Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could have sworn someone else reported this already, but I can't find it now... I have a bad crease forming on the driver's seat cushion leather. It seems like the leather is too soft? I didn't have this issue on my Forester XT Touring the entire time I owned it. Seems like a defect to me and unacceptable on the Touring trim. Anyone else seeing this? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I could have sworn someone else reported this already, but I can't find it now... I have a bad crease forming on the driver's seat cushion leather. It seems like the leather is too soft? I didn't have this issue on my Forester XT Touring the entire time I owned it. Seems like a defect to me and unacceptable on the Touring trim. Anyone else seeing this? Thanks
That's unfortunate and that kind of thing should only be acceptable on lower trims. :smile:

Seriously though, I don't know if the dealer can do anything (may attempt a fix?). I do not have any creasing on my Limited seats. Are the Touring seats made with softer leather?

Maybe a DIY fix?
https://www.carsdirect.com/car-maintenance/how-to-get-creases-out-of-a-leather-car-seat

A similar issue from a Tesla driver may provide some insight:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/leather-wrinkling-after-3-days.76420/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. i checked out the link, but they seem to just chock it up to variations in leather. It's just disappointing that I paid extra for the top trim line to have this show up almost immediately. It doesn't help that my father-in-law pointed it out this weekend while we were out running errands. :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
The covers go on over the foam base but the foam gets sprayed with a tacky glue to prevent the cover from slipping or bunching which causes this wrinkle effect. Either the tacky glue used wasn’t right or they missed an area allowing the cover to slip and move. A typical auto shop that specializes in custom car seat covers can easily correct this. However the seat manufacturer might have an assembly issue if this is being seen on multiple cars. Subaru doesn’t make the seats they install them.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Same thing here, but it doesn't bug me that much.
What does bug me is way the seat is designed and bolstered....every time you get in and out of the car you're putting a lot of wear/pressure on the edge of the seat, more than any other car I've sat in. You can't slide in easily, you have to almost plop yourself in to avoid your jeans getting too caught up on this extra high bolster. I can see this wearing fast. I've trying to mitigate by using 303 on this part as it lets you slide a bit easier.

They should have lowered this a bit and used much firmer foam in this area.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Many leather seats will form creases over time, just look at any leather couch. It the nature of leather and some consider it to be a desired characteristic. The manual states that this may happen. It's not a defect.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The covers go on over the foam base but the foam gets sprayed with a tacky glue to prevent the cover from slipping or bunching which causes this wrinkle effect. Either the tacky glue used wasn’t right or they missed an area allowing the cover to slip and move. A typical auto shop that specializes in custom car seat covers can easily correct this. However the seat manufacturer might have an assembly issue if this is being seen on multiple cars. Subaru doesn’t make the seats they install them.
From my experience of rebuilding bucket seats, that's more than likely false. Conceptually, there are two methods of fastening or anchoring the seat pad (leather cover and foam) to the seat/frame: 1) foam+glue+cover+fastener; 2)foam+cover+rods w/ hog rings. The latter is an OEM method, much more superior method, and more labor intensive.

Another reason why they won't use glue because most glue are chemically not stable/cured. If you heat it them up, it gets icky. The seats on Touring are heated and ventilated. If the glue becomes sticky, the perforation will be clogged, causing the ventilation system to malfunction in the future.

The issue that the OP presented here will likely have two truths:
1. inexperience w/ leather seats (or new to car w/ leather)
2. issue w/ the upholstery
My bet is the former - sorry ... it just sounds more plausible w/ the given information. Again I would still more photos/info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No offense taken. This is my 3rd car with leather seats, 2nd Subaru after my 2015 Forester. I've never had the seating surfaces be this loosely attached to the underlying foam and crease so easily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello - I came to the internet tonight looking for answers on the same leather complaint. My drivers seat leather in my Ascent Touring seems loose and bubbled, whereas the passenger seat and back seats are not, and those seats are rarely in use. This worries me. The car is not even 6 months old. Has anyone had any luck seeking a resolution from the dealership? This is my first Subaru but I’ve owned 5 cars with leather and never seen this, even in 10 year old vehicles. Does anyone know if it’s likely to continue to worsen over time? I suppose I could handle how bubbles it is now, but wouldn’t want it to get any worse. Strange the manual says this isn’t defective. Sure seems like a defect to me.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hello - I came to the internet tonight looking for answers on the same leather complaint. My drivers seat leather in my Ascent Touring seems loose and bubbled, whereas the passenger seat and back seats are not, and those seats are rarely in use. This worries me. The car is not even 6 months old. Has anyone had any luck seeking a resolution from the dealership? This is my first Subaru but I’ve owned 5 cars with leather and never seen this, even in 10 year old vehicles. Does anyone know if it’s likely to continue to worsen over time? I suppose I could handle how bubbles it is now, but wouldn’t want it to get any worse. Strange the manual says this isn’t defective. Sure seems like a defect to me.
It's no defect. That is how manufacturers do it these days. Does the leather extend all the way around the seat or does it only go halfway down on the inner side by the center console? I know Honda uses fabric for the bottom side of the drivers seat near the center console. It will degrade over time.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
So, the differences here between the Ascent Touring and other Subarus is that the Ascent Touring seats have real perforations going through it for the ventilation. The components in the seat under the leather are different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts