Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was surprised with blue smoke . Engine is turbocharged . Have stopped pumping gas at shutoff and touching gas at startup. May be my imagination but seems better . Am continuing to monitor.

·
Registered
561 Posts
There is no need to touch anything but the start button to get the car fired up. Pumping the gas at shut-off or even touching the gas at start up is never necessary and can do no good. I doubt that's causing blue smoke, but still, stop doing that!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yep. In the old days it was necessary to push the gas pedal to allow the choke to close (and to open once the engine warmed up.) Also, the accelerator pump could add a shot of fuel to help a cold engine start if you pumped the pedal. None of that applies anymore with these modern EFI engines. As SkiPro3 advises, the best and only thing to do is press the start button, or turn the key to start (if so equipped). Personally, I usually let the engine idle for 3-5 seconds before putting it in gear and driving off, taking it pretty easy until the temperature gauge starts to indicate.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
There is no need to touch anything but the start button to get the car fired up. Pumping the gas at shut-off or even touching the gas at start up is never necessary and can do no good. I doubt that's causing blue smoke, but still, stop doing that!
technically you have to press the brake pedal also or it wont start ;)
but they're right. pressing the gas likely isnt doing anyting during startup. the computer controls how much gas/air to give it to start it. revving immediately after startup just isnt a good idea till the engine warms up a little.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
for the blue smoke though, does it do it every time or just on occasion?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

1 - 6 of 6 Posts