Subaru Ascent Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
I don't mind letting it sit, and I put a battery maintainer on it if it's going to be lengthy. Short drives that don't heat the oil, engine and exhaust system up to operating temperatures for a sufficient amount of time leaves moisture/condensation in the engine and exhaust which is less than ideal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m waking a dead thread here, but I’m having some issues, I was wondering if any of you had anything similar with battery related concerns.
2019 ascent limited. Had it since March 2019. 3 weeks after we bought it I went outside and noticed that cooling fans on ascent were running full bore, and it was 4+ hours since it was last driven. Stone cold. Long story short I disconnected fans for the night to keep battery from draining, plugged them in the following morning (they came back on instantly) and drove it to the dealer. They had it for 2 weeks, the remote start module was deemed bad and was causing battery to drain/ignition partially on (factory Subaru remote start, dealer installed)

No issues since until 3 weeks ago, I walked out to driveway to take my other car and noticed cooling fans on full speed, car last driven about 8 hours prior to that. Unplugged fans, drove to dealer the following morning, they couldn’t verify it, told me they’re not sure, they did a couple updates for recalls, said hopefully that fixes it.
I purchased a Bluetooth battery voltage monitoring device (rated at 1mA draw, and Attached it to ascent and have been keeping watch.

first observation, car not driven for two days, battery voltage will drop down to 12.3, in my professional opinion (I’m a mechanic by trade) not normal. These last two days I noticed a 15 minute, I identical window of a battery voltage drop one at 2 am yesterday and at 10pm today. I also reviewed data from yesterday and something really weird caught my eye, I needed to move vehicle out of driveway to access garage, so I parked in on the street with hazards for 15 minutes, meaning I started it twice and have hazards on in between starts. Looks like alternator never charged during that 15 minute procedure. Voltage dropped down to 12.

This weekend I’m hoping to do some testing here to make sure my Bluetooth monitor is as advertised 1mA draw. And I’d like to do my own parasitic draw test, I read this whole thread and saw that 15-25 mA was reported but that’s normal, it shouldn’t drop battery voltage that low.
Maybe it is crappy factory battery, but I’m concerned with the spikes randomly popping up that indicates a gremlin somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
I’m waking a dead thread here, but I’m having some issues, I was wondering if any of you had anything similar with battery related concerns.
2019 ascent limited. Had it since March 2019. 3 weeks after we bought it I went outside and noticed that cooling fans on ascent were running full bore, and it was 4+ hours since it was last driven. Stone cold. Long story short I disconnected fans for the night to keep battery from draining, plugged them in the following morning (they came back on instantly) and drove it to the dealer. They had it for 2 weeks, the remote start module was deemed bad and was causing battery to drain/ignition partially on (factory Subaru remote start, dealer installed)

No issues since until 3 weeks ago, I walked out to driveway to take my other car and noticed cooling fans on full speed, car last driven about 8 hours prior to that. Unplugged fans, drove to dealer the following morning, they couldn’t verify it, told me they’re not sure, they did a couple updates for recalls, said hopefully that fixes it.
I purchased a Bluetooth battery voltage monitoring device (rated at 1mA draw, and Attached it to ascent and have been keeping watch.

first observation, car not driven for two days, battery voltage will drop down to 12.3, in my professional opinion (I’m a mechanic by trade) not normal. These last two days I noticed a 15 minute, I identical window of a battery voltage drop one at 2 am yesterday and at 10pm today. I also reviewed data from yesterday and something really weird caught my eye, I needed to move vehicle out of driveway to access garage, so I parked in on the street with hazards for 15 minutes, meaning I started it twice and have hazards on in between starts. Looks like alternator never charged during that 15 minute procedure. Voltage dropped down to 12.

This weekend I’m hoping to do some testing here to make sure my Bluetooth monitor is as advertised 1mA draw. And I’d like to do my own parasitic draw test, I read this whole thread and saw that 15-25 mA was reported but that’s normal, it shouldn’t drop battery voltage that low.
Maybe it is crappy factory battery, but I’m concerned with the spikes randomly popping up that indicates a gremlin somewhere. View attachment 3081 View attachment 3082
Those spikes are likely the fuel system testing for leaks.

Also where do you store your keyfobs?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Wife sometimes stores the fob in the cup holder overnight. I keep telling her to hang it inside on the key hook ~15ft away. I haven’t had any battery issues on our 3mo old Ascent, but I’ve got my eye on it.

Is there anything official in the manual warning against leaving the fob in close proximity for extended periods of time?

I know this was an absolute no-no on my Bimmer, but those cars are notorious for parasitic battery drain issues anyway.

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
Wife sometimes stores the fob in the cup holder overnight. I keep telling her to hang it inside on the key hook ~15ft away. I haven’t had any battery issues on our 3mo old Ascent, but I’ve got my eye on it.

Is there anything official in the manual warning against leaving the fob in close proximity for extended periods of time?

I know this was an absolute no-no on my Bimmer, but those cars are notorious for parasitic battery drain issues anyway.
Yep, 6.6 feet I believe. Otherwise, it will chatter with the car all night, killing the battery and keeping parts of the car awake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those spikes are likely the fuel system testing for leaks.

Also where do you store your keyfobs?
i would except that answer, except that’s the first time in 2 weeks that those little consecutive spikes have happened. And temperature wasn’t any warmer last night, evap system generally don’t run evap tests below ~45*. (I’m assuming you meant evap system when you mention fuel system doing a leak test) It was mid to low 30’s the last few days.

·
Registered
377 Posts
@timka86, what bluetooth voltage monitor are you using? Sounds like a great capability to have.

FYI my battery (on my third OEM battery in 28 months) is dropping to 11.6v in 40F overnight, so I had Subaru check the battery when I was getting my 24K service this past week. They said it load tested fine, better than rating. It starts fine, but being below 12v is making me nervous - past batteries that got to mid-11.x voltage overnight did not pass the load test, so they gave me warranty replacements.

F.S.

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
And temperature wasn’t any warmer last night, evap system generally don’t run evap tests below ~45*. (I’m assuming you meant evap system when you mention fuel system doing a leak test) It was mid to low 30’s the last few days.
Yes, the evap system is part of the fuel system, and the specific part I was talking about.

I can't find anywhere in the service manual where it states a turn off temperature for the system in the Ascent. Is there something that you can point me to?

It's also possible it's the telematics system? There's a bunch of possibilities. I'd be curious to see if you could find a pattern over time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Odyssey 35-PC1400T arrived about a half hour ago and I’m already done installing. Easy breezy using the VSTM OBD II Vehicle ECU Emergency Power Supply Cable Memory Saver that I connected to my boat battery parked next to the Ascent. It’s a Group 35 size so it fit perfectly with zero mods.

Again, my past experiences with Odyssey batteries have been wonderful. I would rather do it right the first time. If Subaru replaced the battery it would have been with the same problematic one. It’s better to spend a few bucks.

Have a great day everyone.
Did it fit without any issues? I'm considering this battery since SOA will pay for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I, too, bought an Odyssey battery. Note that if you don't buy from an authorized dealer, they will not honor the (4 year) warranty. I bought at AutoZone as they are authorized and are all over the country. I bought the 34R-PC1500T. It's longer and shorter than OEM so I bought a battery platform from Odyssey that spaced it up to the OEM height. I did put a heat resistant wrap on mine since the OEM had one. The stock tie down hardware worked fine. The Ascent definitely uses a fair amount of juice when it's not running. I walk by mine with the fob in my pocket and the approach lights come on as they're supposed to but that's a 3+ amp drain til they time out. (Seems high if they're LEDs) I installed a USB power source that is hot all the time so my current draw when everything has timed out is around 35ma. Before everything timed out it was about 4 amps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I, too, bought an Odyssey battery. Note that if you don't buy from an authorized dealer, they will not honor the (4 year) warranty. I bought at AutoZone as they are authorized and are all over the country. I bought the 34R-PC1500T. It's longer and shorter than OEM so I bought a battery platform from Odyssey that spaced it up to the OEM height. I did put a heat resistant wrap on mine since the OEM had one. The stock tie down hardware worked fine. The Ascent definitely uses a fair amount of juice when it's not running. I walk by mine with the fob in my pocket and the approach lights come on as they're supposed to but that's a 3+ amp drain til they time out. (Seems high if they're LEDs) I installed a USB power source that is hot all the time so my current draw when everything has timed out is around 35ma. Before everything timed out it was about 4 amps.
I ordered directly from Odyssey and it should fit in just fine. It's coming next week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nothing like a bit of social isolation to apparently drain batteries. Subaru sits idle for 4 days, nothing left on, fobs in the house 30 feet away, and she’s dead as could be, need the key to unlock it. Subaru dealer tested the battery in the winter and claimed it was fine. I’m guessing from this thread they won’t be any help and I should look at one of the after market batteries.
Meanwhile, my wife’s 2011 Jetta has sat idle for almost a month and started right up and gets to be the booster.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Nothing like a bit of social isolation to apparently drain batteries. Subaru sits idle for 4 days, nothing left on, fobs in the house 30 feet away, and she’s dead as could be, need the key to unlock it. Subaru dealer tested the battery in the winter and claimed it was fine. I’m guessing from this thread they won’t be any help and I should look at one of the after market batteries.
Meanwhile, my wife’s 2011 Jetta has sat idle for almost a month and started right up and gets to be the booster.
others have had their batteries replaced under similar circumstances. you apparently need not replace the OEM with the same, but they will cover the cost.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Exactly same thing was happening to me. Subaru knows about. I bought the most expensive battery and they didn't even question it. The check arrived in less than a week and battery worked right out of the box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time with dealer. Call SOA and buy better replacement.
Nice, thanks. I was hoping there was some updates on this couple years old thread. They tested the battery a few months ago when it had some sluggish starts in the winter, but this is a different beast altogether.

What brand battery did you end up getting?
Edit- never mind, I see above you went with an Odyssey. I gather you are happy with it?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Mine was totally dead after two days. I found one of the rear dome lights was on. I had loaded and unloaded a bunch of stuff just prior and must have hit it. They turn on/off just pushing on them and there's no way to tell if they're on or off until all the doors are closed and the other lights have gone out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice, thanks. I was hoping there was some updates on this couple years old thread. They tested the battery a few months ago when it had some sluggish starts in the winter, but this is a different beast altogether.

Edit- never mind, I see above you went with an Odyssey. I gather you are happy with it?
So far no issues.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
43 Posts

For my previous Subaru, 08 Impreza. I replaced the OEM battery after nursing it for 7 years with occasional battery charging ( I have lots of stop and go driving in the city) the battery never gets charged fully. I finally replaced it with Canadian Tire's Eliminator AGM battery.

It was very good, as AGM batteries have a lower internal resistance, it means the alternator was able to keep it topped up better than the old OEM. I kept the car for another 4yrs before I traded in for the Ascent. So I can't tell you how what the longevity the replacement battery is, but it certainly starts better day in and day out for those years I've had it -- while performing regular battery maintenance charges every few months.

As for the Ascent, after taking ownership for a month or so, same stop and go traffic. The hard starts and low voltage condition appeared. I've been using my Noco Genius smart charger to recondition and maintain the battery every few months as well.

During my next service I had the battery load tested by the dealer, they said my battery was healthy.

When the OEM dies I will replace it with an AGM type battery. Old style flooded type batteries art not suitable for city stop and go traffic, or short trip driving when there's so much electrical loads on today's cars.

AGM batteries don't suffer from deep discharges as much as flooded batteries, which loses capacity due to sulphation of the electrical plates.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts