Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I took delivery of my 2020 Ascent Limited in November of 2019, and I'm on my second battery. Ascent is currently in the shop (at 2,265 miles) for a parasitic load test because I'm once again having trouble getting it started. (Replacement was in mid July.) Between the July replacement and August/Sept failure, I drove 619 miles - a mixture of highway and city- and I was super vigilant about the lift gate, lights, and doors. We don't have kids so the lights/doors weren't "forgotten." We're talking two type-A nerds. Today, I got pretty upset when the dealer said that Subaru says the spec for open doors is 5 minutes max - but that's a story for another day.

I'm curious about two things :

First, I want to build / buy a little amp logger (probably with RaspberryPI) to trace the draw patterns and get some real data on the parasitic load. (Based on the forums, I don't have much hope for the dealer actually being able to fix the issue.)

First Question: Does anyone happen to know the max amps one can expect to see on the battery of the Ascent? I know the battery has 550 CCA, but I'm not sure if the draw will ever hit that. Would a 400A rated loop suffice?

Second Question: I saw a reference to a hidden head menu somewhere to get a readout of the voltage. I know the voltage isn't as useful of a data point, but I'm very VERY interested in hidden menus to get more diagnostic data. Does anyone have more info on Ascent hidden menus beyond the home + double tap on tune button one?

Yes, yes ... I'll keep googling, but I thought I would throw this in here in case (1) folks want to know they're not alone in the craptastic battery issues and (2) folks have previously consolidated the hidden menu tips and tricks.

Third Question: Has anyone approached the two class action lawsuit law firms about the battery / lift gate? Are they legit or would I regret giving them my information?

Thanks in advance for info on the amps, tips and tricks for the head unit, and/or simply good-old-fashioned commiseration on the battery/electrical issues of a brand-new-car.

p.s. Also - many thanks to this forum for helping me get the SOA ASPCA pricing. I wasn't a member then, but this forum really helped me navigate the negotiations process, and I am forever grateful for that!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup! I did that on the way home from the dealer just to watch it go. (re: home + tune twice, volt meter) Got 14.1 on the way home. Landed at 12.6. Had to change some settings in the driveway, last read 12.4. Will definitely be using that a fair amount in my future.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW, I ended up buying a normal hand held ammeter and a couple faraday pouches for the keys.

(My excuse: A lot of the Raspberry pi and Arduino stuff is out of stock or at least a little harder to track down due to better uses for COVID.)

I am still contemplating ways to hook up a solar suitcase to my travel trailer and figure out if there is a good way to feed some of the power back to the Ascent while camping. (More to come.)

Will post some of my measurements here and/or on the appropriate threads.

Thanks all! This forum has been a (mental) life saver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts