Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at the first three pages on here and see nothing about my Ascent's problem, so here goes.
First off, the car rides fine; nice smooth ride as advertised. Most of the time on streets or roads with repaired pot holes or repaired seams on the road surface there is nothing unusual. BUT every once in while, when it hits a certain kind of bump( and don't ask me what that is), it sounds like some one is hitting the unibody with 16 oz hammer. The mystery of the "kind" of bump is really just that, a mystery. I can drive over a multiple track railroad crossing and have nothing out of the ordinary. Drive down a residential street and hit a small repair in the road and ...BANG!
Took it back to the dealer after three days and they have had it ever since. I took a service tech for a ride and he thought he knew what the problem was. They supposedly did the fix the tech thought it needed, but did not work. They have talked to factory engineers and have tried a couple other fixes to no avail.
I spoke to the sales manager this morning, letting him know I was getting quite impatient. He told me they supposedly had parts coming in Tuesday to try another fix.
He told me that if that fixed it, they would make my first payment for me. If it doesn't work ,he said he would get me into a new Ascent. What was funny about the last statement was that he then stated he didn't have an Ascent on the lot that was equipped like mine...... meaning he has looked into swapping it out.
Anyway, that's my problem. After owning a Forester for two problem free years, I'm quite disappointed with the Ascent so far.

·
Registered
543 Posts
IDK if this is directly related to your problem, but others have complained about harshness over sharp-edged bumps. I experience this too. The ride is great over most road roughness and undulations, but a pot hole with a sharp edge, even a fairly shallow one where it's only the 1~1.5" veneer that's missing, is harsh and loud, significantly more so that in our other vehicles. In my case, it doesn't seem to me that there's something wrong with the vehicle but rather it's just an unfortunate characteristic of the design. I have the stock 18" wheels and tires running 35 psi.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have found that the car handles most bumps and road imperfections very well, much better than my beloved gls450, but the suspension does sometimes make some very troubling sounds while doing it!!
That being said, if the technician/dealer acknowledge there's some issue, then keep on them.
Just curious could you tell us what the technician / engineers thought the necessary fixes were?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A gal from service called last eve to tell me that the Ascent was fixed. They are putting the hitch on today and we are picking it up to tomorrow. Sales manager called this morning to tell me he'll have the check cut for my first payment when we get there. Will be interesting to see what all was done.

·
Registered
447 Posts
A gal from service called last eve to tell me that the Ascent was fixed. They are putting the hitch on today and we are picking it up to tomorrow. Sales manager called this morning to tell me he'll have the check cut for my first payment when we get there. Will be interesting to see what all was done.
What was the fix if you don’t mind sharing?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2019 Touring with the the 20" wheels. I also have experienced the banging sound from mostly the front suspension. This has been going on since I picked up the car from the dealership. I thought maybe it is from the 20" wheels as unsprung weight but someone says they have the 18" wheels and has the same issue. I get a very loud banging sound when hitting certain types of pot holes and we have many on Long Island. I am curious if there is a fix for this. Hopefully the OP will let us know. Thanks for listening.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
I have a 2019 Touring with the the 20" wheels. I also have experienced the banging sound from mostly the front suspension. This has been going on since I picked up the car from the dealership. I thought maybe it is from the 20" wheels as unsprung weight but someone says they have the 18" wheels and has the same issue. I get a very loud banging sound when hitting certain types of pot holes and we have many on Long Island. I am curious if there is a fix for this. Hopefully the OP will let us know. Thanks for listening.
Oooh, I'm in Islip West.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the car back and it rides much quieter now. Looks like they replaced the front coil springs, still had some noise and replaced right strut, did 4 wheel alignment. Paperwork says they test drove it and noise is gone. I drove it home and purposely drove it on a street that had the bumps that made it bang before and no clunking or banging at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts