Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the auto insurance game.I am waiting on my new Ascent to arrive Mid May.

With all the features that need to be fixed, example: if the windshield needs to be replaced or other things get damaged, Which Auto Insurance Company is best at taking care of your Subaru Ascent.

The two choices I am looking at right now are: (Shown in order of premium)

1. Geico (Cheapest)

2. USAA

3. All State (Highest)

I really appreciate your help and wisdom. :confused:

·
Registered
667 Posts
You'll want to break down your coverage - look carefully at what each company offers you in the policy you asked to be quoted. Unless you are actually specifying the same level of coverage in each line-item, you may not be comparing apples to apples.

There's a lot of individual end-user variables at-play - including even the area where you live and whether or not you garage your vehicle - and what's the best deal for another person may or may not match yours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would vote for USAA, I'm happy with them. They also have excellent ratings for claims and customer service.

I was very satisfied with how they handled my uninsured motorist accident and injury claim last year.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Of the three you list, USAA has a good reputation from what I've heard if you qualify to buy from them. But honestly, only you can determine which is best for your Ascent based on the coverage you are offered and your rate.

Personally, our insurance is via AAA for our autos, home and umbrella and I am extremely happy with them.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would vote for USAA, I'm happy with them. They also have excellent ratings for claims and customer service.

I was very satisfied with how they handled my uninsured motorist accident and injury claim last year.
I would agree-if you can get USAA-i would.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

I tried my best to use same coverages, etc. so I could compare Apples with Apples.

They do not make it easy.

My only concern with USAA was they use Safelite for the windshield glass, but were not sure how and who does the eyesite recalibration that others talked about on another link.

Really appreciate your insight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I endorse using USAA but can't comment about other companies.

I don't comparison shop because USAA has been good for us and has consistently high ratings.

We have used USAA for car and home insurance for over 40 years and have good driving records.

They have been extremely fair to us through all loss issues-- hurricanes, a burglary, and several windshields that were beyond repair after rock impacts. Fortunately no auto collision claims. Our grown daughters also have used USAA ever since insurance was their own responsibility.

The Ascent has the most complex windshield that we have ever had and I hope not to experience the need to replace it, but I expect USAA would act responsibly in case of the need to replace that or any of the other complex parts of the car.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thanks.

I tried my best to use same coverages, etc. so I could compare Apples with Apples.

They do not make it easy.

Yup, they definitely don't make it easy! :plain: But it's like anything else, right? Shopper beware. :tango_face_wink: As long as you're comparing apples to apples, you really should be OK. Virtually every company will have horror stories on one end and tales of going above-and-beyond at the other extreme: it's just like when you search for reviews of the vehicle itself.

In terms of the recalibration, the only definitive that I could find in the search was that as of December 2018, Safelite did not have specs from Subaru, and one member here was asked to take their vehicle into Subaru for the recal service:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/77215-post9.html

I've been unable to find more recent mentions.

I maxed my glass coverage this time around - it's my first EyeSight vehicle, and I just wasn't sure what to make of it. :dunno: That barely nudged my premium, so I figured "why not." :grin:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Travelers offered us the best rates/service. Above all else, shop your insurance every couple of years, because sticking with one insurer offers no benefits and will probably cost you a ton of money in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
I don't disagree, Sparkland, but when one has auto, homeowners and umbrella bundled with one company, it's a royal pain in the backside to switch with any frequency without really good reason, especially when homeowner premium is escrowed. Our last switch was in 2016 when our then current carrier gave us a really good reason to switch when they went from the lowest cost for my spouse and I to the highest cost with my spouse, me and our newly licensed daughter and not by an insignificant amount. If it had only been a couple hundred higher for the year, I wouldn't have bothered with the hassle, honestly. I do "spot check" every few years, however.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I’ve heard stories of these elusive good rates from usaa... but as a single male, they’re consistently the highest price by a large margin.

Nobody has been able to beat geico for me for the last 3 years. I had esurance before that and didn’t have any complaints until geico best their price.

·
Registered
590 Posts
We have been with State Farm forever and I would compare and nobody was even close for full coverage on 3 vehicles. One might be cheaper but the others higher, etc. well just this week out of curiosity I compared again and Nationwide can save us almost 100$ per month for even slightly better coverage! Looks like we might be jumping ship. I need to check out USAA I have never got a quote from them. I have noticed though that our brand new GMC truck with much higher window sticker than the Ascent is also much cheaper for insurance. I don’t really understand that at all.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
Snowgirl, both of our Subaru Outbacks seem to carry slightly higher insurance rates than my top-of-the-line $50+K Grand Cherokee did for some reason, primarily in the collision coverage. This was with two different carriers, so I suspect it's cost to repair. I'm expecting my Ascent to be slightly higher to insure than the JGC as a result.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Snowgirl, both of our Subaru Outbacks seem to carry slightly higher insurance rates than my top-of-the-line $50+K Grand Cherokee did for some reason, primarily in the collision coverage. This was with two different carriers, so I suspect it's cost to repair. I'm expecting my Ascent to be slightly higher to insure than the JGC as a result.
Never thought about it being the cost to repair. Makes more sense now. I’ve been at a loss for a reason. Haha.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
Yea, the actuaries do take into account cost for repair when rating specific vehicles. Their job hasn't gotten any easier with all the "tech" on today's rides, either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts