Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using this great phone mount for years on several cars. Sinjimoru iPhone Car Charging Mount. The advantage here is that the phone is connected by cable to Apple CarPlay when it's in the cradle.
Well, the Ascent Touring has so many displays and buttons that there's no way to use this mount. Has anyone come up with something that will sturdily hold the phone just below eye level without obscuring the car informatics, EyeSight or windshield?
Thanks!!
BruceInMass

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That one doesn’t look too sturdy. Nothing on the bottom to prevent the phone from slipping out on a bumpy road. The one I mentioned connects the lightning cable to the phone when docked. No need for a separate operation to connect the cable. (Yes, I’m that lazy!)

·
Registered
42 Posts
That one doesn’t look too sturdy. Nothing on the bottom to prevent the phone from slipping out on a bumpy road. The one I mentioned connects the lightning cable to the phone when docked. No need for a separate operation to connect the cable. (Yes, I’m that lazy!)
You are correct in that there's no bottom, but the holder is spring-loaded and requires a fair amount of force to remove the phone. Obviously there are tons of mounts out there, so I all I can tell you is that I've used this for almost four (4) years without any issue, in multiple vehicles (Legacy, Outback, Ascent). My current phone is a Xs Max :)

Good luck in whatever you choose!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,440 Posts
There is more than one really good thread on this subject from the last few years.

I use a ProClip vehicle mount with an Anker phone mount in our vehicles. I like the Proclip iPhone device mount, but it's model specific and different drivers in the family have different iPhone versions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been using this great phone mount for years on several cars. Sinjimoru iPhone Car Charging Mount. The advantage here is that the phone is connected by cable to Apple CarPlay when it's in the cradle.
Well, the Ascent Touring has so many displays and buttons that there's no way to use this mount. Has anyone come up with something that will sturdily hold the phone just below eye level without obscuring the car informatics, EyeSight or windshield?
Thanks!!
BruceInMass
Why does it need to be mounted at all? Once my iPhone is plugged in, I just stuff it in the pocket under the head unit and leave it there while I drive. CarPlay allows all the access I need. Do you need to use some apps that don't show up in CarPlay?

·
Super Moderator
3,440 Posts
Why does it need to be mounted at all? Once my iPhone is plugged in, I just stuff it in the pocket
The hard and fast answer is "personal preference". For me, I still prefer to have the phone accessible and fixed so it will not fly around the cabin should something happen. Larger phones are not always well contained in the console pocket. Oh, and there's other stuff there, too. So the mount serves the intended need. "for me". Everyone is different, however, so it's good that there are mount systems available for those who prefer them.

There are some things that are not served well by CarPlay that some folks use for sure.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use an Otterbox with a built-in Pop-Socket. So I mounted a Pop-Socket receiver just below the bottom row of buttons. Works awesome. Also a convenience place to hang glasses and sunglasses.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Vertical vents are a REAL challenge
Tried a lot this works for me
Look at my posts and pics from this thread
I think I give the Amazon link
Position as I did works very well and doesn’t shift side to side

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not all functions work with wireless carplay. Apple, Google or Waze Nav certainly don't.
To be clear, Wireless Carplay is the specific feature of using Apple Carplay, but wirelessly. There are only a handful of manufacturers that do this right now, and I'm pretty sure (I'd bet a ham sandwich) Subaru is not one of them. We have a '21 Ascent, and it definitely does not have Wireless Apple Carplay, only wired.

Yes, you can connect your phone via bluetooth to the head unit, but that's very different than Apple Carplay.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This thread explains how wireless CarPlay works via an adapter in the ascent.

I’ve been mounting like below for most of 10 years. Lots of good examples in this thread.

·
Super Moderator
3,440 Posts
Since when does the Ascent have Wireless Carplay? (The tone of my reply sounds snarky, but it's not, I promise! I just couldn't figure out how to word it better) :)
Ascent does not have wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto natively. Some folks are using a dongle that provides the connectivity for wireless CP use. The dongle is essentially a specialized "hot spot" that provides the connectivity that wireless version of CP.

·
Registered
20 Posts
$100 adapter
Exactly. I just wanted to be clear, the Ascent does not support wireless Carplay. I'm just trying to make this clear because users regularly ask how to do it, their salesman told them it would, they read they could do it, etc...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I gave up and use a WeatherTech CupFone. Not eye level but hand level and I get by with an 8 inch USB cable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts