Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve had our Ascent for a week now, when I’m on the highway I can hear wind noise coming from the passenger side of the moonroof. Last night I took some photos and there is definitely a bad seal on the passenger side. Guess I’ll be calling the dealer and taking it in to have them look at it ?. First photo is the driver side, second is the passenger side. Anyone else experience this with their moonroof?

I’d rather the dealer didn’t have to take it apart to replace the seal but I don’t want it to leak down the road.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
They look different in the pics. I have not noticed any wind noise at all. Any leaking?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our Touring model has been back twice for sunroof wind noise. Now dealing with Subaru of America, but just received email saying it’s not defective. We’re weighing our options on how to proceed. We like the vehicle, but the wind noise (front-left corner) is distracting.

Any advice?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Our Touring model has been back twice for sunroof wind noise. Now dealing with Subaru of America, but just received email saying it’s not defective. We’re weighing our options on how to proceed. We like the vehicle, but the wind noise (front-left corner) is distracting.

Any advice?

Have you driven other Ascents to make sure it sounds different?

When my Ascent came it, the front glass had a crack in the bottom sheet. It was super quiet while I drove it waiting for the replacement to come in. At first I noticed the replacement was louder but I don't even notice now.

·
Registered
8 Posts

When my Ascent came it, the front glass had a crack in the bottom sheet. It was super quiet while I drove it waiting for the replacement to come in. At first I noticed the replacement was louder but I don't even notice now.
Jason,

We tried to drive a sunroof-equipped model, but the dealer didn’t have one. We’ll try again.

The reason SofA said the vehicle is OK is because the service manager said the noise is normal—his opinion, but not ours. When the wipers are used, the noise is worse as the wiper passes the top of its arc (driver side).

Very disappointed—we’ve purchased six vehicles from this dealer. Feel like we have a sub-par car. You can poke your finger between the metal of the roof and the gasket.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Jason,

We tried to drive a sunroof-equipped model, but the dealer didn’t have one. We’ll try again.

The reason SofA said the vehicle is OK is because the service manager said the noise is normal—his opinion, but not ours. When the wipers are used, the noise is worse as the wiper passes the top of its arc (driver side).

Very disappointed—we’ve purchased six vehicles from this dealer. Feel like we have a sub-par car. You can poke your finger between the metal of the roof and the gasket.
If it were me and I was having to prove my point, I would take more detailed photos comparing the sides, something to give perspective.

And then I would try and get a really good audio or video example of the noise in all conditions. And then I'd go back to SoA with the evidence.

That said though, I think the noise would have to be pretty obvious to anyone watching so the dealer or SoA couldn't just say it's normal...

Post the video here too if you don't mind, I'd like to hear what's happening.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The seal is not meant to be water tight. They all will let a little moisture through the cracks, but it will direct it down the A and D pillars. You don't have anything to worry about.
I know they’re not meant to be water tight and they have drains but every other car with a sunroof I’ve owned hasn’t has this kind of wind noise unless I have the sunroof open.

Also it only happens at highway speeds so 45+. I didn’t hear it on either of the sunroof equipped models we test drove so I don’t know if this is normal or not. Just seems odd is all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: dropped our Ascent off last night and got an 18 Forester as a loaner. Called the dealer at 4 pm today asking for an update. After waiting on hold for 10 minutes and being transferred several times (their phone system is horrible, not the first time I’ve had issues there) the service advisor tells me the tech just drove my car and is looking at it now and they won’t have it done today. I wanted to say you’ve had it all day and he just drove it? They didn’t even really need to drive it, all they needed to do was look at the weather stripping and they could see it’s not right. Another day with the Forester tomorrow I guess... I’m grateful for the loaner but hoping to get our Ascent back ASAP. I’ll post an update when I hear back from the dealer tomorrow.

Reactions: Alan Alonzo

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the LTD opt 23..had to have sunroof?. Have no issues. Sorry to hear you are.
Glad to hear you're not having any issues. I had to have the sunroof too :tango_face_wink:!

The dealer called me back this morning and they said that they heard the wind noise coming from the sunroof and they have ordered a replacement gasket for it. I was very relieved to hear this and that I wouldn't have to fight with them to get it replaced. The only downside is that the part is on back order and they don't know when it will come in yet. The dealer told me I could keep the Forester loaner as long as I wanted, but I told them I would come back and get my Ascent today. I'll bring it back when they call and let me know the part has come in, but for now I'm so happy to have my Ascent back! :smile:

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
965 Posts
I wanted to say you’ve had it all day and he just drove it?
Even with our shop, that can happen. You drop a car off and unless the service writers specify a pick-up time, the shop foreman starts assigning cars to whoever is trained and qualified to fix the initial complaint. You don't want an oil change tech to be trying to figure out a sunroof gasket issue. And if the tech that was assigned the problem had three or four cars ahead of yours ... stuff takes time, after all, especially since the guys who know how to do the hard stuff are the ones who get assigned the hard stuff. In our shop, if an Ascent comes in with a problem, there's only two guys that get those.

