Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, who has upgraded their battery?

I'll be adding led fog lights and led light bar next week, and especially in light (ha!) of people's comments on battery issues, I'm wondering who has upgraded their battery and to what?

I don't know anything about batteries, what's dependable, robust, etc.? My desire is to buy the best, and one I wouldn't "outgrow" with future accessory power stuff, as opposed to trying to save money and having to buy again sooner.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Watch this video and then get an EverStart Maxx from Walmart. I replaced my Ascent battery with this and have never had an issue since. Don't spend up to $200 or more on a battery, it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts

I'll be adding led fog lights and led light bar next week, and especially in light (ha!) of people's comments on battery issues, I'm wondering who has upgraded their battery and to what?

I don't know anything about batteries, what's dependable, robust, etc.? My desire is to buy the best, and one I wouldn't "outgrow" with future accessory power stuff, as opposed to trying to save money and having to buy again sooner.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
For those without a CR subscription:

The 3 columns are Life, Reserve Capacity, and CCA respectively.

Again, the EverStart Maxx 35N looks to be the best battery for the money. You could buy three of these and have money left over compared to the Odyssey's price.

You can get these at Walmart.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree. If a person is thinking that the Odyssey is a better battery that might last longer, then an option could be to buy the EverStart and spend $90 on a lithium battery jump-starter to carry in your vehicle. I got a TopVision starter lithium batter jump starter last Black Friday for $60. I haven't needed to use it yet to jump start my Ascent (or any other vehicle), but it gives me peace of mind having the jump starter in the car. I charged the TopVision when I got it in November and three months later it still has retained 99% of its charge,

For those without a CR subscription:

The 3 columns are Life, Reserve Capacity, and CCA respectively.
View attachment 3490

Again, the EverStart Maxx 35N looks to be the best battery for the money. You could buy three of these and have money left over compared to the Odyssey's price.

You can get these at Walmart.

Reactions: pro10is

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I agree. If a person is thinking that the Odyssey is a better battery that might last longer, then an option could be to buy the EverStart and spend $90 on a lithium battery jump-starter to carry in your vehicle. I got a TopVision starter lithium batter jump starter last Black Friday for $60. I haven't needed to use it yet to jump start my Ascent (or any other vehicle), but it gives me peace of mind having the jump starter in the car. I charged the TopVision when I got it in November and three months later it still has retained 99% of its charge,
I charge my Interstate Lithium battery jumper every month just to keep it fresh since I keep it in the vehicle even during the winter months.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I charge my Interstate Lithium battery jumper every month just to keep it fresh since I keep it in the vehicle even during the winter months.
That's reasonable. I also keep my Lithium battery jumper in the vehicle all the time, even in the winter. However our Ascent is kept in our garage, so I only saw a 1% decrease in the charge over 3 months. I have a reminder on my smartphone to check the charge every 3 months, but since it only lost 1% of the charge, I didn't bother to charge the Lithium battery jumper yet, and I will check the charge again in three months.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I always go with Walmart batteries they are nice about returns if it goes bad and there are Walmarts everywhere. No matter where I travel there is always a Walmart if my battery goes bad.

·
Super Moderator
2,419 Posts
Next best place to get an everstart maxx? Of course every Walmart within 50 miles doesn’t have it in stock.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
^^^ Ran into that same problem trying to buy one for our Tundra a while back.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Next best place to get an everstart maxx? Of course every Walmart within 50 miles doesn’t have it in stock.
Ask them to order you one. They always have them in stock where I live for some reason, probably because it's so cold here and batteries sell fast so they keep a lot on hand.

Be sure to get the "North" version 35N, the South version 35S has less CCA.

Some say the batteries sold by Costco are identical, but I can't verify that. They're both made by Johnson Controls but the internal specs may be different. The good thing about Costco is their return policy is even better than Walmart's.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks!
I've used a NorthStar sealed battery with brass terminals ( No Corrosion ) in my Nissan Xterra 4x4 with zero problems for over 3 years.
The NorthStar NSB-AGM35 is a bit pricey but I think it's worth the cost, check it out!

·
Registered
59 Posts

Thanks!
I bought the Odyssey b/c i need to leave the tailgate open for long periods of time (5-8 hours) for my dog training, and went thru 2 Subaru batteries rather quickly. I noticed that the new battery was no longer holding a full charge - even after driving an hour home. Even when I use a bench charger, I cannot get it back up to full charge of 12.84v (it's usually 12.65v). However, if you don't need to have your tailgate open for long periods of time, then any of the batteries recommended in this post should be fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went to the Walmart website, put in my zip code, and searched for EverStart Maxx 35N . They have six in stock. Then they asked for my vehicle details and gave me a message that the battery was not the right one for my car:

Report incorrect product information
EverStartEverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group Size 35N (12 Volt/640 CCA)
Average Rating:(3.7)starsout of5stars74 ratings, based on74reviews
370 comments
EverStart
Walmart # 571648965
$98.76
Only 6 left!
Sorry, there are no items available right now in this category that fit your 2021 Subaru Ascent.

But this battery WILL work, right?

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I went to the Walmart website, put in my zip code, and searched for EverStart Maxx 35N . They have six in stock. Then they asked for my vehicle details and gave me a message that the battery was not the right one for my car:

Report incorrect product information
EverStartEverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group Size 35N (12 Volt/640 CCA)
Average Rating:(3.7)starsout of5stars74 ratings, based on74reviews
370 comments
EverStart
Walmart # 571648965
$98.76
Only 6 left!
Sorry, there are no items available right now in this category that fit your 2021 Subaru Ascent.

But this battery WILL work, right?
a group size of 35 is all you need to know that it will fit. They are all the same within that group. I have read that the N designation is a performance parameter having to do with reserve capacity.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts