Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found success with purchasing one of these? We're looking to carry 4 bikes total. The choices are overwhelming! I want to keep the cost under $200 if possible so that eliminates the Thule rack Subaru sells as an accessory.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have not been in the market for one of these for quite some time. I doubt you will find a tray type for 2 bikes under $200 let alone a 4 bike one. Keep in mind some of those tray types can get heavy once they are outfitted for 4 bikes. My 10+ year old yakima weighs close to 100lbs!

It will come down to what kind of bikes you have. If you are rocking the Walmart special, then the rack type which touches the frames will probably be OK for you. If you have bikes that are more than a mortgage payment, you probably want trays which only touch the wheels.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Gotta imagine people tire of me chiming in with this, but I’m very very impressed with our rack from 1up-USA.com. Fast, solid, straightforward. But a stiff initial investment. But the cost will disappear with your satisfaction.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Gotta imagine people tire of me chiming in with this, but I’m very very impressed with our rack from 1up-USA.com. Fast, solid, straightforward. But a stiff initial investment. But the cost will disappear with your satisfaction.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think your budget eliminates tray style racks. Your best bet is post style racks. Yakima cheapest is $250. I’m sure Thule’s aftermarket selection has the something similarly priced.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I use a swagman 2 but they make a 4 also. I like it it fits a wide range of bike sizes and frame shapes. All steel very little plastic. Very simple design and very affordable. My mom has had hers for 8 yrs uses it a bunch on her Legacy. Same experience it’s been pretty good.

Only negative it doesn’t tip away for rear hatch access. The newer one might.

I use mine on local trail trips. Longer trips I’m typically two bikes on the roof and two on our trailer.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
SM, I had that Allen a few years ago so I could take my girls to ride at a large, local park. (we're in a rural area on a busy road that's not appropriate for kids to ride bikes on) It was quite functional and given the hitch receiver on my Grand Cherokee was similarly placed to the Ascent OEM hitch, my visibility experience was probably about the same...some blocking. Nature of the beast. The one I Had could also tilt down so that one could open the lift gate. (bikes off, of course) It a functional solution but not "top of the line", but for a hundred bucks is a good buy for non-hard-core bike transit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking the same "Allen" brand one you were..

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-...gateway&sr=8-3

...I read in one of the reviews, that they offer a $10 rebate if you place a 5 star rating on Amazon...so now I don't know if I can trust the reviews. I guess for a little over $100 it's worth a shot regardless?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I was looking the same "Allen" brand one you were..

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-...gateway&sr=8-3

...I read in one of the reviews, that they offer a $10 rebate if you place a 5 star rating on Amazon...so now I don't know if I can trust the reviews. I guess for a little over $100 it's worth a shot regardless?
Swagman always seems to get good reviews from what I've seen the last couple of years. It was something I considered when I bought my rack. It all depends on your needs and the kind of bikes you are transporting. I have a fat bike and carbon framed bike so my choices were a bit limited. The carbon frames don't like things pressing on them so I went with a platform rack that locks onto the tire. I know the Thule T2 Pro XT is outside of what you had in mind, but it's a fantastic rack and I've seen them on the second hand market sell for $200-250 because people buy them and never use them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I owned a BuzzRack, 2 bike rack. It was light weight, and worked fine. It is not a heavy duty rack, nor did it offer any way to lock the bikes to the frame, other than with cable and lock. But the rack worked fine. They also offer a four bike rack. The bikes are secured with straps to a center post, and straps for the wheels. This rack is just over $200 on Amazon. Typically I think they limit the weight to about 35 lbs/bike.

https://www.amazon.com/BUZZRACK-Express-Platform-Hitch-Rack/dp/B00U8CWL0W?th=1&psc=1

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I love my Swingdaddy and look forward to using it on my new Ascent with the OEM hitch, although more than you wanted to spend. I used it on my other vehicles that had a two inch hitch but had to store it for some years until I was back in the proper vehicle. I hated the roof racks and I am not a fan of the trunk racks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone found success with purchasing one of these? We're looking to carry 4 bikes total. The choices are overwhelming! I want to keep the cost under $200 if possible so that eliminates the Thule rack Subaru sells as an accessory.
Check out the Draftmaster - AOTC brand of racks. They make a 4 bike rack, and it is great for that many bikes.

Draftmaster for almost any cycle

I have one and have logged thousands of miles with it. Glad I got it. It does require that you remove front wheels, but it is a solid rack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts