Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bay area California - Wife got a 2020 Limited - but with 8/80k Gold Plus for $2500. I admit we didn't do a lot of research on this, so after finding this forum, it seems we may have been hosed. What options do I have now? I understand I can get a full refund (this part is financed so it will be taken off the back of the loan). But before I cancel can I lineup another quote from a different dealer to get a better deal and buy this? Will there be any problems with cancelling and buying again?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Bay area California - Wife got a 2020 Limited - but with 8/80k Gold Plus for $2500. I admit we didn't do a lot of research on this, so after finding this forum, it seems we may have been hosed. What options do I have now? I understand I can get a full refund (this part is financed so it will be taken off the back of the loan). But before I cancel can I lineup another quote from a different dealer to get a better deal and buy this? Will there be any problems with cancelling and buying again?
What is your current deductible for that price? You certainly can cancel and you probably can renegotiate a new deal with any dealer in the region. I suggest you request bids from multiple dealers. If you give them your vin they will know your current position and likely take advantage of the situation. Remember the term of the eight years overlaps the first three years, although the coverage is a bit more robust, so you are buying eight years of more items covered, but three years of coverage overlap (mileage may be factored instead of years).

I have a 2019 with almost 30000 miles and next week I will put my bid request out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your current deductible for that price? You certainly can cancel and you probably can renegotiate a new deal with any dealer in the region. I suggest you request bids from multiple dealers. If you give them your vin they will know your current position and likely take advantage of the situation. Remember the term of the eight years overlaps the first three years, although the coverage is a bit more robust, so you are buying eight years of more items covered, but three years of coverage overlap (mileage may be factored instead of years).

I have a 2019 with almost 30000 miles and next week I will put my bid request out.
its $100 deductible. If I cancel first, would it be better then for bidding since it won’t be on the vin any longer?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
its $100 deductible. If I cancel first, would it be better then for bidding since it won’t be on the vin any longer?
To be honest, I would be taking an educated guess on that. I think they use the vin to get an upper hand just like they try and get as much information from a new buyer to assess their financial position and how desperate they are for a particular vehicle. I typically give them virtually no information. In this situation, if you know the product you want (term, deductible), then it really doesn't matter what the Subaru vehicle is that it applies to. The dealer is not the underwriter and since the term starts from the ownership date there is no increase in risk exposure to Subaru.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
Since you have to buy the extended service plan from a dealer in California because of state law, you may or may not be able to do better.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you have to buy the extended service plan from a dealer in California because of state law, you may or may not be able to do better.
yeah I noticed I can’t take advantage of some of the names mentioned in some of the other threads now that the local area applies. I assume I shop around by contacting the finance departments and asking for quotes?

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
yeah I noticed I can’t take advantage of some of the names mentioned in some of the other threads now that the local area applies. I assume I shop around by contacting the finance departments and asking for quotes?
You couldn't before that change, either. Some states have different regulations around extended service contracts and insurance and California is one of them.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You couldn't before that change, either. Some states have different regulations around extended service contracts and insurance and California is one of them.
Ah i see. Good to know. Do you think it’s possible to cancel and buy a new one if better price is found in the state?

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
AFAIK, you can cancel and re-up. But if you rolled the cost in to your financing...not a clean situation.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My Subaru dealer here in CT is offering extended service contracts from a company called First Extended Service Corp., not Subaru. Should I be concerned? Should I go elsewhere to anotherg Subaru dealer to get the Subaru product? What is the benefit? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
My Subaru dealer here in CT is offering extended service contracts from a company called First Extended Service Corp., not Subaru. Should I be concerned? Should I go elsewhere to anotherg Subaru dealer to get the Subaru product? What is the benefit? Thanks.
Only get a manufacturer service contract. Too many reasons to get into for a post.

Ever

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
What @packout said. Only get a true Subaru plan. Go somewhere else, and shoot Subaru of America a message letting them know.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Not only should you be concerned...you should run away from a third party extended service contract as fast as you can. The manufacturer's extended service plan is the only one backed by the manufacturer and since it's tied to your VIN, it makes things easy no matter what dealer you get needed service from since they have immediate access to it. It's generally more comprehensive, too...plans like the Subaru Gold offering are pretty much "exclusionary" meaning they cover everything other than specific exceptions.

Some dealers offer third party plans because they have a much larger profit margin in them.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Third party service contracts goal is to delay or outright refuse service working hard to find a way to reject your claim. Subaru is there to make it right.

from consumer review:

M of San Diego, CA
Verified Reviewer

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I would give them 0 stars if possible. First Extended is the name of the company the service advisor at the Chrysler dealership and I have been dealing with today. I purchased a First Extended warranty at the time of the purchase of my vehicle. First Extended is supposed to cover the motor mounts on my vehicle, but are refusing to do so. Their excuse is that it is part of the powertrain. According to Chrysler the motor mounts are not part of the powertrain. The woman I spoke to in claims first answered the phone calling me Jessica (not my name) and then started laughing. When I explained to her that the service manager had said that he was told by the company that they would not cover motor mounts, she said that they should be covered, and she didn't see where it would be different in the contract. Then after talking to her supervisor, she told me that they were not covered because they are under the powertrain warranty with Chrysler.

I explained that the service manager stated that motor mounts are not part of the powertrain (which she originally agreed with). She began talking over me, and when I asked her not to talk over me, she began to yell at me. Then she hung up on me. This company has many complaints against it. When I checked on them at ConsumerAffairs.com I found that many people have experienced similar, if not worse problems with this company. I plan to call an attorney and a local consumer reporter so that no one else has to go through this. The service advisor is going to send a detailed report to them to explain how the motor mounts are not part of the powertrain. I will see what happens.
I have a phone call to the original car dealership where I purchased the vehicle to see if he can get anywhere with them and to hopefully stop selling their warranty. I actually paid $2,800 dollars to be treated in this manner! I looked up how much an extended warranty should cost and I paid way too much! Stay far away from this company! I am going to tell everyone I know who is thinking about buying a vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.