Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have towed an old, small, single axle trailer travel trailer, two bunk house travel trailers and a two place motorcycle trailer. I always greased the ball on the ball mount.
When I purchased my Apex Nano 187RB, from Haylett RV in May, 2019, there was no grease on the ball when they hooked it up and I brought it home. I wondered about that. Today, I ran across this video.

It made me wonder why no one brought up the topic of greasing the ball when I purchased my trailer.

I'm going to do it.

In the olden days, when I wore shorts, I had a tendency to bump my knee against the hitch ball, while most likely politically incorrect today, my family members called me Chief Black Knee. Now I guess it will be just my jeans getting the black knees.

What I am curious about is who is greasing their hitch balls today? It is just a topic that I've not seen mentioned on here before.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I've always greased my trailer ball. I have ball covers for when the trailer is off but I'm leaving the hitch in place to prevent "black knee".

For a while they were selling "greaseless" balls, which had a teflon like plastic top to the ball. It worked very well and stayed clean, but they must've had some problems as they are no longer made as far as I can tell. I still have the one I use for my pop-up and it is nice.

Maybe people were bumping it on the trailer hitch and then it cracks or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.