Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to find a big brake kit or confirm existing subaru parts that would work on the Ascent to create a better front brake system. Its obvious that the brake system on the Ascent is lacking and problematic, as detailed by many concerns on the forum here. I see Brucey did the reverse and took Ascent hardware and upgraded his Outback, so if outback parts can accept the ascent calliper are there any Outback brake kits that can work on the Ascent. What I would really like is to put a 4 or even 6-pot calliper and perhaps a larger rotor on the front, though the stock rotor is a good size just needs to be drilled/slotted.
I have contacted a brakes manufacturer and they are looking into the fitment of their Outback BBK. however, they recommended I take measurements of the Ascent and they can create a kit for it. They sent a measurement sheet and its loaded with a various distances and clearances that need to be photographed and measured.
I will attach the measurement files here and if anyone is willing to help fill it out then I can send it to the gentlemen that I've been in contact with and maybe we can finally get a proper braking system.

Any and all help with this is welcomed on this matter.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,632 Posts
The Ascent has about the largest and most effective front brakes in its class and, if I recall clearly, the second shortest stopping distance and the difference from number one is "really short distance". AFAIK, there are no current aftermarket "bigger" brake systems for the Ascent, but I could be wrong about that.

The majority of the problems have revolved around the pad compound on the original pads which has been updated three times. That and many folks not following the 1000 mile break in period as noted in the manual.

·
Super Moderator
3,465 Posts
@[email protected] What is your goal for a big brake kit: better stopping distance or better heat dissipation?

The OEM brakes will stop the Ascent about as quickly as its going to get. Its simply a lot of weight to stop. The oem brakes can easily kick in the ABS which means tire traction becomes the limiting factor for stopping.

There are aftermarket options if you want drilled/slotted rotors of the same size. I have drilled rotors but I don't have any stopping distance or heating data.

One potential benefit to bigger brakes may be spreading the friction over a greater area therefore less heating in any specific area. But whether that's a measurable benefit or if it has any effect on braking will be difficult to tell.

I have seen someone on the modded ascent facebook page upgrading to STI brake calipers. Your wheels would have to fit around a bigger caliper to make that work.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
540 Posts
From just reading this and other forums, the issue with brakes seems to be durability rather than performance. Lots of posts about warped rotors, squealing brakes, rotors needing replacement in less than 20K miles, etc. I have no issues so far, (only 4700 miles on my 2022 Onyx) but it seems like Subaru hasn't found the right combination of rotor and pad materials. Hopefully, my car (Oct 2021 build) has upgraded components.

I'm pretty easy on brakes and usually get anywhere up to 60K miles on the originals. Some folks are just harder on brakes due to their driving style.
I cringe when riding with my GF in her car...race to the stoplight and hit the binders hard. o_O

·
Registered
540 Posts
Very surprising that a manufacturer would trust user-provided data to prototype a custom product. Seems like actual CAD files or at least drawings would be a lot more accurate.
Seems like it would be more logical for the aftermarket folks to just go to a Subaru dealer and buy a rotor and loaded caliper.

Reactions: felix_te

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
934 Posts
Seems like it would be more logical for the aftermarket folks to just go to a Subaru dealer and buy a rotor and loaded caliper.
Usually if they are really interested they will ask an owner to help in the development/test fitting.

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
I have seen someone on the modded ascent facebook page upgrading to STI brake calipers. Your wheels would have to fit around a bigger caliper to make that work.
Don't have a clue why they did it. Among other things, they should have changed the rotors as well, but, since the Ascent rotors are 13.13" and the STI's top of the line rotors at 13.39" - or 333.4mm vs 340mm, there's not much to gain, because it's the same ABS system.

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
Usually if they are really interested they will ask an owner to help in the development/test fitting.
I keep seeing two trains of thoughts from these aftermarket manufacturers...
  1. Base their development and test fitting off owner measurements
  2. Buy the OEM equivalent to dev off that

·
Registered
934 Posts
I keep seeing two trains of thoughts from these aftermarket manufacturers...
  1. Base their development and test fitting off owner measurements
  2. Buy the OEM equivalent to dev off that
In the 5th gen legacy group a few manufacturers/shops asked a local 5th gen Gt owner to bring their vehicle in for measurements and test-fitting. Easier and cheaper all around and they get a test mule when it's all said and done.

I dont see much to gain from STI calipers/rotors stickier tires are going to provide the biggest bang for buck upgrade in braking.

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
In the 5th gen legacy group a few manufacturers/shops asked a local 5th gen Gt owner to bring their vehicle in for measurements and test-fitting. Easier and cheaper all around and they get a test mule when it's all said and done.
That's definitely fine. Not sure about trusting owners doing the measurements though. It's not that there aren't a bunch who are capable - it's not being able to know which those are.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
744 Posts
I have a 2021 (9/21 build date) and the latest in braking revisions is still problematic for me. I can be heavy on the brakes at times, but it's not primary driving style. The issue that I have is noisy braking with pulsing through the pedal. I've had rotors cut (didn't solve the issue) and replaced (solved for ~2500 miles). At a little over 7k miles I need to bring it in for the second round of "please fix this".

If it comes back again a 3rd time I plan to ask SOA to reimburse me for aftermarket parts. I doubt they will, but it won't hurt to make my case and see what happens.

Anyway, I wouldn't call the braking power lacking, but I agree it's problematic.

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
I have a 2021 (9/21 build date) and the latest in braking revisions is still problematic for me. I can be heavy on the brakes at times, but it's not primary driving style. The issue that I have is noisy braking with pulsing through the pedal. I've had rotors cut (didn't solve the issue) and replaced (solved for ~2500 miles). At a little over 7k miles I need to bring it in for the second round of "please fix this".

If it comes back again a 3rd time I plan to ask SOA to reimburse me for aftermarket parts. I doubt they will, but it won't hurt to make my case and see what happens.

Anyway, I wouldn't call the braking power lacking, but I agree it's problematic.
Pads need to be replaced when the rotors are cut, following easy braking for 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
540 Posts

Disturbing to hear this. Your 9/21 build Ascent is registered as a 2021? My 2022 Onyx is 10/21 build, 4775 miles and no issues to date with the brakes (or anything else). I am pretty easy on brakes, my 2014 Ram/Cummins 2500 still had the original brakes with plreny of meat left when I sold it @ 54K miles. I am also very attuned to every noise and feel of the car so if anything alerts me I'll be at the dealer ASAP.

Hopfully, "the third time is the charm" for you, please keep us posted. (y)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
Is there a TSB reference I can point to? They did not replace pads.
Absolutely. My friends and I have gotten it clarified on what owners experience, as well as extending it to cover the 2021.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Absolutely. My friends and I have gotten it clarified on what owners experience, as well as extending it to cover the 2021.

Thanks! I've bookmarked the TSB for future use "just in case".

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
934 Posts
Our 2019 brakes groan under hard braking, but I can't say that's abnormal. Otherwise they are quiet and smooth, but next oil change I am going to check the pads to be sure. We are at 47k miles now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2019 is on it's 4th set of pads, twice re-surfaced rotors and twice replaced rotors....sigh. Last action replaced the pads...again. Waiting for the next squeal/pulsation...

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
My 2019 is on it's 4th set of pads, twice re-surfaced rotors and twice replaced rotors....sigh. Last action replaced the pads...again. Waiting for the next squeal/pulsation...
Please remember that the new pads and new (or resurfaced) rotors require a thousand mile break-in consisting of gentle braking, to properly bed our very "sticky" pads. Any time the rotors are resurfaced or replaced, that break-in should be followed. And personally, any time pads are changed, I'd like doing at least 500 miles.

These pads cannot be properly bedded to the rotors by a bunch of quick stops in a parking lot.

The difference from doing it per the manual were night and day on mine. At 91,866 miles, I am on set #3, and learned this the hard way, because the first set was not bedded properly by me, and when I had the rotors turned on them at 20k miles (give or take), I again didn't bed them properly. Pads #2 (rotors turned again) were bedded properly and were some of the smoothest brakes I've ever used. Those were Version B (1st revision).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts