Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on what the best off road tires are offered for our ascent. What do you guys recommend?

I don't have a set budget. However, I'm interested to hear how much life you guys are getting out of them, and if you guys care about treadwear ratings. Also, should I just stick with the OE sizing or going with a plus size on the original rims. Just to provide you guys with a little detail our Ascent is the Touring model.

Hopefully, the Ascent community can help us out ;)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Here's what I like. I would go beefier with more plies for heavy rock crawling, but I don't generally do that.

• I like the Continental TerrainContacts
    They are probably the quietest, best MPG, most commuter/street friendly of the set, but are the worst on ice and certain deep snow. Don't get me wrong, they're ok or pretty good in such situations, but, Continental's bragging aside, they are far from the best in my experience.

Treadwear: with normal rotation every 6,000 miles, they will easily outlast their ratings. I've done so.

• I really like the Yokohama Geolandar AT G015
    I only have passenger and event attendee experience with these (I've owned and extensively used the other three).
    These are a little better that the Terrain Contacts, but also, only "pretty good" for off roading due to the compromises made in tread patterns for use as a daily driver.

Treadwear: No personal experience, but my friends who run them are happy.

• I love the rarely available Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S
    This tire has been discontinued, in lieu of the AT G015. They had a beefier tread, were amazing in snow and sand and mud, but are the third noisiest and third worse for MPG. They tend to need to be overinflated a bit or they are mushier during cornering.

Treadwear: with normal rotation every 6,000 miles, they will easily outlast their ratings. I've done so.

• I love the Kumho Road Venture AT51
    BUT, these are the noisiest (rivaling some less aggressive off road tires) and hurt MPG the most of the four. On the other hand, they are truly winter rated, earn a 10/10 in snow (and I can verify that rating is earned), are pretty amazing on ice (no, they don't grip like studded snow tires or chains, but they grip better than any studless tire I've driven on - and I've driven with these on the frozen Lake Algonguin). And, they handled all my recent and past dirt, rock, mud and sand off-roading with utter ease.

Treadwear: with normal rotation every 6,000 miles, they will probably come close to their ratings, but may not meet or exceed them if you do a lot of off roading and snow driving.

So, if I were picking again, based on differing criteria, these would be how I'd order my choices:
  • For street and off road use, without a lot of mud or rock, where noise and gas mileage are important, I'd get the TerrainContacts.

• For heavier off-roading where you aren't trying to pretend the Ascent is a rock crawler, I'd get the Kumhos.

• Otherwise, for something that's a nice in between (especially since it is unlikely you will find any Geolandar A/T-S tires for the Ascent), I'd get the Geolandar AT G015 - make sure you get the AT specified version.

There are a number of other really great options others have mentioned elsewhere in the forums, that I have also considered, but, I have no first hand experience with them. So, don't forget to use the search tool for additional recommendations.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Love my Continental TerrainContacts. Oem quiet, decent off road traction, no mpg impact.

My next set will be the same in 30.5” (currently oem sizing) or Falken Wildpeaks

Have previously owned

BFG AT KO2 - Too heavy for a 99.9% street vehicle, mpg hit, loud when worn, best looking AT tire for sure!
Falken Wildpeaks - Low noise, great traction, decent price

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
loud when worn
On that note on the K02s, my Kumho Road Venture AT51s also are getting louder as they wear. They're at 40,095 miles so far and have more than adequate tread left.

So, to update, they will probably last as long as rated, but like most all terrains, they won't have aggressive tread for the last 10,000 miles (unlike my Yokohamas that easily exceeded ratings), and they've gotten pretty noisy, but that's after over 40,000 brutal miles on and off road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's what I like. I would go beefier with more plies for heavy rock crawling, but I don't generally do that.
Did you need new wheels for this tire? End use will be 90% pavement. The other 10%, however, will be a mix of logging roads, roads that are nothing but sharp loose rocks, and 6 inches of snow. It is this last 10% that will steer my entire buying decision...

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Did you need new wheels for this tire? End use will be 90% pavement. The other 10%, however, will be a mix of logging roads, roads that are nothing but sharp loose rocks, and 6 inches of snow. It is this last 10% that will steer my entire buying decision...
I got new rims because I wanted bigger sidewalls for my crazy adventures.

If they are available in 18" they should do fine with what you describe. If you want something with more sidewall protection, look into the BFG KO2s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you want something with more sidewall protection, look into the BFG KO2s.
Thanks for the fast reply. I am deciding between the BFG KO2s and the G015s, I'm a bit concerned about the snow performance and sidewalls on the G015s.

It does not appear either is available in 18s (at least, tire rack doesn't claim a match for the Ascent). Is a new rim needed? If so, is there a sticky with suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
f they are available in 18" they should do fine with what you describe. If you want something with more sidewall protection, look into the BFG KO2s
Pardon the stupid question - it looks like Firestone Destination A/T2s are available in a P245/60R18. Am I missing something, or can I just put those on the stock rims?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Pardon the stupid question - it looks like Firestone Destination A/T2s are available in a P245/60R18. Am I missing something, or can I just put those on the stock rims?
Those will fit on the stock 18" rims. You'd run them at normal psi or maybe 1-2 psi higher if they felt too mushy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For what it's worth, I ended up going with the Destination A/T2s.

With about 100 miles on it, I can say they are fine in 4 inches of loose powder, and good on packed snow as well. No problems with hard(ish) cornering on pavement.

I ordered the tires sight unseen, and they do appear to be on the lower end of A/T toughness, the sidewalls in particular do not seem to have much in the way of protection.

I was going back and forth on these the Destinations vs the KO2s, but if I was going to get the KO2s, I'd need new wheels, and if I was getting new wheels anyway then I might as well upgrade to the moonroof package, but then I might not be able to take delivery in time to take advantage of the 0.9% financing... And all of a sudden I was spending about 6 grand on a pair of tires, and that just didn't seem to make much sense.

Not that I ever do anything which makes sense...

·
Registered
17 Posts

• I like the Continental TerrainContacts
    They are probably the quietest, best MPG, most commuter/street friendly of the set, but are the worst on ice and certain deep snow. Don't get me wrong, they're ok or pretty good in such situations, but, Continental's bragging aside, they are far from the best in my experience.

• I really like the Yokohama Geolandar AT G015
    I only have passenger and event attendee experience with these (I've owned and extensively used the other three).
    These are a little better that the Terrain Contacts, but also, only "pretty good" for off roading due to the compromises made in tread patterns for use as a daily driver.

Treadwear: No personal experience, but my friends who run them are happy.

• I love the rarely available Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S
    This tire has been discontinued, in lieu of the AT G015. They had a beefier tread, were amazing in snow and sand and mud, but are the third noisiest and third worse for MPG. They tend to need to be overinflated a bit or they are mushier during cornering.

• I love the Kumho Road Venture AT51
    BUT, these are the noisiest (rivaling some less aggressive off road tires) and hurt MPG the most of the four. On the other hand, they are truly winter rated, earn a 10/10 in snow (and I can verify that rating is earned), are pretty amazing on ice (no, they don't grip like studded snow tires or chains, but they grip better than any studless tire I've driven on - and I've driven with these on the frozen Lake Algonguin). And, they handled all my recent and past dirt, rock, mud and sand off-roading with utter ease.

Treadwear: with normal rotation every 6,000 miles, they will probably come close to their ratings, but may not meet or exceed them if you do a lot of off roading and snow driving.
So, if I were picking again, based on differing criteria, these would be how I'd order my choices:
  • For street and off road use, without a lot of mud or rock, where noise and gas mileage are important, I'd get the TerrainContacts.

• For heavier off-roading where you aren't trying to pretend the Ascent is a rock crawler, I'd get the Kumhos.

• Otherwise, for something that's a nice in between (especially since it is unlikely you will find any Geolandar A/T-S tires for the Ascent), I'd get the Geolandar AT G015 - make sure you get the AT specified version.
There are a number of other really great options others have mentioned elsewhere in the forums, that I have also considered, but, I have no first hand experience with them. So, don't forget to use the search tool for additional recommendations.
So best tires for road noise but great in Show? Anyone ever here of Toyo? I have them on a BMW X3 and they are awesome in the snow. Stock tires suck on new cars period, last about 30-40k if your lucky.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
So best tires for road noise but great in Show? Anyone ever here of Toyo? I have them on a BMW X3 and they are awesome in the snow. Stock tires suck on new cars period, last about 30-40k if your lucky.
One really nice thing about the Open Country's are that the siping and snow channels go pretty deep, so, rain and snow performance doesn't become horrible in 10,000 miles (like on some other brands).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts