Subaru Ascent Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time with dealer. Call SOA and buy better replacement.
I'm confused by this. So if I need a replacement battery and I want it covered under warranty, I can bypass the dealer and call SOA directly? And they'll send me a check for a new battery? What's the limit of the charge?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks all for the great detail. It has been very helpful.

My 2019 Ascent has had troubles 4 times now. I had a tow truck provide a boost three times and was at home for the other so just put on the charger.

My brother as a business that sells batteries so I was telling him about the problem. He brought out his array of testing equipment and found the battery was passing all of the electronic tests. He opened up the cells and checked the specific gravity of the acid - it failed miserbly. It seems that is why the battery can look good for a while but runs down very quickly. He recommended an AGM. I have an appointment on Monday with the dealer but I think I will cancel that and go with the new AGM, it seems to have solved most of the problems.

I agree the OEM battery is simply sub-par, it belongs in one of the Fix Or Repair Daily vehicles not a beautiful Subaru. I had the same trouble with the pitiful tires that were put on, they were less than 50% life remaining at 18K, one tire was destroy by a minor rock on a gravel road and of course there were actually NO replacement tires, I had to replace all 4.

Why would a high end mfg like Subaru cut the corners on the consumables? (of course the answer if obvious but it seems so short sighted, it is DAMN embarrasing to have a tow truck beside your 2019 vehicle, if I saw that I would be very reluctant to buy that make.

Hear is hoping that SOA and SOC will see the light!

Garth

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok, here's a question I haven't seen addressed (though I admit I might have missed it) - is the Ascent charging system smart? Different battery chemistries require different charging algorithms to keep the battery up to spec. If the charging system is programmed for flooded cell and you put in an AGM or Gel, the battery may not last as long as it should. I'm not sure what the OEM battery is, and though I've looked a bit, I may have missed it. Any input? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
My 2019 Ascent has had troubles 4 times now.
I feel lucky at >32K miles I'm still on the OEM battery and it has never died on me. Now hopefully after saying that she'll still make it to her second birthday next week without it dying :LOL:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Ok, here's a question I haven't seen addressed (though I admit I might have missed it) - is the Ascent charging system smart? Different battery chemistries require different charging algorithms to keep the battery up to spec. If the charging system is programmed for flooded cell and you put in an AGM or Gel, the battery may not last as long as it should. I'm not sure what the OEM battery is, and though I've looked a bit, I may have missed it. Any input? Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I may have stated my question poorly. Not looking for a replacement (yet). What I am curious about is if the Ascent can correctly charge an AGM battery. I know it 'can' charge one, but if it's not charging correctly it may noticeably shorten the life of the battery. Does that make sense?

That is a pretty good battery, though.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I may have stated my question poorly. Not looking for a replacement (yet). What I am curious about is if the Ascent can correctly charge an AGM battery. I know it 'can' charge one, but if it's not charging correctly it may noticeably shorten the life of the battery. Does that make sense?

That is a pretty good battery, though.

Thanks.
The Ascent comes with a conventional flooded lead-acid battery so it's likely that its voltage regulator has a fixed float voltage setting of 14.4 VDC which is ideal for such batteries. However, AGM batteries are sensitive to overcharging. They can tolerate a voltage setting of 14.4 VDC for relatively short periods of time, but the proper float setting of an AGM should be no more than 13.8 VDC for long periods of time. This is one of the reasons that microprocessor-controlled smart battery chargers have a separate setting for AGM batteries.

So, in theory, if you install an AGM battery in your Ascent and then drive for many hours such as on a long trip, you could conceivably overcharge the AGM which in turn could shorten its life in the long run.

Practically though, AGMs work well as replacements for flooded lead-acid batteries in automotive applications most of the time. Unless you regularly drive for many hours at a time, I wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had some experience with the exceptional quality of the Subaru OEM batteries in our 2015 Outback. We were having "slow" starts, sometimes barely turning over, during the summer and fall of 2017, so I put in an AGM battery before winter. We were also experiencing power hatch issues and head unit resets at random. The new battery cured all of our electrical anomalies. We bought our Ascent in May of this year. Even though the battery is rated at 500 CCA's, much better than the 2015 Outback's 330 CCA's, every time I left the hatch open, or the doors open to load, etc. (Each door has a puddle lamp) I was worried about the weak battery in the Ascent, with only a 60 minute reserve capacity. We sprang for an Odyssey 35-PC1400T, which we installed without issue. My daughter has a 2016 Forester with a 2 year old Subaru battery that was replaced under warranty but showing signs of weakness, so I gave her the Ascent battery. The Forester Premium has much lower demands placed on the battery. Hopefully she will get 2-3 years out of it. Now we have battery peace of mind. LOL

81 - 93 of 93 Posts