Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Ascent with about 4,000 miles on it. Three mornings since buying it last November I have had a dead battery in the morning. Get it jumped off and eveything seems normal. One time found the tailgate open and thought this could have caused it.
I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, there are a notable amount of battery failures. I would take it to the dealership to have it tested, and replaced under warranty if needed. A lot of folks are replacing their Subaru batteries with aftermarket batteries with a more robust CCA (cold cranking amps) number. Some are buying AGM type batteries (absorbent glass mat) which are superior & longer-lasting (but more expensive, but like anything else can be found on sale). The rear hatch is an electricity vampire if left open even for short periods, and has been the cause for many dead batteries. There is much on this subject as the person above was eluding to if you choose to use the search option above and search battery or dead battery. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2020 with around 2600 miles on it.

I've had 2 episodes of long-cranking, both times the engine did start without any error codes. It wasn't very cold nor had been sitting an extended time either time it happened.

Brought to the dealer today to have them check the battery. It failed their testing, had an "internal" issue. I didn't get more info than that. They replaced it.

The person checking me out asked if I keep it locked. She said that keeping it locked will help prevent battery drain?

Any opinions on that? It lives in a garage at home, so I don't keep it locked. The key fob is at least 20 feet away, through a door.

·
Registered
2020 Touring
5 Posts
I have a 2020 with around 2600 miles on it.

I've had 2 episodes of long-cranking, both times the engine did start without any error codes. It wasn't very cold nor had been sitting an extended time either time it happened.

Brought to the dealer today to have them check the battery. It failed their testing, had an "internal" issue. I didn't get more info than that. They replaced it.

The person checking me out asked if I keep it locked. She said that keeping it locked will help prevent battery drain?

Any opinions on that? It lives in a garage at home, so I don't keep it locked. The key fob is at least 20 feet away, through a door.

.... Have you had any more issues with the battery?

I just had to jump start mine (2K miles) after not being used for three days. I don't want to be dealing with battery issues with a new car and would take it back to the dealer ASAP if need be.

Also, I do keep the car unlocked inside the garage and the key is just thru the door in the house (Maybe 8 feet away)

Thanks.

DZ

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cranking the engine started taking longer and longer, and a few times almost seemed like it would not crank, then it would catch. A few times all the lights and icons on the dash were on, and sometimes I'd press the button to stop the engine, and nothing happened. When I took it in for the 6000 mile checkup, they found it had a bad cell in the battery, and replaced it. Dealership said they have replaced a LOT of Ascent batteries...

·
Registered
2020 Touring
5 Posts
I took my Ascent to the dealer yesterday. As expected, I had to jump start it because it was completely dead. No lights at all.
It started right away and after driving it for 32 miles to the dealer, the battery fully charged. The dealer tested it and they claim battery is good. However, they found "a slow electrical drain" I think he also called it a "ghost drain"
They kept the car to try to find the problem and I took a loaner.
What are the chances that they come back and said everything is OK? Obviously it is not OK.
We will see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts