Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring stock.... for meow.
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried installing any of the Black Rhino or LP Adventure wheels in 17"? I don't know what the load rating of LP Adventure wheels are, awaiting an email back.

Of the Black Rhino wheels that I like are the Arches, Barsto, Boxer, Chase (offset is +10 though so that may not fit well) , Rumble (only rated at 1600lbs, very close, but we don't plan on doing anything heavy), Sandstorom, Trabuco and the York.

We just got a 2021 Ascent Touring in white. I would like to get 17's mainly because tires are far cheaper, these are primarily for winter tires and we plan on keeping the car for 10+ years so thats going to be 2 or 3 sets fo snow tires. I am thinking about getting a set of 17's or 18's for the summer as well possibly. I prefer not to get black wheels, just rather have a wheel that pops a little. Currently I am looking to get the Method 502 in Titanium Gunmetal, wife doesn't like the Bronze and it is primarily her car. Gotta keep her happy.

Thanks guys!!

Not the greatest picture, but thats my truck in the background....you can see I like bronze wheels;)

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Keep in mind the total weight of each wheel. When I changed to 17” wheels with the same overall size tire I gained ~3lb at each corner. Sure, the tires were cheaper, but over 40k mi (hopefully, but probably not) that I may have these tires I’ll end up spending more in gas.
They sure do look good though. Worth it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep in mind the total weight of each wheel. When I changed to 17” wheels with the same overall size tire I gained ~3lb at each corner. Sure, the tires were cheaper, but over 40k mi (hopefully, but probably not) that I may have these tires I’ll end up spending more in gas.
They sure do look good though. Worth it!
Ya, I took that into account as well. Since I am looking primarily at the Method 502 and Nitto SN2 winter tires. Assuming the same wheel and tire, here are the weight differences:

17"
Method 502 - 27.8lbs
Tires - 34lbs (Load 107T)
Total - 61.8lbs

18"
Method 502 - 28.7lbs
Tires - 35lbs (Load 105T)
Total - 63.7lbs

Oddly enough the 17" tires have a higher load rating, probably because they are a common size for small trucks like the Tacoma. I don't know the weight of the OEM 20' wheels, but I assume they are considerably heavier. I know the info is somewhere on here but I haven't looked for it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,590 Posts
There are only a few 17" wheels that can be used with the Ascent. Aside from the load factors, there is also brake clearance which is uber-tight. This has been discussed previously and you should be able to find more information in this forum discussion area.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are only a few 17" wheels that can be used with the Ascent. Aside from the load factors, there is also brake clearance which is uber-tight. This has been discussed previously and you should be able to find more information in this forum discussion area.
Yup, that’s what I’ve notice. There is a person with 17” Fifteen52 Ascent wheels on the “Modded Ascent” Facebook page. Which is now what I’m going with. I’m ordering them in Magnesium Grey from Discount Tire locally. BTW, they have ALL Fifteen52 wheels 25% off till the end of the month! I will post photos when I get them. I am between the Nitto SN2 and Nokian Hakka 8 snow tires. I have had Nokian R3’s and love those but a friend of mine who’s been in the business with many subarus and audis with many kinds of snow tires has been highly impressed with the Nitto SN2’s when compared to the different Blizzaks he has ran.

We should defiantly make a sticky thread for people running 17’s so others can know without having to search fairly deep.

This is a photo of said wheels on the ascent I mentioned from the Modded Ascent Facebook page. This is NOT my car, just showing they do fit.

And this is my wife choosing between Frosted Graphite (left) and Magnesium Grey (right). It’s primarily her car so I gotta keep her happy. Lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shipping on the wheels and tires was faster than expected!!! Now just waiting on the lug nuts....hopefully they'll be here Sat or Mon. But here's what we have so far! The tires I got on Ebay and they came from Tire Buyer, less than 24hrs after I ordered them!!!

Here's the tires, not the best pictures. Sorry.

And here are the wheels!!!!!

My wife will soon have a higher baller status than my Tacoma! haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts