Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been at the dealership many times because the battery in my Subaru keeps dying on me. They can't find the root of the problem. Plus they told me it's totally normal that it does that. I might be a woman but I'm no idiot. Here's what they told me to do:
1. Drive it every day for an hour or so.(With the price of gas today, that's not going to happen plus I don't want to put in too many km on my vehicle as it will need to last me a long time as I can't afford another one)
2. Buy a battery tender and plug it(I do not have an outlet at my house to plug it into) and this will not work if I go to the airport and need to leave my vehicle there for a few days or when I go camping in the woods with my grandkids as there are no electricity or cell phone services there.
3. Bring tools and unhook the battery - I don't have a clue how to do this
4. Call a tow truck to have it boosted every time - This is too expensive

I'm beyond frustrated as I've been on foot for many weeks now and I just talked to them again today and the guy at service told me that it's totally normal that it does that and that they wasted many hours on my vehicle and they won't do anything else for me. It's hard to believe that I spent close to $70,000 for this vehicle and I'm on foot. I called Subaru Canada twice, they were supposed to get back to me but never did. I know there has been many class action law suit going on for this issue. I read every comments in this forum and on the internet but nothing seem to fix the problem. It's my first Subaru and bought it before reading about how much trouble they are and the lack of service you get when you have problems with your Subaru. Can someone help me?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been at the dealership many times because the battery in my Subaru keeps dying on me. They can't find the root of the problem. Plus they told me it's totally normal that it does that. I might be a woman but I'm no idiot. Here's what they told me to do:
1. Drive it every day for an hour or so.(With the price of gas today, that's not going to happen plus I don't want to put in too many km on my vehicle as it will need to last me a long time as I can't afford another one)
2. Buy a battery tender and plug it(I do not have an outlet at my house to plug it into) and this will not work if I go to the airport and need to leave my vehicle there for a few days or when I go camping in the woods with my grandkids as there are no electricity or cell phone services there.

I'm beyond frustrated as I've been on foot for many weeks now and I just talked to them again today and the guy at service told me that it's totally normal that it does that and that they wasted many hours on my vehicle and they won't do anything else for me. It's hard to believe that I spent close to $70,000 for this vehicle and I'm on foot. I called Subaru Canada twice, they were supposed to get back to me but never did. I know there has been many class action law suit going on for this issue. I read every comments in this forum and on the internet but nothing seem to fix the problem. It's my first Subaru and bought it before reading about how much trouble they are and the lack of service you get when you have problems with your Subaru. Can someone help me?
What you're describing here is absolutely not normal for any modern car that I am familiar with. I think I would recomend two things.
  • Purchase a lithium battery jump such as this one AmazonSmile: Imazing Portable Car Jump Starter - 2000A Peak 18000mAH (Up to 8.0L Gas or 7.5L Diesel Engine) 12V Auto Battery Booster Portable Power Pack with Indicator Jumper Cables, QC 3.0 and LED Light : Automotive . We have one of these in every vehicle we own, and they are quite useful in the case that you do accidently run the battery down while camping, which we have done, or have some similar misadventure. These are small enough to stash under a seat or with the spare tire.
  • We had a similar thing happen with our outback. The dome light got left on a couple of times and drained the battery down to 0. Once this happened if it was left for more than a couple of days the battery would be dead and it would have to be jump started. By the time this happened it was out of warranty, so my only recourse was to purchase a new battery, but I assume that is not the case for you. Regardless of whether you have some other issue I would see if you can get the battery replaced under warranty and see if that fixes your problem.

Best of luck,
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try a different dealer - if you can. I had a ”weak” battery but i do drive a lot so it only ever died a couple times. when i finally did get around to having it looked at (out of warranty) the dealer wanted almost $400 for a new battery. Went to Costco and replaced for $100.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's absurd. I leave my Ascent parked for WEEKS and it still starts up. During the pandemic, I rarely drove it, so it sat for weeks at a time. I do try to drive it at least 2-3 times a month on any long (30+ mins drives) and it seems to still be working fine. There was once where my remote start didn't work where I thought the battery was too low voltage to start the car, but I could still start it with the push button. I did put it on a battery tender overnight after that, but that was after almost a month of not driving it.

·
Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl Onyx
243 Posts
Personally I'd replace the battery and see if the behavior returns. It's a salty thing to buy out of pocket, but it lets you knock that off the table. It may have been flattened one too many times and is just a PITA now. Undead batteries can cause all kinds of weird issues.

If the behavior returns then go to another dealer and start chewing your way up SoC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you're describing here is absolutely not normal for any modern car that I am familiar with. I think I would recomend two things.
  • Purchase a lithium battery jump such as this one AmazonSmile: Imazing Portable Car Jump Starter - 2000A Peak 18000mAH (Up to 8.0L Gas or 7.5L Diesel Engine) 12V Auto Battery Booster Portable Power Pack with Indicator Jumper Cables, QC 3.0 and LED Light : Automotive . We have one of these in every vehicle we own, and they are quite useful in the case that you do accidently run the battery down while camping, which we have done, or have some similar misadventure. These are small enough to stash under a seat or with the spare tire.
  • We had a similar thing happen with our outback. The dome light got left on a couple of times and drained the battery down to 0. Once this happened if it was left for more than a couple of days the battery would be dead and it would have to be jump started. By the time this happened it was out of warranty, so my only recourse was to purchase a new battery, but I assume that is not the case for you. Regardless of whether you have some other issue I would see if you can get the battery replaced under warranty and see if that fixes your problem.

Best of luck,
John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is my 3rd battery. I didn't know the battery was on warranty so because of covid I purchased an interstate battery and got it replaced by a friend of mine who owns a garage but something kept drawing on the battery and the battery went dead 4 more times so my friend replaced it no charge as this one was on warranty. The battery died at least 4 more times since then. Subaru Canada and the car dealership all told me that this is totally normal that all vehicles they sell with a lot of "toys" does the same thing. I don't understand why they don't tell their customers that before they purchase a Subaru. Apparently, there have been many class action lawsuits again Subaru for this very reason. I'm not giving up, I've worked at a car dealership before and know how it works. If I look on the bright side, I am saving a lot of gas as it's either being towed or at the dealership. lol Thanks so much for the information. Much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,384 Posts
I'm truly thinking that the biggest problem you have right now isn't the vehicle...it's the dealer service department. So I'll also suggest working with a different dealer if that's possible and not ten billion miles away.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent Touring 2019
210 Posts
Call SOA directly and tell them you buying new battery. Buy the best you can get. They reimburse you for better battery. That's what I did and many others. Since then I never had any issues with battery anymore.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ah, well since you've done the battery you are left with the dealer network to identify the root cause. Find another dealer, the one you have been dealing with are useless. Call SoC and coordinate with them, making sure to document your issues with the previous dealer. Let them know that this dealer experience has soured you on the brand and casts doubts on brand loyalty. This kind of situation, historically, angers the Subaru and they make things happen.

This is not normal behavior for the car. You may have that goofy hatch controller issue, which is a known thing with a tech bullitan for it. That should have popped up if the dealer did their research at all. They probably spent more time blowing smoke at you than if they just would have done it right.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I too had problems with the stock battery in my 2020 Ascent: it was dying if I left the rear gate open for any length of time with the engine off. The final straw was when I drove to the store, sat in my driveway with the engine off fiddling with the dash settings for maybe 15 minutes; and the battery was too drained to start it.

My dealer is an hour and a half away, I didn't want to waste a day, only to have them install another sub-standard factory bsttery which would no doubt prove to be just as bad after a couple years.

So I bit the bullet and bought a new Odyssey Performance series battery, based on Consumer Reports high rating, and installed it in my Ascent. And--- inspired I believe by something I'd read here--- I reached out to Subaru of America Customer Service to see if they'd be willing to reimburse me the ~ $250 the new battery had cost me.

And lo and behold! They got right back to me, said they'd be happy to reimburse me, and asked me for a copy of my receipt; which I supplied. A week or two later, I received a check for what I'd paid.

I was very pleased to have upgraded my battery, at no costand with minimal hassle.

Give it a try....

·
Registered
1 Posts

Had the same issue with our 2017 Outback, which definitely had a design flaw in that the rear lift gate drew power to keep itself open. We’d go camping and leave the hatch open and the battery would drain. Luckily we bought a Noco battery booster ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKUPI...d=ZZXOHY3DKPWY&amp&sprefix=lithium+car+batter ) and were able to jump with no fuss.

Eventually, the battery just started dying randomly. After having the battery replaced by the dealer 3 times in about a year, we ended up trading in on a 2021 Ascent. I had some concerns about that, but so far, no electrical issues, even with lots of ‘toys’.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am sorry the dealer treated you with misogyny and arrogance. They know this is not "normal" behavior for the (any) car. If you can get to another dealer, try that. Also go up the chain to Subaru headquarters, as was suggested.

I also carry a lithiium jump starter in both my cars (the Ascent is the only Subaru at the moment), as you can start your car without another vehicle needed. They take up less space than good jumper cables and are cleaner, too. Just be sure to charge it occasionally.

If you get desperate, there are disconnectors that easily attach (by you or a mechanic in 5 minutes) that let you just turn a knob at the battery to cut the electricity to the car so the battery can't discharge. They are sold mainly to help prevent theft, since the car won't start and the thief probably does not want to spend the time to find out why. Note, this is NOT an ignition cut off switch that will not allow the car to start but will still allow battery drain. This will disconnect all the electronics, so some things will need resetting (the radio stations remained after the battery change) and I would only do this as a last resort.

My Ascent battery died in December at about 38 months. Since I needed to use the car, I went to Costco and bought a battery and put it in, forgetting I had the extended warranty. After 4 months it died, so I pulled it out and brought it to Costco, who replaced it with no questions and no charge. Of course, I had to install it.

Please try not to assume that all Subaru dealers are as awful as this one sounds.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have had similar issues on my 2019. I have professional snapon scanner so I st
started recording the codes stored. I did a little troubleshooting based on the history codes. I removed the cargo area light bulb last year. The issue went away. The dealer put it back in issue returned. I took it back out. Still not fixed. But the battery does not die

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have had similar issues on my 2019. I have professional snapon scanner so I st
started recording the codes stored. I did a little troubleshooting based on the history codes. I removed the cargo area light bulb last year. The issue went away. The dealer put it back in issue returned. I took it back out. Still not fixed. But the battery does not die
Now that's random. The mere presence of the bulb causes drain, not lit just in the socket right? o_O

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts
That's odd, but not odd at the same time. Do you have access to a clamp on DC ammeter? And, from what you're describing, I gather you never had your liftgate controller replaced?

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's odd, but not odd at the same time. Do you have access to a clamp on DC ammeter? And, from what you're describing, I gather you never had your liftgate controller replaced?
Still had an issue afterwards. Yes I have an amp clamp. Troubleshooting electrical issues was what I did for a career for over 40 years. I specialized in fixing phantom issues and history codes. I could not get my dealer to troubleshoot the cause of all the history codes. I had to be cautious because I did not want to void the warranty. The light bulb is still out of the socket. I'm upgrading to a 2022 next month. My lease is up cheaper to get a new one

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring / 2020 Forester Touring
797 Posts
Still had an issue afterwards. Yes I have an amp clamp. Troubleshooting electrical issues was what I did for a career for over 40 years. I specialized in fixing phantom issues and history codes. I could not get my dealer to troubleshoot the cause of all the history codes. I had to be cautious because I did not want to void the warranty. The light bulb is still out of the socket. I'm upgrading to a 2022 next month. My lease is up cheaper to get a new one
Ascent cargo area light got switch on it ... simple circuit interrupter

1 - 20 of 29 Posts