Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While most here won't need a new battery for your Ascent for a while, you might need one for another vehicle that you own :) Here's a comparison/testing video from a guy with a YouTube channel called "Project Farm". He does a nice job and puts out some very useful testing and comparison videos.

·
Registered
746 Posts
While most here won't need a new battery for your Ascent for a while, you might need one for another vehicle that you own :) Here's a comparison/testing video from a guy with a YouTube channel called "Project Farm". He does a nice job and puts out some very useful testing and comparison videos.
This guy is great, I highly recommend his YouTube channel for a wealth of information and (mostly) excellent testing. He is getting better as he gains more experience and he's now the second source I look to for excellent unbiased testing (CR is still #1 by far).

After watching this video I'm glad I selected the Everstart for my Ascent over the more expensive batteries.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This guy is great, I highly recommend his YouTube channel for a wealth of information and (mostly) excellent testing. He is getting better as he gains more experience and he's now the second source I look to for excellent unbiased testing (CR is still #1 by far).

After watching this video I'm glad I selected the Everstart for my Ascent over the more expensive batteries.
I saw a video of his testing those jump start lithium batteries. One of those turned out to be able to even start a diesel truck! I got it on sale for under $70 and have used it twice to start my diesel tractor. Fits perfect in the Ascent rear passenger little storage area like a glove.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I saw a video of his testing those jump start lithium batteries. One of those turned out to be able to even start a diesel truck! I got it on sale for under $70 and have used it twice to start my diesel tractor. Fits perfect in the Ascent rear passenger little storage area like a glove.
I purchased one too after viewing his video and I also used it to successfully start my tractor after I needed it during a snowstorm and found the battery dead. Worked great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Comparing 27 series batteries with 34 series batteries without normalizing the data is highly misleading.

lower internal resistance allows the battery to not only charge quicker, but also to dump energy quicker. Especially in cold weather. The tester he used doesn't actually measure amperage at all it just estimates it based on other factors that can't really provide an actual real world comparison between AGM and flooded batteries.

Another factor is the charging test. To test charging of batteries with fixed low amperage charger, negates the advantage of AGM batteries. AGM batteries can handle significantly more charge amperage without damaging the battery.

Other factors such as ability to recover from deep discharge, and greater ability to survive in excessively heat environments, which also favor AGM batteries, were not even considered.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Comparing 27 series batteries with 34 series batteries without normalizing the data is highly misleading.

lower internal resistance allows the battery to not only charge quicker, but also to dump energy quicker. Especially in cold weather. The tester he used doesn't actually measure amperage at all it just estimates it based on other factors that can't really provide an actual real world comparison between AGM and flooded batteries.

Another factor is the charging test. To test charging of batteries with fixed low amperage charger, negates the advantage of AGM batteries. AGM batteries can handle significantly more charge amperage without damaging the battery.

Other factors such as ability to recover from deep discharge, and greater ability to survive in excessively heat environments, which also favor AGM batteries, were not even considered.
Your comments are kind of wasted here, you should send these to him, he openly and graciously seeks comments and criticisms so that he can improve his testing skills. He's not perfect but he gets better as time goes on due to such feedback. You can post publically directly on his YouTube pages in the comments section or privately via his YouTube email. He accepts and encourages both.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Your comments are kind of wasted here...
Not IMO. It would seem to me that if you're interested in the getting the best battery value, it explains why you might not obliviously follow the reviewers recommendations and seek additional information. I agree that the reviewer seems to be honest and disinterested and would probably welcome the input.

·
Registered
746 Posts
...It would seem to me that if you're interested in the getting the best battery value, it explains why you might not obliviously follow the reviewers recommendations and seek additional information...
There are precious few unbiased, technically based (i.e non-opinion based) tests done anywhere for most products and few reviews people can fully understand and trust. So this guy's channel is going to be an obvious draw for them and they're going to take his recommendations for better or worse. He does make mistakes, but for the most part, his testing and recommendations are pretty good. Not perfect, but good.

Most people don't know much about battery testing and probably don't understand what you're saying. As an engineer, I do, and your comments are indeed correct and noteworthy, but he's offering answers and, in contrast, you're raising more questions. That just confuses people more rather than offering them solutions.

So all I'm saying is that you're comments are better served helping him become a better tester than here. I'm not saying you shouldn't post such comments here, that's fine, but please, also let him know. He's taking on a valuable service to many by testing products and producing videos, something most of us would not take the time or expense to do, so anything we can do to help him is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts