Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opted not to get the dealer paint protection on my new ascent. Wondering what people recommend as a good quality wax or finish?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wolfgang Concours Series WG-5500 Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Get it on Amazon for $39.99.

Absolutely the best in my opinion.

John

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
114 Posts
The latest craze is SiO2 coatings. I use HydroSilex Recharge. I reapply just before the end of summer.

My Ascent at work and home is in a covered garage, so maybe twice a year if yours is always parked outside.

Even Meguiars is getting into the game with their ceramic hybrid wax. SiO2 doesn't melt away in the summer heat like regular wax coatings.

It's good for painting protection, but it will not prevent scratches (often misunderstood).

Contamination washes off with ease, especially the nasty bird droppings. Which means less swirl marks over time.

This is how it beads, after a rain storm about 1 or 2 months after applying it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Years ago waxes caused a yellowish buildup on cars.. so they went to spray on products that were called tri-polymer coatings that were wax free. I see we are now back into wax again. I wonder if it really has wax in it and if so does it cause a buildup like in the past.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
114 Posts
Years ago waxes caused a yellowish buildup on cars.. so they went to spray on products that were called tri-polymer coatings that were wax free. I see we are now back into wax again. I wonder if it really has wax in it and if so does it cause a buildup like in the past.
SiO2 based products do not have wax. Spray on clear, buff, then rinse/wipe off well. Otherwise if you do a bad job, you get spotting that's a pain to get off.

You can watch some ppl on YouTube that don't read instructions and let the stuff dry on their cars, and blames the product.

Buffing it is how I do it, so that the product get spread around properly and adheres to the paint. It only needs a thin nano coating to work.

The video below is a guy doing a touchless application. It works, but it may not last as long and you use/waste a lot of product.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For those of us who refuse to do faceplant. Do they have any good suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts