Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
Please remember that the new pads and new (or resurfaced) rotors require a thousand mile break-in consisting of gentle braking, to properly bed our very "sticky" pads. Any time the rotors are resurfaced or replaced, that break-in should be followed. And personally, any time pads are changed, I'd like doing at least 500 miles.

These pads cannot be properly bedded to the rotors by a bunch of quick stops in a parking lot.

The difference from doing it per the manual were night and day on mine. At 91,866 miles, I am on set #3, and learned this the hard way, because the first set was not bedded properly by me, and when I had the rotors turned on them at 20k miles (give or take), I again didn't bed them properly. Pads #2 (rotors turned again) were bedded properly and were some of the smoothest brakes I've ever used. Those were Version B (1st revision).
Interestingly, Subaru never told me about bedding them in after each visit. I should have known myself but never thought of it. 1000 is A LOT of bedding in. How do you go 1000 miles never hitting them hard?

Reactions: xydadx3

Registered
21 Ascent Limited in Crimson Pearl Red.
I'll just add my 2 cents here about Ascent brakes.

At 27,000 miles the rotors on my 2021 Ascent Limited need turning or maybe replacing.

I rarely drive in stop and go traffic and most of my miles are in rural areas on rural county roads and rural highways. I accelerate slowly and coast a lot and don't use the brakes very hard at all.

A little back story on how I drive. A few years ago I bought a 2018 Forester limited with 12,000 miles on it. I took it up to 66,000 miles before I traded it in towards the Ascent. It still had the factory brake pads on it and they weren't ready to be changed according to the dealer service dept. There wasn't any rotor shimmy or shake at all. I also had the factory Yokohama's on there and they were about due to be changed.

A year ago this week I bought a 21 limited with 7 miles on it. It now has 27,000 miles and I've taken good care of it. I continue to drive primarily the rural roads without any extra weight in the car. I accelerate slowly, coast to slow down when appropriate and don't use the brakes hard at all.

I'm writing this is because I had to hit the brakes hard twice in the last couple of weeks and there is definitely a shudder that surprised me. I tried it a few more times and in my opinion the rotors need to be turned or possibly replaced at ~27,000 miles.

I understand that the Ascent is a much heavier vehicle than the Forester. I've owned a Yukon Denali and a Ford Expedition and drove them 80 to 100k miles each and didn't have the rotor wear problem like I'm having with the Ascent.

I'm going to take it to the dealer for the next service and ask them to take a look at the rotors. After the warranty expires I'll probably look for some better rotors.

I also keep an eye on my tires. Rotate them every ~5,000 to 6,000 miles. I checked the tread depth across the tires about 9,000 miles ago and they were wearing in the center much more than the rest of the tire. I lowered the pressure from 36 down to 32 and the tires are more even now. They're all about 4 mm or 5 mm across the tread.

I'll probably swap them out before winter here in Minny or at my 36,000 mile oil change whichever makes the most sense.

I already bought 4 tires at ~20,000 Because I believe I got a good deal on them and my local tire shop said that tire prices were probably going up. I got a set 4 of Hankook Dynapro HP2 tires for ~$849 total including installation, etc. I'll report back about the tire when I get some miles on them.

You mileage will vary,

Mike

Administrator
Hi Mike, it's the first thousand miles that matter. After that, all's fair game. I think city driving, and long hills with brake riding hurt. Honestly, (as I've said elsewhere in the forums) I got lucky and had mine changed 22 miles before a 1,400 mile (each way) road trip from NY to Florida. They're tough to break in, and I wish they weren't. :(

Administrator
Is there a recommended breaking in procedure for new rotors or new pads or recondition rotors?
1,000 miles of gentle braking, minimize long braking (of course, as safely possible for both).

Super Moderator
1000 is A LOT of bedding in. How do you go 1000 miles never hitting them hard?
That is the key question imho.
Brakes aren鈥檛 always just another part of the vehicle, they鈥檙e safety equipment. EyeSight can slam on the brakes to prevent a collision. Why should this cause the brakes to shudder indefinitely afterward? Hard braking isn鈥檛 something that can just be avoided for an entire 1000mi. Therefore I no longer have oem brakes on my Ascent; I鈥檇 like to use my brakes without having to worry about them.
To the OP, maybe installing a big brake kit will also have the added benefit of not causing brake shuddering, as well as looking cool.

Administrator
Interestingly, Subaru never told me about bedding them in after each visit. I should have known myself but never thought of it. 1000 is A LOT of bedding in. How do you go 1000 miles never hitting them hard?
You don't necessarily have to. It's not about avoiding it - it's about doing hard braking only when necessary. It's a matter of it not being your consistent braking method. For instance, ACC brakes a lot nicer on the highways than I do sometimes. And, 1,000 miles is a pretty standard power train break in.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts