Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to add info on my ascent. I’ve had several issues with my car. Transmission was replaced at 6k miles and is bad in the shop for creaking sounds from the front. I was just told that I have a leaking ball joint in the front passenger side. Dealership has contacted Subaru since the joint is damaged. Been dealing with this issue for months. Glad the problem has been found but I’ve been in a loaner for almost two months for various issues. Giving up on this car. If anyone else is having problems going over bumps or creaking/knocking when coming to a stop and turning, it could be the ball joints.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong,but I don’t think ball joints leak.Are you talking about the CV joint?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct me if I’m wrong,but I don’t think ball joints leak.Are you talking about the CV joint?
Those are the exact words that came from the dealership. He said, “We found this ball joint leaking”. I don’t anything about cars. I should be able to trust my local Subaru dealership. They even included a picture. I will try and post it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
There are upper and lower ball joints which utilizes rubber bushings then attached by nut & bolts to the rest of the moving parts(suspension).
If possible post pics .

·
Registered
685 Posts
1st off, the Ascent has one lower ball joint ONLY in the front. The only rubber component in a ball joint is the grease/debris boot. Ball joints themselves are a metal ball and socket. So imagine what a metal-on-metal rotating connection is like when they are not lubricated. Creaking and grinding. I have had similar issues with balljoints, brand new ones from Mevotech. So it sounds like a parts supplier issue.

I would also suggest that anyone having creaking or popping issues in the front to have the ball joints inspected.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Ball joints are supposed be assembled with grease. Sealed units like what come stock, are then packed with grease and then sealed. The ball and socket joint has channels built into it. When it moves around, grease is picked up from the "packed boot" area and it moves through the channels and keeps the joint lubricated.

Back in the day, when there were full service stations. They offered gas-n-lube. That was a chassis lube, they pumped grease into all of the suspension ball joints until the old grease pumped out past the seal. Then it was cleaned off and you were good for another 2000 miles. Sealed joints don't the maintenance regimen. However, if the seal is compromised, a ball joint will leak grease. Or they will leak out the water that got into them due to a compromised seal.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ball joints are supposed be be assembled with grease. Sealed units like what come stock, are then pumped with grease. The ball and socket joint has channels built into it. When it moves around, grease is picked up from the "packed boot" area and it moves through the channels and keeps the joint lubricated.

Back in the day, when there were full service stations. They offered gas-n-lube. That was a chassis lube, they pumped grease into all of the suspension ball joints until the old grease pumped out past the seal. Then it was cleaned off and you were good for another 2000 miles. Sealed joints don't the maintenance regimen. However, the seal is compromised, a ball joint will leak grease. Or they will leak out the water that got into them due to a compromised seal.
In the OP’s case it should’ve been explained to him like you posted.
I should’ve been more clearer in my response.
Thank you traildogck for clarifying.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ball joints leak from age or suspension mods, or even poor design. There’s grease inside the rubber boot.
Ball joints leak from age or suspension mods, or even poor design. There’s grease inside the rubber boot.
Right,the Subaru tech should’ve been more specific in his findings.It’s not the physical ball joint but the rubber boot containing the grease when compromised can leak as you mentioned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to add info on my ascent. I’ve had several issues with my car. Transmission was replaced at 6k miles and is bad in the shop for creaking sounds from the front. I was just told that I have a leaking ball joint in the front passenger side. Dealership has contacted Subaru since the joint is damaged. Been dealing with this issue for months. Glad the problem has been found but I’ve been in a loaner for almost two months for various issues. Giving up on this car. If anyone else is having problems going over bumps or creaking/knocking when coming to a stop and turning, it could be the ball joints.
Just wanted to update...the problem ended up being a warped strut as well. It was replaced a month after the broken ball joint. As luck would have it, the car is again at the dealership with another faulty strut.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just purchased my Ascent last week. I have noticed a slight grind at times when I break. Maybe I should have it checked. There are about 200 miles on it now. The explanation here was helpful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.