Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what people are doing for hitch mounted bike rack options. To my knowledge, 2” hitch on the Ascent is a first for Subaru factory accessories (1 1/4 on all other models). This opens up more possibilities for heavier duty racks, more bikes, etc, including from their partner Thule.

Specifically, I’d be interested in the Thule T2 Pro XT, but it’s not listed as an available accessory through Subaru (yet). My two main requirements are zero frame contact and ability to secure the bikes and rack. Bonus if the rack will accommodate a long wheelbase bike (up to 52 inches)

Also considering the quik-rack (either 1up USA or Mach 2, if they ever start production), Kuat, etc.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The new trend is vertical racks. The Ascent isn’t special it just has a good load rating allowing for more weight ie bikes etc.

Vertical does a few things. Keeps the load closer to the back of the car, also allows for longer frames and not having tires sticking out width wise past the sides of the car. If I were hitch racking more than two bikes I would seriously look into the vertical rack systems.

4+ bikes hung off the back running side to side stick out nearly 4 ft off the back of the car. Its a massive pain to maneuver in tight parking lots and a big levered load off the back.

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
Wondering what people are doing for hitch mounted bike rack options. To my knowledge, 2” hitch on the Ascent is a first for Subaru factory accessories (1 1/4 on all other models). This opens up more possibilities for heavier duty racks, more bikes, etc, including from their partner Thule.

Specifically, I’d be interested in the Thule T2 Pro XT, but it’s not listed as an available accessory through Subaru (yet). My two main requirements are zero frame contact and ability to secure the bikes and rack. Bonus if the rack will accommodate a long wheelbase bike (up to 52 inches)

Also considering the quik-rack (either 1up USA or Mach 2, if they ever start production), Kuat, etc.
Hey man, I'm going to try holding out for the quik-rack mach 2.

If you have a carbon bike or wheels, you may want to read this: https://enve.app.box.com/s/h0d1na9e3rgep5c5wjny2ugq666xlahx I'm concerned because the exhausts point back. Looking at the hitch rack Subaru has as an add on - the wheels sit in front of the exhausts. So I'm looking towards a platform rack.

Mach 2 is my first choice, but I'm far back in the line so it might not be available until Fall or Winter...ugh I don't want to support 1upusa especially if the guy screwed over the inventor/engineer, but also I've read too many stories of it loosening up over road trips.

Thule T2 Pro XT looks good, but pricey.

INNO INH305 - There's a rumor there is a newer model coming this summer

Considering Swagman Sitkka 2 Bike Rack + Hollywood Racks Sportrider Se Hitch Rack, Black

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm prolly going with one of these options although they are EXPENSIVE! the price may be worth piece of mind however. I've never used the THULE version of the hitch mount that subaru offers directly but that is also an option I may go with.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Note that the hitch on the Ascent sits up mid bumper. Any tray style rack will have the bike tires sitting level with the bottom of the rear hatch probably about as far from any hot exhaust fumes as you’ll ever get with a hitch rack. I can promise thats not an issue. The other bonus being that added height gets the tray /bike up out of hood range of the typical car hood reducing the chances of a bike sandwich in a rearender.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hey man, I'm going to try holding out for the quik-rack mach 2.

If you have a carbon bike or wheels, you may want to read this: https://enve.app.box.com/s/h0d1na9e3rgep5c5wjny2ugq666xlahx I'm concerned because the exhausts point back. Looking at the hitch rack Subaru has as an add on - the wheels sit in front of the exhausts. So I'm looking towards a platform rack.

Mach 2 is my first choice, but I'm far back in the line so it might not be available until Fall or Winter...ugh I don't want to support 1upusa especially if the guy screwed over the inventor/engineer, but also I've read too many stories of it loosening up over road trips.

Thule T2 Pro XT looks good, but pricey.

INNO INH305 - There's a rumor there is a newer model coming this summer

Considering Swagman Sitkka 2 Bike Rack + Hollywood Racks Sportrider Se Hitch Rack, Black
I run a Swagman bought it after my mom had one for a few yrs. very simple rack no complaints great two bike option. I paid $130 Amazon for mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the idea of a vertical rack, but they don’t seem to work that well with road bikes (or small kids bikes). For reference, I have two road bikes, three 26” wheel hardtails, one 29” wheel full suspension, one 16” wheel kids bike, and I have ambitions to get a very long wheelbase long travel 29er (Pole Machine).

Although rarely will I ever have more than three bikes on the rack; usually only one or two.

I also worry about vertical clearance with a vertical rack.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been running the Thule T2 Pro XT for about a year. I chose this specifically over several others for several reasons: 1) Tray style to accommodate a wide range of frame sizes and styles, 2) Wheel trays to accommodate road - fat tires, 3) single-handed lever for raising and lowering.

I love the rack - however - I bought the 2-bike rack and added the 2-bike extension, thinking it would be easy to swap the extension on/off depending on my capacity needs. It is not easy at all. It is meant to stay 2 or 4-up, but not really to be changed back and forth.

I would choose this rack again.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Regarding kids bikes the really little kids bikes didn’t fit the swagman tray style rack. But my kids larger 20 and 24 inchers fit snug under the bar that holds the bike down.

·
Registered
591 Posts
This is the bike rack I currently use with my Xterra. https://www.performancebike.com/shop/bike-tools-transport/bike-transport/hitch-mount/transit-flatbed-4dlx-4-bike-hitch-rack-40-0176

I wanted something that was inexpensive as my boys are just getting into riding but have found it to work great for a variety of sizes including bikes with 16" to 29" wheels. It takes a bit to get everything right but well worth it for the low cost especially if you buy it on sale I think it was below $200 for a bit. If we ride more often I'll probably get the Saris Freedom Superclamp bike rack.

Downsides of the rack I have is that you cannot access the hatch with bikes on it on as it doesn't fold down. If you take the bikes off you can move the center bar to get into the hatch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SOA wrote me back- they’re working on accessories for the Ascent; check back in the summer for updated accessories. My dealer is selling options and accessories at invoice with the purchase of the vehicle, so if I go with the Thule, and if the Thule is available from Subaru, it should be a pretty good deal.

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
SOA wrote me back- they’re working on accessories for the Ascent; check back in the summer for updated accessories. My dealer is selling options and accessories at invoice with the purchase of the vehicle, so if I go with the Thule, and if the Thule is available from Subaru, it should be a pretty good deal.
hmm, what additional accessories?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Most often its yakima. But generally speaking better deals can be had via Amazon and craigs list. Buy cars from dealers buy tablets from computer sources, buy bike racks from bike gear sellers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm, what additional accessories?
I asked SOA if they would offer up additional Thule options with the Ascent since it uses a 2” hitch versus all other Subaru models that use a 1 1/4” hitch. Their reply:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to contact us.

We welcome your contact, as it relates to the 2019 Subaru Ascent. All of the available information can be found on our site. We do not have a full accessory list yet. We would recommend checking back during the summer months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most often its yakima. But generally speaking better deals can be had via Amazon and craigs list. Buy cars from dealers buy tablets from computer sources, buy bike racks from bike gear sellers.
99.9% of the time, this advice is spot-on. I was very surprised to find that Subaru isn’t putting large markups on Thule equipment they’re selling. A Thule Helium Aero 2 bike carrier MSRP is $379; Subaru lists what appears to be an identical rack for $369. Since my dealer has offered to sell me accessories at invoice, I would assume that would be a better discount than typical street price for the rack.

Of course, this only matters if I decide to go with the Thule rack, and if Subaru decides to offer the Thule rack I want.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Has anyone found the install instructions for this Thule 4-bike hitch mount bike rack offered through subaru (part #SOA567B050)?

·
Registered
49 Posts
1 - 20 of 83 Posts