Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Been awhile since I've been on the forums, but had a question. I'm getting the hitch installed this week and I'm wanting to get a bike rack.

I'm looking at the Thule Apex XT Swing 4.

According to the fit sheet linked below, the pin hole depth needs to be 1.5in from the face of the receiver.
Fit sheet

Anyone use any of the Thule bike racks that require 1.5in on the Ascent or know what the actual depth is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent Touring 2019
157 Posts
I have Thule swing 4 on factory installed hitch. No issue at all. Good clearance. I'll post picture.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have no idea how relieved I am to see your post. I was semi-freaking out about it working with the car with a beach trip coming up. You have made me feel SO much better. Getting the hitch installed tomorrow ($610 for parts and labor for those curious) and getting the rack after that.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey everyone,
Been awhile since I've been on the forums, but had a question. I'm getting the hitch installed this week and I'm wanting to get a bike rack.

I'm looking at the Thule Apex XT Swing 4.

According to the fit sheet linked below, the pin hole depth needs to be 1.5in from the face of the receiver.
Fit sheet

Anyone use any of the Thule bike racks that require 1.5in on the Ascent or know what the actual depth is?

Thanks!
Because it uses a "tool-less" mounting into the hitch receiver, the mechanism needs that 1.5" of receiver square surface to grip against.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yeah. The Ascent's hitch has only 1.25" between the pin and the face of the receiver. IDK why Thule specifies a minimium of 1.5", but it's probably best not to ignore it. If it fits and kinda works that doesn't mean its strength and security isn't somehow compromised.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,123 Posts
Yeah. The Ascent's hitch has only 1.25" between the pin and the face of the receiver. IDK why Thule specifies a minimium of 1.5", but it's probably best not to ignore it. If it fits and kinda works that doesn't mean its strength and security isn't somehow compromised.
I wish that the Ascent factory receiver " received more of the Curt 4" drop ball mount. Would be nice to have the ball closer to the car like the OEM 6"drop mount.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,123 Posts
Have a new hole drilled in the ball mount?
Thought about that. My old 2" drop Reese mount came with 2 holes. On my old car I could use the second hole since there was plenty of clearance to slide the mount inward. Have to check how much clearance there is to insert the mount further into the receiver in the Ascent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am about in same situation and try to find if other hitch options also have only 1.25" between the pin and the face of the receiver. If someone with a Curt/DrawTite/Echohitch could give this information. I searched a few hours here and emailed them without answers...
Also, what is distance from pin and back of the hitch? Or deeper you can go?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in the same boat. It does look like the Yakima FullTilt does not have this requirement, but would love if anyone could verify.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts