Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the battery go completely dead 3 times since buying the 2019 Ascent Touring in March 2019. When it goes dead it is so dead that the trickle charger will not work, so I have to jumpstart it then trickle charge. Nothing has been left on or open. I have noticed at various times when I have been in the garage hours after turning off the car I will hear a noise from the rear hatch area. Then it will go off. Opening and closing the hatch does not change the sound. Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the noise and the battery failure.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
114 Posts
I think you're hearing the fuel system pressure check.

Many info the forum will suggest you get an AGM replacement battery and the largest reserve capacity you can find. OEM flooded type battery is too weak for all the electronics we have and stop and go nor short trip driving doesn't help either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're hearing the fuel system pressure check.

Many info the forum will suggest you get an AGM replacement battery and the largest reserve capacity you can find. OEM flooded type battery is too weak for all the electronics we have and stop and go nor short trip driving doesn't help either.
I think that was mentioned on one of the previous battery failures. My problem is that the battery does not go down to 11V or anywhere between 11V and 12V but down to 9V or 6V where the trickle charger will not charge. That seems to indicate active discharge versus low discharge to point that would prevent starting. I am taking it in tomorrow and leaving it overnight so will see what they come up with.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I think that was mentioned on one of the previous battery failures. My problem is that the battery does not go down to 11V or anywhere between 11V and 12V but down to 9V or 6V where the trickle charger will not charge. That seems to indicate active discharge versus low discharge to point that would prevent starting. I am taking it in tomorrow and leaving it overnight so will see what they come up with.
report to dealer and SOA and ask SOA to reimburse you for buying a battery. do not simply replace with OEM battery. Have them complete the gate controller replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
report to dealer and SOA and ask SOA to reimburse you for buying a battery. do not simply replace with OEM battery. Have them complete the gate controller replacement.
Sounds like a good idea, thank you. Will bring up tomorrow. Had not heard gate controller mentioned before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the bulletin concerning the PRG control module, will take info to dealer. Had read many posts about battery drainage when gate up for extended periods of time, but mine has occurred with gate down. The mention of dark drain may pertain. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Found the bulletin concerning the PRG control module, will take info to dealer. Had read many posts about battery drainage when gate up for extended periods of time, but mine has occurred with gate down. The mention of dark drain may pertain. Thanks again

remember to talk with SOA about battery reimbursement so you can install a more robust battery than the OEM.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As you mentioned "Rear hatch sometimes produces noise a few hours after car turned off."
I had similar noise several times (and I suspect this could be the reason of several of my dead battery cases) . From my observation, the hatch makes 3 distinct sounds:
1. Motor closing the gate.
2. Motor that pulls the hatch when it locks
3. Motor that locks.

So sometimes after turning on ignition I heard the 3rd sound from the rear gate. Was this teh sound you heard?
I suspect that initially the gate did not close properly. but I cannot explain the root cause...

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
What kind of charger do you have? I like this one I have so far. I haven’t had to use it on my Ascent knock on wood but I have drained my bimmer’s battery down to almost nothing. After charging overnight it starts up the next day. It’s only quirk is it automatically selects whether it’s charging a 6v or 12v battery. If your 12v battery is discharged well below 6v it will only charge up to 6v until you disconnect and reconnect it. Good for at home, not good for emergencies!

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
As you mentioned "Rear hatch sometimes produces noise a few hours after car turned off."
I had similar noise several times (and I suspect this could be the reason of several of my dead battery cases) . From my observation, the hatch makes 3 distinct sounds:
3. Motor that locks.

So sometimes after turning on ignition I heard the 3rd sound from the rear gate. Was this teh sound you heard?
I suspect that initially the gate did not close properly. but I cannot explain the root cause...
I am pretty sure it's the evap leak system. Some of its sounds are similar to the rear hatch though. Sounds a lot like #2 and #3 at times.

·
Registered
684 Posts
NOCO chargers have "Force mode" and cant charge Battery from 0 volt, price stars from $30 ...

BTW if oem Battery down to 11.6 it still starts our car ...

P.S. Cars really needs "5 AMP like GENIUS5 " charger but Maintainer only 2 amp working out fine for me ... and 1 amp is on my lawnmower and kids toys

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3. Motor that locks.

Hard to describe the sound, it lasted for a relatively long time, 10 or more minutes. was constant Dealer thought it might be a resetting / updating but that would only last a minute or so. Left car at dealer, he was not receptive to a OEM battery. May have to contact SOA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of charger do you have? I like this one I have so far. I haven’t had to use it on my Ascent knock on wood but I have drained my bimmer’s battery down to almost nothing. After charging overnight it starts up the next day. It’s only quirk is it automatically selects whether it’s charging a 6v or 12v battery. If your 12v battery is discharged well below 6v it will only charge up to 6v until you disconnect and reconnect it. Good for at home, not good for emergencies!
I have a Battery Tender Junior. Works quite well, use it on our Roadtrek Motor home as well as the Subaru. The literature with the charger seems to indicate it is a safety issue not to charge when battery is so discharged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just heard from the Dealer. They are replacing the battery with a heavier duty battery, based on recommendations from SOA for specific model/vehicles. Am very pleased.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
as well as the new controller for the hatch that is covered under a Technical Service Bulletin. There is a known parasitic battery drain that Subaru won’t acknowledge.
I'm sorry, I don't understand this. So, if Subaru acknowledged the parasitic drain caused by some versions of the gate controller, for some people, and put it in writing, in a TSB, and created a fix, and are offering that for free...

...how exactly is that not acknowledging it?

·
Registered
455 Posts
FWIW, I had my dealer evaluate my 2019 for the PRG controller. I gave them the TSB number, told them my concerns, and thought it was a done deal and I'd get the new controller. Turns out they have to do a test to see if your controller is actually causing issues. Mine apparently isn't. They tested the battery and it was good (490CCA and 12.62V IIRC) but they replaced it with a new one anyway just as a precaution.

It's curious to me that some controllers may be an issue and some may not. They're all the same part number and programmed the same. ???

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
@djrussell I forget... what year and trim level do you have, and what options do you have that may have anything to do with electronics? (eg: ambient footwell lighting, upgraded amp, a package that comes with upgraded sound system, etc)

I've been trying to find out if there's a pattern.

The other thing that I think may be at issue is that a timeout test isn't a part of the current TSB.

·
Registered
455 Posts
2019 Premium. March 2019 build date. I think I got this convenience package.
Power Rear Gate with height memory
Keyless Access with Push-Button Start
Auto-dimming rearview compass mirror with HomeLink®
Reverse Automatic Braking

I've done LED headlights and interior bulbs also. No upgraded stereo stuff.

I thought the same about the timeout test and pressed the issue. The service advisor insisted he wanted to replace the controller but had to test it first or he may get charged back from Subaru. He also thought my Tekonsha P3 was causing the cars brakes to drag though so... 🤦‍♂️. I had to explain how trailer brakes / controllers work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Adding here in case useful. . Mine is a 2019 Touring. Has 3 dead batteries last fall with gate up. Had one this week with no gate uo, no keys in car, just cold weather and interestingly we had jist remote started (and it started) but we took to long to get out there and it shut off (as expected) but would not start again. I had to jump it. I brought it in for this months ago after the gate triggered a dead batter they didn’t check or replace part according to the paperwork, just tested battery battery). Appears they did not check for TSB. just said battery tested ok!

Yesterday, I Brought it to Groove Subaru in Denver after my complaints they’re updating the part per TSB. They were reluctant to acknowledge the TSB and said their techs would look. They latched on to my inquiry about a heavier duty battery and said for it to be a warranty issue the battery would have to show failure, likely not it....etc.

I am glad the gate issue is solved but plan to write SOA for battery replacement reimbursement for something more heavy duty. Anyone have a template I can use that worked for them to get reimbursed? I’ve heard mixed successes on the FB group about trying to get reimbursed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.