Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about this in another thread as a response but I am just now getting around to uploading fresh pictures I took today.

Lost story, at final delivery and inspection (thanks to the checklist on this forum) I noticed that our 2019 Ascent Touring Crystal Black Silica had a bent/warped hood. We had been waiting over a month for the car and needed my wife's car replaced at the time so we had the dealer note the hood issue on the sale paperwork to be addressed at a later date. The proposal, at the time, was to manually bend the hood by hand or adjust the hood spacers. I rejected the idea of having a sales guy bend our hood by hand and the hood spacer adjustment did not resolve the issue. We are due to take the car in to get our passenger seat ventilator fan fixed/replaced (noise started a couple days after pickup) where they said they would have the techs evaluate the hood and propose a solution. Unfortunately, I only noticed when waxing the car recently that apparently some fiber or debris got into the paint on the hood at the factory. I thought it was just a piece of dirt and wiped it off to discover it caused a probably a 1-2mm crater in the paint (imagine a tiny volcano of paint with raised sides and hole in the middle obviously not an impact chip). I haven't been able to get a good picture of the paint blemish though since I got the hood so mirror-like ;)

I'm curious if anybody else has had a similar issue with a bent hood. I try to keep an eye out here and the facebook group on pictures to see if I notice something similar on other Ascents.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The gap between the hood and grill should be uniform all the way around. Looks more like the hood is misaligned as opposed to actually being bent. It can likely be corrected by adjusting the hood latch and spacers. If the dealer wanted to try bending the hood by hand, I'd stay away from letting them do the adjustments. Insist it go to a body shop.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We already tried adjusting the spacers (passenger side lowered, drivers side raised, etc) and it did not resolve the issue. You can't really tell from the photo but it's like the pointed part of the hood that I have my finger under is bent upwards slightly and the gap along the side of the hood is also wider than that on the driver's side (like the whole side is also slightly bent). It's almost like somebody dropped the hood at manufacturing or slammed it closed after install with something in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because the hood support strut is located on the right side of the engine compartment, the same side of the hood that has the greater gap, I would guess that someone attempted to close the hood without first lowering the hood support strut and bent the hood in the process causing the gap on the right side.

I'm not a fan of this type of hood support strut. I much prefer gss-filled struts and consider the type of hood support used on the Ascent as cost-cutting measure by Subaru.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I posted about this in another thread as a response but I am just now getting around to uploading fresh pictures I took today.

Lost story, at final delivery and inspection (thanks to the checklist on this forum) I noticed that our 2019 Ascent Touring Crystal Black Silica had a bent/warped hood. We had been waiting over a month for the car and needed my wife's car replaced at the time so we had the dealer note the hood issue on the sale paperwork to be addressed at a later date. The proposal, at the time, was to manually bend the hood by hand or adjust the hood spacers. I rejected the idea of having a sales guy bend our hood by hand and the hood spacer adjustment did not resolve the issue. We are due to take the car in to get our passenger seat ventilator fan fixed/replaced (noise started a couple days after pickup) where they said they would have the techs evaluate the hood and propose a solution. Unfortunately, I only noticed when waxing the car recently that apparently some fiber or debris got into the paint on the hood at the factory. I thought it was just a piece of dirt and wiped it off to discover it caused a probably a 1-2mm crater in the paint (imagine a tiny volcano of paint with raised sides and hole in the middle obviously not an impact chip). I haven't been able to get a good picture of the paint blemish though since I got the hood so mirror-like ;)

I'm curious if anybody else has had a similar issue with a bent hood. I try to keep an eye out here and the facebook group on pictures to see if I notice something similar on other Ascents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem! I took it in to the dealership and they are trying to blame it on me hitting something that wedged under my hood. I think I would recall hitting something like that AND it would have caused considerable damage to the paint and there is none. They are having someone from a body shop look at it on Thursday to see how they can fix it. I have only had the vehicle for 6 weeks and it was not like that when I bought it. I still believe something from under the hood did this but don't know what that could be? I will show this to the dealership when I go on Thursday since they denied knowing of any such problems.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
I have the exact same problem! I took it in to the dealership and they are trying to blame it on me hitting something that wedged under my hood. I think I would recall hitting something like that AND it would have caused considerable damage to the paint and there is none. They are having someone from a body shop look at it on Thursday to see how they can fix it. I have only had the vehicle for 6 weeks and it was not like that when I bought it. I still believe something from under the hood did this but don't know what that could be? I will show this to the dealership when I go on Thursday since they denied knowing of any such problems.
One of the things that I like about my Subaru service department is that the service manager inspects every car in the write up area before it is taken Outback to the shop.

If anything is not perfect the customer is made aware of it right there which avoids any finger pointing afterwords.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Sadly, there's nothing under the hood that can cause that. ?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
A person I know, had the same problem on his Honda Ridgeline. The Honda dealer swapped the hood with another one on the lot and all is good. That way the customer did not have to wait to have it replaced from the factory. Maybe your dealer could swap out your hood - of course, the same color would be nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took my Ascent in to the dealership yesterday for a body shop rep to look at it and he confirmed that the hood is misaligned and "warped." Taking it to the body shop on Tuesday, wish me luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts