Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a good deal (20% off for AAA members through March) on a Napa Legend Premium group 24F battery.

The battery tray didn't fit it, but the tie down and cables fit just fine.

I already feel increased peace of mind :nerd:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can you post a pic of the 24F battery mounted? I will put in a Northstar 24F (better specs than anything else for this group size, even Odyssey) whenever the OEM dies.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can you post a pic of the 24F battery mounted? I will put in a Northstar 24F (better specs than anything else for this group size, even Odyssey) whenever the OEM dies.
Go off of the actual physical sizing of the Northstar battery and compare to the comparable Odyssey (like the 34-PC1500) the Odyssey specs are better, and that’s even with the Odyssey being smaller in size to the 24F that was mentioned.

With that being said, both are great batteries and are complete overkill. There are cheaper AGM alternatives that will do the job.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let’s not make this a battery debate thread.

We all agree the stock battery sucks.

Just wanted to give a heads up on a good deal on a highly rated battery.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's nothing about a debate. It's just a way for us to pass around information so each other can benefit. Any forum will be boring and lacking of useful info if everyone is too shy to post anything worrying about getting into a debate. As long as we keep from insulting each other, I don't see anything wrong.

Anyway, I'm aware that Odyssey doesn't make a group 24 size so the 34 is the shorter alternative (with the same footprint). Odyssey 34 - 135min RC, Northstar 24 - 160min RC. The CCAs are almost the same at 850 (Od) vs 840 (NS) but Reserve Capacity is big difference due to the Northstar being taller. Not only that, the Northstar 24F is also $30 CAD cheaper than the Od 34 from the same seller I'm looking at.

Here are the links to their specs:

https://www.odysseybattery.com/Batteries/Model_34PC1500T
https://www.northstarbattery.com/product/nsb-agm24f

If Odyssey ever makes the 24, I'm sure they'll match or even beat the NorthStar in specs though.

Gene, how much, if any, did you have to stretch the negative cable to reach the neg. terminal (which should be a little further out than the stock 35)?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the pics. That's good to know. Now everyone with the weak battery or do dog training in the other threads can upgrade away with a 24F with as much Reserve Capacity as they want. It's never overkill when you leave the liftgate open for hours on end then one -35C morning you can't start the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem. If it wasn’t for this forum I wouldn’t have known the stock battery is a dud.

Glad to support the community. ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So to get the battery to fit the only modification you had to make was to remove the plastic tray? So the battery is just sitting on the bare metal now?

·
Administrator
11,404 Posts
ODX-AGM34 (34-PC1500T) ODYSSEY Extreme Series Battery | ODYSSEY® Battery
NSB-AGM24F

If Odyssey ever makes the 24, I'm sure they'll match or even beat the NorthStar in specs though.
They won't. Odyssey and Northstar are "divisions" of Enersys. That Northstar (NSB-AGM24F) is their top of the line industrial battery. Odyssey will be (or has) taken on the lower spec Northstar 24F battery as their 24F, which was a more consumer oriented than the Northstar Pro series battery. A friend of mine is running the lower spec Northstar 24F that's now sold as an Odyssey 24F. There's a decent bit of cooperation between the two divisions, btw.

The now-Odyssey-branded 24F is this:

The specs are VERY impressive, but, the Northstar still is, and will probably remain, the most energy dense 24F on the market.

I utterly love the Northstar battery, btw.
NSB-AGM24F

1 - 13 of 13 Posts