Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been reading and reviewing various cargo roof containers. Looking for a large size one. Where are the best deals to get one?
If you are a member at REI, open a REI mastercard, buys anything with it immediateky, they will give you $100 gift card. You can then use it to purchase your yakima or thule cargo box. on top of that
, REI store would normally price match if you find other store selling it lower than REI price. pay off the credit card by due date to avoid any interest. Also REI will give you 10% dividend points as their member.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yakima and Thule generally does a sale once a year if you want a box from those two brands. Online dealers that sell those two brands most likely will have the sales too. Places like yak attack. We did buy both our boxes at REI during the sales.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
472 Posts
Cargo boxes are not included in the current 20% off Sale at REI
Ah bummer, I was just going to mention the 20%. Lame! I didn't know about the $100 gift card, will have to give that a try once my refinance closes. Feel like I'm waiting on that for everything!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you join REI for a one-time lifetime $20 fee, you get a 10% dividend (store credit) at the end of their fiscal year of what you’ve spent that fiscal year. Can be a healthy amount, and I’m never at a loss to spend it on all the great stuff they carry.

I’ve got a Yakima skybox on my 2021 Outback that has also seen service on my 2019 and 2013 Outbacks. It’s been handy for carrying lots of “stuff” on many trips over the years. I bought it at REI in 2013, and have never regretted the investment. You might save a few bucks buying one elsewhere, but the dividend, the spare parts like locks, etc. and the customer support, including installation assistance, has me recommending REI, regardless of initial cost.

PS, I’m an Outback owner, but my daughter just bought an Ascent, and I’m on this forum just to see Ascent related items that might be useful to her. These Ascents are beautiful vehicles. Didn’t have them back in 2013, when I bought my first Outback, or I might be one of y’all.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bought it at REI in 2013, and have never regretted the investment. You might save a few bucks buying one elsewhere, but the dividend, the spare parts like locks, etc. and the customer support, including installation assistance, has me recommending REI, regardless of initial cost.
Agreed! When we purchased our box we had a 2010 Honda Pilot. We had questions on whether a Yakima box will clear our rear hatch when opened fully. REI had us pull up to the cargo area and we tested the boxes. The Yakima didn’t clear our hatch but the Thule one did.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
255 Posts
Agree with waiting for REI to have a sale. Or if you live in Portland or Seattle, you can check out ReRack which sells a lot of used rack gear. May not find exactly what you're looking for, but it will be much cheaper.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you are a member at REI, open a REI mastercard, buys anything with it immediateky, they will give you $100 gift card. You can then use it to purchase your yakima or thule cargo box. on top of that
, REI store would normally price match if you find other store selling it lower than REI price. pay off the credit card by due date to avoid any interest. Also REI will give you 10% dividend points as their member.
I would never get a credit card that has fewer than $500 in rewards in starting bonus. If you are going to get an REI card for other reasons, go ahead. Don't do it for the $100 reward alone.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
428 Posts
If you join REI for a one-time lifetime $20 fee, you get a 10% dividend (store credit) at the end of their fiscal year of what you’ve spent that fiscal year. Can be a healthy amount, and I’m never at a loss to spend it on all the great stuff they carry.

I’ve got a Yakima skybox on my 2021 Outback that has also seen service on my 2019 and 2013 Outbacks. It’s been handy for carrying lots of “stuff” on many trips over the years. I bought it at REI in 2013, and have never regretted the investment. You might save a few bucks buying one elsewhere, but the dividend, the spare parts like locks, etc. and the customer support, including installation assistance, has me recommending REI, regardless of initial cost.

PS, I’m an Outback owner, but my daughter just bought an Ascent, and I’m on this forum just to see Ascent related items that might be useful to her. These Ascents are beautiful vehicles. Didn’t have them back in 2013, when I bought my first Outback, or I might be one of y’all.
Yeah, I absolutely LOVE REI, and have since the 80's. They're awesome!

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you look into the ones you can get through Subaru, like SOA567C031, then shop around the dealers near you. They are often on sale and that was where I got the best price for our Thule cargo box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would never get a credit card that has fewer than $500 in rewards in starting bonus. If you are going to get an REI card for other reasons, go ahead. Don't do it for the $100 reward alone.
The discussion here is how to get the best deal on a cargo box for an Ascent. It is not about which credit card has the best to offer or how we should handle our finances. If you know of another way of buying a brand new large cargo box at the lowest cost, this is the forum to share it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The discussion here is how to get the best deal on a cargo box for an Ascent. It is not about which credit card has the best to offer or how we should handle our finances. If you know of another way of buying a brand new large cargo box at the lowest cost, this is the forum to share it.
It is extremely relevant to cargo box discussions. The purpose of the forum is to gather diverse perspectives.

1) I was not the one that advised getting a credit card.
2) I felt that if one was to get a REI card just for the $100, so they can buy a cargo box, they could do better. Get a card with better rewards and buy the cargo box from anywhere. That is a better deal.

We are here to debate ideas and do the best for ourselves and posterity. Not to make shallow interpretations of others perspectives.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
472 Posts
2) I felt that if one was to get a REI card just for the $100, so they can buy a cargo box, they could do better. Get a card with better rewards and buy the cargo box from anywhere. That is a better deal.
Someone advised getting a credit card for a better deal, which is the purpose of this thread. Why is going elsewhere a better deal? I can' be the only one with more than 1 card for various reasons, discounts like this being one of them. Couple this with your REI dividend, or their sales events, and this could certainly be the best deal. At the least it's a virtually free way to knock $100 off.

We are here to debate ideas and do the best for ourselves and posterity. Not to make shallow interpretations of others perspectives.
By the same logic, why would you care if someone else got a credit card that didn't meet your personal minimum rewards threshold?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts