Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I’m getting my windows tinted tomorrow so I am gong to tell the guys to leave it off the charger (which they normally hook up) when they do the install due to having all the doors open. The battery will be more than fine as I’ve used these before. Amazing batteries. Optima’s use to be pretty good as well but then they sold out years ago their quality went to crap.

I’m expecting the hard starts to be fine if they were battery related which I believe they are. We will find out!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Odyssey 35-PC1400T update: had the windows tinted on Wed. Asked the Installers to leave doors open and interior lights on. Tint took a few hours and she fired up immediately. Starts have been quick and strong as expected. It’s overkill, however; I will never worry about battery drain issues again.

I will update if Ireceive another hard start but I expect they were battery related. If you don’t hear back from me on this thread, all is good.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Does anyone know if leaving the key fob near the vehicle (or inside) will cause measurable additional drain on the car battery? I imagine the car has some sort of RF receiver that remains on all the time to pick up an eventual remote key press, but that's got to be very low drain right? And then there must be a system to sense when the key fob is inside the car vs outside... and I would hope that is low drain as well.

But if people are finding that keeping the key away from the car is good for the car battery (hmm and maybe the key's battery too), I'd like to know that! My car is garaged, and the driveway is gated, so I'm not too worries about theft - and I'm more likely to lose the key in the house than in my car.

F.S.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Another update: Yesterday I cleaned my vehicle out extensively since I am getting ready to go on a long road trip. I left all of the doors and rear hatch open while cleaning it out for a few hours, and made sure the interior lights were on. She immediately fired up after the detail with the Odyssey battery as expected.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Odyssey 35-PC1400T update: had the windows tinted on Wed. Asked the Installers to leave doors open and interior lights on. Tint took a few hours and she fired up immediately. Starts have been quick and strong as expected. It’s overkill, however; I will never worry about battery drain issues again.

I will update if Ireceive another hard start but I expect they were battery related. If you don’t hear back from me on this thread, all is good.
Thanks for all the info on this battery. It's the one I'm looking at having installed. My tailgate needs to be open 4-8 hours on one or two days a week for my dog training. Drive home is an hour. Occasionally, I have several days of workshops where the drive afterwards would be only 15 mins. I've been using a battery disconnect switch each time I train b/c the first time my battery died, the dogs were locked in the back and I was alone in a remote training area. Do you think this battery can handle the 4-8 hrs once or twice a week, or occasionally several days in a row?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does anyone know if leaving the key fob near the vehicle (or inside) will cause measurable additional drain on the car battery? I imagine the car has some sort of RF receiver that remains on all the time to pick up an eventual remote key press, but that's got to be very low drain right? And then there must be a system to sense when the key fob is inside the car vs outside... and I would hope that is low drain as well.

But if people are finding that keeping the key away from the car is good for the car battery (hmm and maybe the key's battery too), I'd like to know that! My car is garaged, and the driveway is gated, so I'm not too worries about theft - and I'm more likely to lose the key in the house than in my car.

F.S.
I think the manual tells you to not store the key inside the car b/c of battery drain. You can get an RFID pouch to put it in from Amazon.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
I haven't investigated this yet as mine is only a few months old, but I wonder what's the largest battery that will fit the Ascent. Not purely CCA, but rather reserve capacity. Can a physically larger battery fit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
At 1450 miles, our Ascent Touring was dead in the water in our garage. Dash lights flickered and rear gate beeped in trying to start. Then nothing. I jump pack started it and then called the dealership. Taking it in, it was assumed it was the battery. But, the end result, and a ruined Saturday afternoon, was that an ECM update was needed. And I thought the car was supposed to update itself via wireless?!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I got a jump pack off Amazon, a 'Lightning Deal' for $50. My method-of-operation is to keep it on hand and the first time I need it, I start shopping for a replacement battery. From recommendations here, I'll be getting either an AGM or a cheapo LeadAcid from Walmart. (Depending on how close it is to replacing the car; I trade in every 4 years)

Here's the jump pack I got;

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
At 1450 miles, our Ascent Touring was dead in the water in our garage. Dash lights flickered and rear gate beeped in trying to start. Then nothing. I jump pack started it and then called the dealership. Taking it in, it was assumed it was the battery. But, the end result, and a ruined Saturday afternoon, was that an ECM update was needed. And I thought the car was supposed to update itself via wireless?!
No ECM or TCM or BCM or other vehicle system modules are updated via OTA.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've had zero issues since I replaced the Subaru OE battery with an EverStart MAX. I also always now carry a lithium jump starter. These are great. For an excellent review on them see this:

I purchased the TopVision unit which is currently 20% off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just last week had a similar issue. I was angry and panicked a bit at first cause I couldn't get what could possibly go wrong but then I just turned brains on. I observed a bit and later just figured out that that's just because I hadn't used my car for a long time (nearly two months). That happened earlier but with another and way older car then now (counting that my actual car is not a fresh one either) and I almost forgot about the possibility of such a turn of things. I found a pick of good starters and wanted immediately buy first on that short list but my bro stopped me and recommended to google more or to ask opinions.
So here am I. What do you say?

P.S. I remember how to start the car with a dead battery using another car that is functioning just fine, but I don't want to do it ever again. o_O

·
Registered
851 Posts
Geeze, I've been jumping between vehicles for years. Way more in the distant impoverished past than in recent history. It's really no big deal (not withstanding all the safety caveats). Half the fun is trying to find somebody to bum a jump off of. Last time it happened to me was in my RX350 waiting in the cellphone lot at an airport for a delayed flight. My wife finally called saying she landed and when I tried to start the car, nope. With all the lights around I forgot the my headlights stayed on until the door was opened so it drained my 6 year old battery. I had cables but had to ask a half doz fellow cellphone lotters before finding one that acquiesced to jumping me. We're now best friends! (just kidding)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Geeze, I've been jumping between vehicles for years. Way more in the distant impoverished past than in recent history. It's really no big deal (not withstanding all the safety caveats). Half the fun is trying to find somebody to bum a jump off of. Last time it happened to me was in my RX350 waiting in the cellphone lot at an airport for a delayed flight. My wife finally called saying she landed and when I tried to start the car, nope. With all the lights around I forgot the my headlights stayed on until the door was opened so it drained my 6 year old battery. I had cables but had to ask a half doz fellow cellphone lotters before finding one that acquiesced to jumping me. We're now best friends! (just kidding)
This is the 21st century, no need to bum a jump off anyone anymore. Simply get a lithium jump starter. They're less than $100, they're quite small and easily fit in the storage area, they're dependable, and a single charge lasts up to a year. They're much easier to store and use than jumper cables. And best of all, they work great. No one who owns a car should be without one. Put one on your Christmas list.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yep. You made that point earlier pretty well, I think. My counterpoint is there's no need to get a lithium jump starter when there're plenty of batteries in cars I can bum a jump off of using an pair of passive inert jumper cables that have sat innocuously in my vehicles for ~20 years.

Of course this was prior to getting an Ascent, which I hope proves to require no more frequent need of these than I've had in the past.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
It is never a good idea to let a vehicle sit for a long time without being used. If you know you will not be driving it, have someone else periodically drive it for a few miles. I also keep a battery jumper (interstate pwr7020) in my vehicle along with HD jumper cables..

41 - 60 of 93 Posts