Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up our CWP Touring back in July and currently have less than 3,000 miles on it! So, this thing is still pretty new. However...

Awhile back, we took a road trip out of town for friend's wedding. The next morning, as I was loading up for the trip home, I noticed a "fun" surprise on our lift gate.

Someone left a serious scratch -- not sure if this was an accident or just some jerk, but it cut the car (and my heart) deep. There are a few tiny spots where it goes right down to the metal and they even nicked the chrome "AWD" badge!

We talked to the hotel and they don't have any camera footage.

I've never tried to repair something like this before and am wondering about the best way to approach this.

It looks like these guys sell touch up paint, but anything I should consider before digging into this?

2019 Subaru Ascent Colors of Touch Up Paint

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Your scratch looks much deeper than the carwash brush scratches I just had buffed out. I feel your pain.
Touch up paint won’t look as good as it was, but will protect the metal from rusting if it’s exposed. If any of the scratch is just in the clear coat it should buff out nicely. Best of luck getting it fixed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check your insurance company too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Reputable body shop. It is too new for you to let this go. Fix it right now, and it will be good for the life of the car. Let it go and it will be a constant reminder of how you failed your Subie. A stich in time....

·
Registered
225 Posts
We picked up our CWP Touring back in July and currently have less than 3,000 miles on it! So, this thing is still pretty new. However...

Awhile back, we took a road trip out of town for friend's wedding. The next morning, as I was loading up for the trip home, I noticed a "fun" surprise on our lift gate.

Someone left a serious scratch -- not sure if this was an accident or just some jerk, but it cut the car (and my heart) deep. There are a few tiny spots where it goes right down to the metal and they even nicked the chrome "AWD" badge!

We talked to the hotel and they don't have any camera footage.

I've never tried to repair something like this before and am wondering about the best way to approach this.

It looks like these guys sell touch up paint, but anything I should consider before digging into this?

2019 Subaru Ascent Colors of Touch Up Paint
Get a body shop to do it for you. I had a spot done on my tailgate and it cost me around $550. You would need to layer the paint and then clear it. Plus your looks like a tri-coat color which is more challenging because of the pearl.

The location of you scratch works out because they can removed the chrome trim in the center of the tailgate repair the paint, and then when they clear, they break the line under that trim piece. This way they don't touch any other part of the car. They will need to remove/replace the badges, unless you don't need them then "win win" in my book.

The body shop I used did a fantastic job a spent half the time spraying test panels to match the paint so they wouldn't need to do any blending. It looks fantastic.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the above. Skip the body shop!! Go to either an auto parts store or Walmart, get some rubbing compound/polish. *Fine*, not heavy duty, and make sure it says "safe for clearcoat" (usually comes in a tube not a tin) and a few round cloth covered buff pads (that are for hand use) and grab some rags from the house. I can't remember which polishing compound I've like the best, but Scratch-X, should work. If you go to an auto parts store ask them which they like the best. Use a little "elbow grease" and I think you can have a good result at least on what you have shown. The above will cost $10-$15 bucks. If you don't have the time or inclination, just go to a detail shop (which can be found on Yelp) or many full service car wash places do detail work as well. They have the compound and circular buffer, it may take them 5 minutes or so tops. Maybe they'll charge you max, 50 bucks. In California, maybe a bit more. From what I can see, this doesn't look that bad. Good luck and let us know how it turns out :)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
You can try to buff it out but I believe it's too deep. You should be able to improve it, but you probably won't be able to eliminate it.

My Ascent was keyed on the rear tailgate the second time I drove it, at a Costco parking lot. I called the insurance company the same day. It was repaired at a body shop and the scratch, which was worse than yours, is now entirely gone like it was never there. It cost me $100 for the comprehensive deductible. That was well worth not having to look at it for the next 10 years. The insurance company was great about it, even sympathetic. They assured me there would be no increase in the rate because it was not my fault.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a similar experience, although mine was caused by a friend of my daughter's losing her balance on a bike and scratching the driver's door down to base metal. I went to a body shop and had it repaired, about $550. If your scratch is through the paint, I wouldn't try to fix it yourself. Sure, you'll save money in the short run, but if you're planning on keeping the Ascent for years you run the risk of this becoming much worse down the road.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the above. Skip the body shop!! Go to either an auto parts store or Walmart, get some rubbing compound/polish. *Fine*, not heavy duty, and make sure it says "safe for clearcoat" (usually comes in a tube not a tin) and a few round cloth covered buff pads (that are for hand use) and grab some rags from the house. I can't remember which polishing compound I've like the best, but Scratch-X, should work. If you go to an auto parts store ask them which they like the best. Use a little "elbow grease" and I think you can have a good result at least on what you have shown. The above will cost $10-$15 bucks. If you don't have the time or inclination, just go to a detail shop (which can be found on Yelp) or many full service car wash places do detail work as well. They have the compound and circular buffer, it may take them 5 minutes or so tops. Maybe they'll charge you max, 50 bucks. In California, maybe a bit more. From what I can see, this doesn't look that bad. Good luck and let us know how it turns out :)
I am one for car detailing and really dedicate the time, but I will tell you Scratch-X 2.0 won't work on that. It is a mild diminishing compound and polish in one. My Ascent had a scuff on the roof when I got it from the dealer and Scratch-X got "most" of it out. His scratch is past the clear and into the paint.

It looks like he has the Crystal white pearl. Which is a tri-coat paint. It probably went through the clear and the pearl flake coat, but not the white coat and def no primer based on the pictures.

He should try to use a compound and polish if he can, probably a machine polisher, but if he can get his nail into it then it won't go away. $550 sounds like a lot, but being that it is on the tailgate and the tailgate gets lots of road grim and salt. $550 isn't a bad insurance policy against rust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts