Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
How's the battery doing? My OEM battery is dead at 10v ... Looking for a replacement. They have this in stock near me.
I never experienced a problem again after repacing my OEM battery with the EverStart. It doesn't fix the root issue with battery drainage, but with its significantly better reserve capacity, it's able to deal with it much better than the OEM battery could.

The Ascent, due to its inherent electrical loads, requires a battery with an excellent reserve capacity. There are batteries with an even better reserve capacity than the EverStart, but they cost quite a bit more.

Unless Subaru somehow reduces the Ascent's electrical load, your best bet is to use a battery with excellent capacity specifications to mitigate, if not solve, the issue.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I never experienced a problem again after repacing my OEM battery with the EverStart. It doesn't fix the root issue with battery drainage, but with its significantly better reserve capacity, it's able to deal with it much better than the OEM battery could.

The Ascent, due to its inherent electrical loads, requires a battery with an excellent reserve capacity. There are batteries with an even better reserve capacity than the EverStart, but they cost quite a bit more.

Unless Subaru somehow reduces the Ascent's electrical load, your best bet is to use a battery with excellent capacity specifications to mitigate, if not solve, the issue.
I don't have a sunroof, I might be ok. If it lasts 3 years I'll be fine with that. 😂

Edit: installed, works better than dead OEM.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Northstar makes what I think are the best batteries available for the Ascent. They make industrial/commercial grade batteries that have the highest power I've found in each size. Their PRO series is insane.

Yes, that's a massive 1,400 pulse cranking amps and a massive 740 Cold Cranking amps and a ridiculous 880 Cranking amps.
(note the website is incorrect on pulse cranking amps - refer to the battery and the specs sheet link and the table I corrected below)

I use the slightly larger and more powerful NSB-AGM24F, but that requires making a new bottom tray/plate.

Technical data
Terminal configurationSAE
Terminal illustration
Pulse cranking amps1400 A
CCA rating at -18°C (0°F)740 A
CA/MCA rating at 0°C (32°F)880 A
Reserve capacity115 min
Capacity - 20 hour rate (1.75 vpc)60 Ah
Internal resistance3.8 mΩ @ 25°C (77°F)
Short circuit current3100 A
Warranty4 years full
Quantity per layer25
Quantity per pallet50
Dimensions
Height8.54 in
Width6.76 in
Length9.45 in
Weight49 lbs

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,875 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
I looked for the EverStart 35N and it's not available at any Walmart in our area. My Odyssey PC1400T died after 3 years. So rather than spend a ton of money this time (Subaru paid for the Odyssey), I decided to just go to Costco and get one for $110. If it last 3 years I'll be really happy for that price.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I looked for the EverStart 35N and it's not available at any Walmart in our area. My Odyssey PC1400T died after 3 years. So rather than spend a ton of money this time (Subaru paid for the Odyssey), I decided to just go to Costco and get one for $110. If it last 3 years I'll be really happy for that price.
In-stock batteries at Walmart come and go as demand dictates but they usually restock them soon enough. You can always order the EverStart battery online and then pick it up at your nearest Walmart store. Also, there are so many Walmarts around, you can check the stock at other stores nearby.

The problem with buying just any replacement battery is that the Ascent specifically requires a battery with a high Reserve Capacity. Some batteries have a high reserve capacity, many don't. The OEM Ascent battery doesn't and that clearly exacerbates the issue with the Ascent having more parasitic draw than typical. The OEM battery is not defective, it simply doesn't have an adequate reserve capacity. If you buy a battery that doesn't have this attribute, then the problem will remain the same.

If you're going to buy a replacement, it's best to choose one recommend in this thread (and others in this forum) that have proven to help mitigate the Ascent's parasitic power issue.

·
Premium Member
2022 Ascent Touring, 7 Passenger - AWD
138 Posts
Hi @Robert.Mauro ,

It seems NorthStar PRO NSB-AGM35 batteries are no longer available for purchase.
It has been replaced with : ODYSSEY Performance Battery ODP-AGM35

This link also mentions it is discontinued:

·
Registered
583 Posts
In-stock batteries at Walmart come and go as demand dictates but they usually restock them soon enough. You can always order the EverStart battery online and then pick it up at your nearest Walmart store. Also, there are so many Walmarts around, you can check the stock at other stores nearby.

The problem with buying just any replacement battery is that the Ascent specifically requires a battery with a high Reserve Capacity. Some batteries have a high reserve capacity, many don't. The OEM Ascent battery doesn't and that clearly exacerbates the issue with the Ascent having more parasitic draw than typical. The OEM battery is not defective, it simply doesn't have an adequate reserve capacity. If you buy a battery that doesn't have this attribute, then the problem will remain the same.

If you're going to buy a replacement, it's best to choose one recommend in this thread (and others in this forum) that have proven to help mitigate the Ascent's parasitic power issue.
The Costco Group 35 battery has a CCA of 640 amps. The Walmart EverStart Maxx 35N has a CCA of 640 amps. It appears the Walmart EverStart Maxx 35N may be sales restricted geographically, as I can see it on the webpage but when I click on it, it goes to an error page. In any case the Costco battery is made by Interstate, a well know quality battery brand.

https://costco.interstatebatteries....39&choice4=2043340&choice5=2043341&Country=US

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The Costco Group 35 battery has a CCA of 640 amps. The Walmart EverStart Maxx 35N has a CCA of 640 amps. It appears the Walmart EverStart Maxx 35N may be sales restricted geographically, as I can see it on the webpage but when I click on it, it goes to an error page. In any case the Costco battery is made by Interstate, a well know quality battery brand.

https://costco.interstatebatteries....39&choice4=2043340&choice5=2043341&Country=US
The CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) spec is not relevant to the parasitic drain issue. You need to compare the Reserve Capacity specifications. The Ascent requires a battery with a high reserve capacity.

The EverStart Group 35 battery has a reserve capacity of 95-100 minutes. If you live in the South, look for 35S rather than 35N, or simply ask a Walmart associate. Group 35 is a very popular size, a Walmart near you should carry it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) spec is not relevant to the parasitic drain issue. You need to compare the Reserve Capacity specifications. The Ascent requires a battery with a high reserve capacity.

The EverStart Group 35 battery has a reserve capacity of 95-100 minutes. If you live in the South, look for 35S rather than 35N, or simply ask a Walmart associate. Group 35 is a very popular size, a Walmart near you should carry it.
Weird. No Walmart near me even carries a Group 35 battery. When I enter Subaru Ascent into their configurator, it shows they carry no compatible batteries. I looked up the reserve capacity of the Costco Interstate Group 35 battery and the reserve capacity is listed at 100 minutes. And given the Costco battery is available and "only" $110, it looks like this is the default choice in my area.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,875 Posts
Weird. No Walmart near me even carries a Group 35 battery. When I enter Subaru Ascent into their configurator, it shows they carry no compatible batteries. I looked up the reserve capacity of the Costco Interstate Group 35 battery and the reserve capacity is listed at 100 minutes. And given the Costco battery is available and "only" $110, it looks like this is the default choice in my area.
You can also get the AGM version for about $160, although you may need to order it at the desk if it's not available in your local Costco or any other nearby locations. I had to get mine at "the next store over" as my normal store did not have it in stock.

Reactions: TheLex
21 - 34 of 34 Posts