Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so my wife had a little mishap and badly dented the rear driver side door on our Touring model. I am looking for advice on the best and most economical way to get this fixed. First here is some footage of the damage:

So I’m thinking the door has to be replaced right? Is this the correct part (left side door shell)

And what is the best place to buy it? Should I just order from my local dealer?

Once ordered I will see how easy it is to replace myself and and then take somewhere to be painted.

My wife went to a local body shop and was quoted $2,053 for a replacement door, paint and labor... but that seems a little excessive to me.
You guys have any guidance/ideas on how to proceed?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If you have it repaired at a body shop, figure on 50% for parts and 50% for labor. That quote seems pretty fair. You could purchase the door and do all the labor on the installation, but the paint job alone will cost you nearly $800 - $1000. I would let them handle it and you will have a paint/labor warranty for as long as you own the vehicle.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a hard time really seeing the extent of the damage there, based on your video. To me, it actually does not look that bad? I have a lot of experience using PDR or Paintless Dent Repair. Some of these guys are just amazing. Check into this before doing anything else. They all have different levels of experience and don't do the same work, so one guy might say he can't do anything or he can only improve it, while another may say they can or they can get it to 90%, etc. - so talk to a few guys. In the end, you may only have to buy a trim piece or two. And many scratches or scuffs can be easily repaired. Most will ask you to send a few pictures. Many are mobile and will come to your home or office, while others have shops they work out of. Just Google PDR in your area, or use Yelp.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
This is a brand new car, you must have collision/comp insurance. Wouldn't that cover it? This is what insurance is for.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Sorry about your mishap.

If you buy the door and put it in yourself and then take it to the body shop. The first thing they will do is remove the door and strip it down. Basically they will have to undo most of your work and you won’t save very much. Also they probably won’t warranty the job because they did not supply the parts. That is if the body shop will even take the job after you switch out the door. Many body shops don’t want to fix someone else’s work and may even charge you more at that point.

If you do insist on hanging the door yourself be sure and talk to the body shop you plan to use and tell them your plan and get their advice on where you can save money and where you would make it more costly for them to take over.

PS $2053 sounds like a bargain for the work involved. You can also get more quotes.

Good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a brand new car, you must have collision/comp insurance. Wouldn't that cover it? This is what insurance is for.
yeah, I was trying to explore all options, if I could avoid using my insurance I would... But for a 2K job I’ll definitely use it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
That kind of damage on most vehicles today requires replacement of the door. They can't just replace the skin or if they can, the labor involved far exceeds the hours required to just replace the whole thing and paint-match, etc. I had similar damage to the passenger side rear door of the MY12 Grand Cherokee that I drove prior to my Ascent. The cost to replace was pretty much the same as you were quoted... $2K

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
yeah, I was trying to explore all options, if I could avoid using my insurance I would... But for a 2K job I’ll definitely use it.
I guess it depends upon how high your insurance deductible is. If my deductible were $1000, I would not use insurance because you get the double whammy of paying the deductible and raising your premiums.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I guess it depends upon how high your insurance deductible is. If my deductible were $1000, I would not use insurance because you get the double whammy of paying the deductible and raising your premiums.
And that, in turn, depends upon if your insurance policy has accident forgiveness and if the claim is a comprehensive or collision claim. If you don't use your insurance when you need it, you get the double whammy of paying for insurance and then not using it for what you purchased it for.

The very few times a homeowner or auto insurance company raised my rate due to a claim, I simply dropped them and went with someone else for less. If you have an excellent credit rating and don't have a lot of excess claims, there are plenty of insurance companies who want your business, there is no need to kowtow to any one insurance company. This is why accident forgiveness plans are now prevalent and why rates are not usually raised with only one or two claims.

If you purchase insurance via a good independent Insurance Agency rather than directly, they will guide you on this. I find my Insurance Agency is invaluable, they always find me lower rates then I can find myself online for all the insurance I need, and they guide me as to what to do when I need to file a claim. All this for no charge.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
@pro10is , I agree with you completely. An independent insurance broker is the best way to go. They can shop your insurance every two or three years to make sure you are getting the best rates/coverage.

I am not sure how much money "accident forgiveness" actually adds to the cost of the insurance policy, but I am pretty sure they are not losing money on this gimmick.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Accident forgiveness locks you into the insurer longer. If they “forgive” a claim by not raising your rates, another insurer may not be as forgiving.
In the situation with this door, you’d likely only pay your deductible, and it might not count against you, but may erase any future accident forgiveness. But if you make too many claims, even for things like windshields, they can raise your rate based on risk factors.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Your premiums won't necessarily go up. Talk to your insurance agent and discuss it with them. My wife decided to shovel snow off her car this past winter. Every single body panel (including roof) had scratches. The panels that couldn't be buffed out needed repainted. Final bill was just over $4k. Covered under comprehensive with a $500 deductible and rates did not go up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.