000m.

Good idea. It's a Subaru regional program, Maintain the love complimentary maintenance, and Texas has been in one of those regions on the past. This would easy to find on the dealer's website if they are in the region.

If the OP bought from a dealer that's in a "maintain the love" region, and the dealer did not tell the OP about the program, and make sure that the OP understood it, then somebody on the dealer staff really screwed up and did not do their job. Maybe time to call SOA and get clarity about this.

It wouldn't be the first time that sales staff has tried to sell redundant services. I mean: something is already provided under a new car or factory program or warranty, and the dealer then wants to sell you an additional $$ contract for the same thing, but probably at some decontented service level. It's worthless because if you every try to use it, you'll be told to use the other coverage first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.