Not making excuses for them, but I mean, we have 16 bays and 10 techs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wanted to say you’ve had it all day and he just drove it?
Even with our shop, that can happen. You drop a car off and unless the service writers specify a pick-up time, the shop foreman starts assigning cars to whoever is trained and qualified to fix the initial complaint. You don't want an oil change tech to be trying to figure out a sunroof gasket issue. And if the tech that was assigned the problem had three or four cars ahead of yours ... stuff takes time, after all, especially since the guys who know how to do the hard stuff are the ones who get assigned the hard stuff. In our shop, if an Ascent comes in with a problem, there's only two guys that get those.

Not making excuses for them, but I mean, we have 16 bays and 10 techs.
Thanks, Carl I appreciate the explanation. I was mostly just frustrated with their phone system and getting bounced around several times which has happened before. I didn’t give them a pickup time but I had hoped to hear before 4, that’s all. I’m sure it’s the same way at this dealer, I’ve never taken a car there for service before so I didn’t know what to expect. I appreciate that the best techs get the hard stuff and he was taking his time looking at it. That means it will get done right the first time and I won’t have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Sometimes if I'm in a time crunch, I ask them to have it done for a noon pickup. My local service place has never let me down yet on that... drop off the night before, and it's usually done around 11.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have a sunroof, a few weeks ago I noticed the wind noise for the first time. I opened the sunroof all the way and noticed that the gasket in front had inched up quite a bit. It has now happened a few times and I have my daughter standup on the seat and press down all the way around. She thinks it is fun but I am taking it in this week along with a litany of other issues. These should probably be glued down.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
We have a sunroof, a few weeks ago I noticed the wind noise for the first time. I opened the sunroof all the way and noticed that the gasket in front had inched up quite a bit. It has now happened a few times and I have my daughter standup on the seat and press down all the way around. She thinks it is fun but I am taking it in this week along with a litany of other issues. These should probably be glued down.
You're having a lot of interesting problems with your Ascent Touring. That's not normal. I'd bring it in and have all of these problems you've noted addressed all at once.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We’ve had our Ascent for a week now, when I’m on the highway I can hear wind noise coming from the passenger side of the moonroof. Last night I took some photos and there is definitely a bad seal on the passenger side. Guess I’ll be calling the dealer and taking it in to have them look at it ?. First photo is the driver side, second is the passenger side. Anyone else experience this with their moonroof?

I’d rather the dealer didn’t have to take it apart to replace the seal but I don’t want it to leak down the road.

Thanks!
Have you had any success dealing with this? I posted in another thread that I feel like there's a fair amount of wind noise at freeway speeds unless I close the moonroof shade and I wonder if that's just how it is having such a large piece of glass overhead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you had any success dealing with this? I posted in another thread that I feel like there's a fair amount of wind noise at freeway speeds unless I close the moonroof shade and I wonder if that's just how it is having such a large piece of glass overhead.
Richardrocks,

Subaru of America gave up on the issue, but our local dealer did not. The problem was the window was not pushed forward enough in the front left corner where the noise was coming from. All the adjustments up to that point were for up and down and that did not fix the problem.

CAVUBob

·
Registered
86 Posts
Richardrocks,

Subaru of America gave up on the issue, but our local dealer did not. The problem was the window was not pushed forward enough in the front left corner where the noise was coming from. All the adjustments up to that point were for up and down and that did not fix the problem.

CAVUBob
I printed and showed the service guy your comment, which is helpful. They had to order a part for another issue, so they're going to look at the moonroof when that repair takes place. There are a few different discussions on this, so I'll post here as well. Super Moderator Robert thinks it looks just fine.

--
On a long walk with the dog, I glanced at every sunroof I could spot, and noticed that 98% of them close up extremely snug with minimal stripping necessary. My Impreza is like this too... I don't think think I'd be able to insert a toothpick. On the Ascent, however, the stripping appears quite bulky comparatively, especially around the corners where I can insert a finger. I wonder if this causes more noticeable wind noise or just how it's designed. Overall, the moonroof does not close up as tightly as the vast majority of others cars it seems.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts