Subaru Ascent Forum banner

blast of music when phonecall ends?

8K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Jim_in_PA 
#1 ·
Any time a phonecall ends, as the infotainment is switching back to radio (sat, media, fm, etc...) there is a fractional second's worth of EXTREMELY loud music (or a blast of static) before it returns to the initial level. The volume level on the screen never reflects any sort of change from the previous level, and the fact that it's usually whatever was playing in the background leads me to believe it's infotainment based, and not from my phone.

There was one time where the music came back on at what sounded like vol:50 and took several seconds before frantically mashing the volume button to turn off the infotainment was successful. Scared the bejeezus out of the kids, too!

This can't be that common of an issue, but I'm hard-pressed to believe that our vehicle is the only one that it has happened to.

Anyone else?

#2 ·
I had this happen with a couple versions of Android auto. And not sure when it stopped happening on mine, but I am running the same firmware on the radio as when it was happening. So, I presume it was an Android auto or Bluetooth issue.

#3 ·
I also hear a short blast of high volume radio at the end of iPhone Bluetooth calls, maybe a half second. I'm pretty sure it's because I have the volume for calls set to near the maximum while the radio is set to around 10. I'm guessing it has to switch from the phone to the radio then set the volume to the correct radio level and that takes a bit of time.

There is probably a more elegant way to do this.

I wonder if I turned up the call volume on my phone and turned down the cars call volume it would fix this?

#6 ·
I'm guessing it has to switch from the phone to the radio then set the volume to the correct radio level and that takes a bit of time.

There is probably a more elegant way to do this.

I wonder if I turned up the call volume on my phone and turned down the cars call volume it would fix this?
I agree. It's almost as if the transition from phone audio to radio audio defaults to max, and then has lower volume previous setting applied later. This would presumably the eliminated by starting with audio default to a minimum and then raised to previous volume setting. Literally do it the opposite of what it appears to be doing now.

#8 ·
I just recently experienced this problem out of the blue and came here hoping there was a fix - this seems (fingers crossed...) to have done the trick.??

I usually have the radio volume at 7- 9 but at some point I had maxed out the call volume at 38?. While on a call (parked?) this evening I maxed the volume on my iPhone as suggested and lowered the head unit’s to 15 - voila!

#9 ·
Any time a phonecall ends, as the infotainment is switching back to radio (sat, media, fm, etc...) there is a fractional second's worth of EXTREMELY loud music (or a blast of static) before it returns to the initial level. The volume level on the screen never reflects any sort of change from the previous level, and the fact that it's usually whatever was playing in the background leads me to believe it's infotainment based, and not from my phone.

There was one time where the music came back on at what sounded like vol:50 and took several seconds before frantically mashing the volume button to turn off the infotainment was successful. Scared the bejeezus out of the kids, too!

This can't be that common of an issue, but I'm hard-pressed to believe that our vehicle is the only one that it has happened to.

Anyone else?
Mine has been doing this for weeks, I have already had the entire system replaced and the new system is doing this. My 2yr old was asleep in the back seat and woke crying deom this issue.

#10 · (Edited)
See the above posts.

A new infotainment system won't fix this problem, but you can prevent it by settng your phone's call volume to the maximum then lower the Ascent's call volume to below 20. When it switchs back to the radio or whatever after your phone call it won't blast out.

#15 · (Edited)
If any of you have found a true resolution to this issue, please share who your dealership was so that my dealership can figure it out. I have been through 2 iPhone models, am using an Apple chord to connect when I want to use carplay, have tried the volume levels (even having both the radio and phone at their lowest levels). This happens at the end of phone calls and the beginning and sometimes end of texts, both on bluetooth and connected. Most recently, the radio unit was replaced and it still is happening! Beyond tired of it after more than a year!!
2019 Ascent Touring

#16 ·
Assuming you have the most recent firmware, this is a known Carplay and Android Auto "ducking" issue. Subaru cannot fix it.

#20 ·
I'm hoping a permanent fix is implemented. I suspect that they fix it for one set of head unit implementations, and in doing so, break it for another set, and on and on and on. Only one of these various Android Auto complaints is a Subaru, for instance.

#23 ·
The few times I've had this happen in vehicles (and always with BT which I don't really use in the Ascent, preferring CarPlay), updating the firmware to the most current cured it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.