Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a setting that when you have someone on your blind spot and you hit the turn signal that it produces a sound not just the light?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Is there a setting that when you have someone on your blind spot and you hit the turn signal that it produces a sound not just the light?
There's no chime, especially on the Ascent's adaptive blind spot detection. It'll turn on the light a lot sooner for cars coming up in the next lane at a lot higher speed than ones inching up. It actually judges when it's no longer safe to change lanes based on the speed of the approaching car.

Here's a cool vid to watch:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’m with you. I like the warning chime if I put my indicator / turn signal on when a car is detected in the blind spot. When it didn’t happen, I too thought there must be a setting I missed.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I was also shocked to learn there was no alarm/chime. I feel like I've adjusted and just focus on my mirrors more which actually works considering the light is on the inside. Still wish the chime was optional though ;)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I was also shocked to learn there was no alarm/chime. I feel like I've adjusted and just focus on my mirrors more which actually works considering the light is on the inside. Still wish the chime was optional though ;)
Yep, also promotes safer driving. Alas, too many people never check their blind spots, even with no blind spot detection. I know it's keeping me thoroughly checking now. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
210 Posts
It'll turn on the light a lot sooner for cars coming up in the next lane at a lot higher speed than ones inching up. It actually judges when it's no longer safe to change lanes based on the speed of the approaching car.

I love this feature sooo much!

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was also shocked to learn there was no alarm/chime. I feel like I've adjusted and just focus on my mirrors more which actually works considering the light is on the inside. Still wish the chime was optional though /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
Yep, also promotes safer driving. Alas, too many people never check their blind spots, even with no blind spot detection. I know it's keeping me thoroughly checking now.
I had good habits until blind spot detection (and chime) came along....side & rear mirror check, looking over shoulder etc. Blind spot detection made the process easier and some of those habits dropped (like looking over my shoulder).

Agreed it should not replace the fundamental habits but there have been times when I’ve absentmindedly flipped the turn signal / indicator without checking the mirror first and been warned with a chime.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had good habits until blind spot detection (and chime) came along....side & rear mirror check, looking over shoulder etc. Blind spot detection made the process easier and some of those habits dropped (like looking over my shoulder).

Agreed it should not replace the fundamental habits but there have been times when I’ve absentmindedly flipped the turn signal / indicator without checking the mirror first and been warned with a chime.

I have very intentionally tried to keep the habit of looking over my shoulder before I even put my turn my turn signal on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm so glad there is no chime or ding. I love that it is just the light :)
Last thing I want is ANOTHER Subaru "safety sound" especially for lane changes/blind spot. Subaru already makes too many beeps/chimes/alerts and in my Ford with similar type of technology it is MUCH quieter (except for the forward collision warning which in the Fords lowers the radio volume with the visual/audio alert when triggered/alerting)

People just need to pay better attention to driving vs. all the electronic "nannies" that is creating LESS attentive driving.

·
Registered
43 Posts
People just need to pay better attention to driving vs. all the electronic "nannies" that is creating LESS attentive driving.
So I take it you turn off your front collision avoidance, lane departure warning and other electronic “nannies”?

The reality is that driving has become much more dangerous in many ways with increased distractions from numerous sources and bad / reckless driving from people in too much of a hurry or simply don’t give a darn about others on the road.

While it could be argued that we are becoming lazy drivers with all these electronic nannies filling (or creating) the gap, they are becoming more necessary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
no I don't turn them off typically as they are good to have "just in case" vs relying on them ...

--> OK in the Forester I often turn off/don't turn on the lane keep assist as it's too aggressive and jerky in town with our many construction zones.

For an upcoming road-trip i'll use it a bit on the long freeway miles.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
I've got an Ascent Limited for an overnight test drive and not being able to separately control all of the warning tones and beeps might be a deal breaker. My 10 year old Mazda has the blind spot flash in the mirror and also a beep when the turn signal is used. I've had more than one situation where someone moved into the blind spot after the shoulder and mirror check and the beep kept me from changing lane.

This might actually be a deal breaker for us. Have to see how the telluride, Highlander and Acadia stack up for our needs.

·
Super Moderator
2,419 Posts
I've had more than one situation where someone moved into the blind spot after the shoulder and mirror check and the beep kept me from changing lane.
I recommend changing your shoulder check to include all vehicles who could end up in your blind spots, not just vehicles that are there. Then change lanes while watching your mirrors and you’ll never miss one of those cars with or without blind spot indicators.
It’s important to drive a vehicle you’re comfortable driving of course. Enjoy test driving them all!

·
Banned
85 Posts
Not sure if it's on all Telluride and Palisade trims but both of those cars when turn signal is on to change lanes there is a camera that activates and driver can see the blind spot in real time on the dash.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
That great big flashing light on the side of the mirror is hard to miss, much better in my opinion than a little dot on the mirror. If your used to a tone, I can understand missing that, but it won't take long to trust a different system.

We have a blind spot camera on our Accord Hybrid, I'd much rather have the Accent's warning lights.

There are a lot of custom settings for all of the different beeps, I think some are better off with just the warning light but it's nice to have choices.

Good luck with your vehicle hunting!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
I recommend changing your shoulder check to include all vehicles who could end up in your blind spots, not just vehicles that are there. Then change lanes while watching your mirrors and you’ll never miss one of those cars with or without blind spot indicators.
It’s important to drive a vehicle you’re comfortable driving of course. Enjoy test driving them all!
Situation - 4+interstate lanes, shoulder and mirror checks show room to move 1 lane to the right. Lane to the right is empty for dozens of car lengths. There's a car 2 lanes to the right and three car lengths back. Signal to move right and said vehicle without signaling, quickly moves to his left and accelerates because he decides to pass. The blind spot beep is there as a backup.

The Ascent already has warning sounds up the wazoo and the menu system appears to group them together so it's almost an all or nothing, sounds or no sounds. Just seems it wouldn't have taken much effort and no cost at all to put a sub menu that allowed each sound to be turned on or off. In my limited time with the demo, the lane departure warning/lka isn't useful in the land of interstate construction detours, lane keeping would have liked to run me into a few barriers so I turned it off. Just saying, I like the blind spot beep over the light.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've been able to turn off tones I don't want and leaves those I do want on. It took some poking around to do. Heck, you can even turn off the seat belt beeper if you know the trick.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
The problem with audible blind spot alerts is that people don't look at all.

I think it will be disappearing more and more, because it probably does more harm than good, especially with today's distracted driver.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts