Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have been reading all the battery problem posts and just do not want the headache, if I am one of the lucky ones.
What do you recommend to be the Best Battery to buy to replace the Ascent Battery and why? Thanks for all your comments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hello,
I have been reading all the battery problem posts and just do not want the headache, if I am one of the lucky ones.
What do you recommend to be the Best Battery to buy to replace the Ascent Battery and why? Thanks for all your comments
Here are my suggestions. I was going to buy the Optima but for one third the price I went with the highly rated EverStart MAXX-35N (North).

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I always buy my car batteries at Walmart. They have worked good for me. They are also great about warranty claims and they are all over the US if you need a replacement or warranty replacement on a trip.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
i think white/clear Panasonic is only on Japan made cars, and US made cars have all black battery
Then it's likely the Johnson Control batteries, aka big box store batteries. Those tend to last about 3yrs +/- several of months.

I'm trying out Interstate battery now on our 2016 Forester.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Then it's likely the Johnson Control batteries, aka big box store batteries. Those tend to last about 3yrs +/- several of months.

I'm trying out Interstate battery now on our 2016 Forester.
Johnson Controls makes batteries for vehicle OEMs, big box stores, branded batteries, the military, you name it. They will make any battery to the purchaser's specifications. So if Subaru said they wanted 500,000 batteries as inexpensively made as possible, that's what they would get. If Walmart ordered 900,000 batteries with superior specifications for their high rated MAXX-N line, that's what they would get. If Bosch ordered 30,000 batteries with the best possible specs, that's what they would get.

So you can't judge a battery based solely upon the manufacturer. Nor can you judge a battery based upon battery brands, year to year. For example, Sears might decide to switch from Johnson Controls to Interstate to make their DieHard line. They probably go out for bids every few years.

Here is a list of major automotive battery manufacturers.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Wall-mart site says this battery doesn't fit Ascent....?

This seems to be the ascent battery spec although it probably is a different manufacturer: http://uplusbattery.com/pdf/sli/automobile-battery/jis-series/75D23L.pdf you can compare the sizes from the charts or simply go there to see if it would fit and can strap down.

group 35: 9 1/16(L) x 6 7/8(W) x 8 7/8(H)
group 75:
[TD]
75​
[/TD]
[TD]
Auto​
[/TD]
[TD]9.1[/TD]
[TD]7.1[/TD]
[TD]7.3[/TD]
[TD]230[/TD]
[TD]180[/TD]
[TD]186[/TD]
[TD] 17 [/TD]
[TD]L/H-POS[/TD]
[TH][/TH]

[TD]SIDE[/TD]​

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
No matter what battery is in place, I recommend during these times of limited driving to use a trickle charger if the vehicle will be sitting for some time.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent Touring 2019
157 Posts
No matter what battery is in place, I recommend during these times of limited driving to use a trickle charger if the vehicle will be sitting for some time.
That would be nice if you have a garage with power. I live in NYC and park in public garage.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent Touring 2019
157 Posts
You could keep your Ascent battery charged with a small lithium powered battery charger. The lithium charger can then, in turn, be recharged in your apartment.
Hmm.....I was wondering if this is possible. I have lithium charger to jump battery and charge other devices.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts