Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so, my dealer was unable to swap my 20" wheels and tires with 18" ones. I've been looking for beefier tires with the same load rating.

Currently, all I can find is this:
http://www.anrdoezrs.net/links/8442784/type/dlg/sid/ascentforums/https://www.prioritytire.com/bfgoodrich-advantage-t-a-sport-lt-245-50r20-102h-as-a-s-all-season-tire/

I really really like the Yokohama Geolander AT-S M+S tires, and decently like the Continental TerrainContacts, but alas, they're not available in the correct size. Preferably, I'd love a true all terrain tire.

Does anyone have any other recommendations or ideas?

Thanks,
R

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi all, so, my dealer was unable to swap my 20" wheels and tires with 18" ones. I've been looking for beefier tires with the same load rating.

http://www.anrdoezrs.net/links/8442784/type/dlg/sid/ascentforums/https://www.prioritytire.com/bfgoodrich-advantage-t-a-sport-lt-245-50r20-102h-as-a-s-all-season-tire/

I really really like the Yokohama Geolander AT-S M+S tires, and decently like the Continental TerrainContacts, but alas, they're not available in the correct size. Preferably, I'd love a true all terrain tire.

Thanks,
R
Yeah it's unfortunate that you gotta drop to 18 to get a decent tire selection

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

Thanks,
R
Wow, those are aggressive tires. BF Goodrich KO2's would be a nice choice if you still plan on highway driving with the Ascent. A 4Runner would have been a better choice than an Ascent.?

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, those are aggressive tires. BF Goodrich KO2's would be a nice choice if you still plan on highway driving with the Ascent. A 4Runner would have been a better choice than an Ascent.:grin:
lol, there's little I like about the 4Runners (I even checked out the new ones at the NY International Auto Show), and I can't imagine the far more powerful Ascent will be any less capable than my Outback - and I'd ran Continental ContiProContacts for years before getting the Yokos. :tango_face_wink:

Anyway, the KO2's don't come in any size that'll fit, and my Yokos and TerrainContacts are more aggressive than the Advantage T/A Sports. :grin:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wow, those are aggressive tires. BF Goodrich KO2's would be a nice choice if you still plan on highway driving with the Ascent. A 4Runner would have been a better choice than an Ascent.:grin:
BFG KO's are an amazing tire. I have had two sets on my 2003 Taco. Those things have taken me to amazing places here in Colorado. On more then one occasion I have had people on ATV's ask how I got to a certain spot. 'Same way you came in' I tell them. My Tacoma is stock except for my KO's. WELL worth the price (at least on 16's)

Reactions: EMDSS and Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BFG KO's are an amazing tire. I have had two sets on my 2003 Taco. Those things have taken me to amazing places here in Colorado. On more then one occasion I have had people on ATV's ask how I got to a certain spot. 'Same way you came in' I tell them. My Tacoma is stock except for my KO's. WELL worth the price (at least on 16's)
I love the tires. I hate that they don't have a size that fits the 20" rims. :sad:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I love the tires. I hate that they don't have a size that fits the 20" rims. :sad:
Oh man, I had no idea. Probably 'cause the side walls would be to thin. Big bummer. Hence another reason to try to go down to 18's. I would certainly consider it as well.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh man, I had no idea. Probably 'cause the side walls would be to thin. Big bummer. Hence another reason to try to go down to 18's. I would certainly consider it as well.
I'm going to make an attempt to see if there's anyone in the groups who wants to do a swap. It's literally a thousand plus upcharge to upgrade in store. They can simply cover the TPMS reprogram cost and swap labor cost, and save a grand.

Crossing fingers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I wonder if i can find some good winter wheels and some blizzaks for true winter driving... by Cars101, the base has 18"x7.5. I wonder if they have some like steelies I can put on in that size... brb

·
Registered
291 Posts

Thanks,
R
You need 17' rims to get proper A/T tires. I have the 225/65/17 BFG KO2s on my 2018 Crosstrek. Wonderfull tires/wheels, just glides over the rough stuff on our shale rock/gravel road to our cabin.

Keep your 20s and get a set of 17" OEM 2018 Crosstrek rims (lots of guys selling these on their Crosstrek to buy 15s). They have 55 offset, just like the Ascent and have more clearance for the larger front brake calipers. Other Subaru 17" rims (like from Forester or prev gen Crosstrek) won't work, as their brakes are smaller. To be safe, though, I would do a test fit on the front wheels, just to be sure you have enough clearance on the calipers.

Then get a set of 245/65/17 BFG KO2s for the Ascent,... best A/T tire you can buy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You need 17' rims to get proper A/T tires. I have the 225/65/17 BFG KO2s on my 2018 Crosstrek. Wonderfull tires/wheels, just glides over the rough stuff on our shale rock/gravel road to our cabin.

Keep your 20s and get a set of 17" OEM 2018 Crosstrek rims (lots of guys selling these on their Crosstrek to buy 15s). They have 55 offset, just like the Ascent and have more clearance for the larger front brake calipers. Other Subaru 17" rims (like from Forester or prev gen Crosstrek) won't work, as their brakes are smaller. To be safe, though, I would do a test fit on the front wheels, just to be sure you have enough clearance on the calipers.

Then get a set of 245/65 R16 BFG KO2s for the Ascent,... best A/T tire you can buy.

I almost bought these for my Grand Cherokee. I settled on Toyo Open Country AT/2's all around and haven't been happier with them! I will for sure look into winter tires if it gets bad in UT this winter.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The primary market for beefy tires will be for 16-17" rims for cars of this size. Anything bigger, 18" or 20", will be a sacrifice, whether it's the options or costs.

If you have a 20", I wouldn't even mess with it. You'll increase the track width and cause potential rubbings, at the same time fail at obtaining a beefy tires. Another word, the damng rim is too BIG!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holding off on the 17s then.

Then get a set of 245/65/17 BFG KO2s for the Ascent,... best A/T tire you can buy.
The primary market for beefy tires will be for 16-17" rims for cars of this size. Anything bigger, 18" or 20", will be a sacrifice, whether it's the options or costs.

If you have a 20", I wouldn't even mess with it. You'll increase the track width and cause potential rubbings, at the same time fail at obtaining a beefy tires. Another word, the damng rim is too BIG!!!
I'm going to go the route RP suggests, if someone can confirm the Crosstrek 17s will fit. May or may not get the BFGs. I *really* like them, but I like the more laid back on road ride of the Yokohamas too. Not sure yet.

But first... the rims. Need to get fit confirmed. :plain:

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wheel and Tire Sizes

Going to try to take some measurements, and I might try to swap my Outback rims onto the car to see if they fit... there's a ton of space between rim and calipers.

Here's the Ascent's tire and wheel sizes in "mm (in)"

18"
  • Tire size: 245/60R18 105H @ 35psi
  • Wheel size: 18 x 7½ J
  • Inset: 55 (2.17)
  • P.C.D.: 114.3 (4.5)
20"
  • Tire size: 245/50R20 102H @ 33psi
  • Wheel size: 20 x 7½ J
  • Inset: 55 (2.17)
  • P.C.D.: 114.3 (4.5)

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appropriate Tire Sizes

Ok, on 17" rims, the following sizes have a decent selection of all terrains:

• 245/65R17 - 31% more sidewall and same width, 3/10th a percent difference in circumference
  • 235/70R17 - 35% more sidewall and a little narrower, 7/10th a percent difference in circumference
I couldn't find other suitable 17" sizes that had decent all terrain selection (or any all terrain tires in most cases).

Now, to narrow down the rims that will fit over the calipers.

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Local tire shop couldn't find any rim manufacturer with enough info, so wanted to sell me the same sizes that come stock.

Tomorrow, I will try to get measurements at the dealership of Outback and Crosstrek 17" rims.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Local tire shop couldn't find any rim manufacturer with enough info, so wanted to sell me the same sizes that come stock.

Tomorrow, I will try to get measurements at the dealership of Outback and Crosstrek 17" rims.
Be sure they are the 2018 Crosstrek 17" rims. The prev gen 17" rims won't fit.

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Be sure they are the 2018 Crosstrek 17" rims. The prev gen 17" rims won't fit.
Do you know for sure that the 2018 Crosstrek 17" rims will fit? If so, then I can use those as a reference and measure other rims, without having to pull my wheel to measure my calipers to hub center.

That'd be a big help.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts