Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Touring edition with backup sensors. I noticed that the range on these is really bad. When backing up, I do not get the initial slow warning beep until I am about 2 feet or less from an object (such as my garage). This does not give any time to react.

My last vehicle, a Ford F150, would start the slow beep at 15 feet or more, giving you time to brake etc.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Which sensors/alert are you referring to? The RAB sensor detects objects to the rear of the vehicle as you backup with the goal of preventing you from backing into something. The RCTA sensor alerts you to approaching vehicles from either the left or right side when you are backing up. In my case, the RAB sensor alerts to those items within feet of the rear bumper, which is what it's designed to do (stuff close enough for you to run into), however the RCTA sensor detects cross traffic at a much greater distance that's moving and poses a potential hazard if you continue to back up, again as designed. See pages 353-375 in the manual. There are several diagrams with accompanying verbiage that describes the detection distances for these sensors.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Don't worry, it will stop your car. I've tested that a number of times for people interested in seeing the tech in action.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my Outback Touring , it is very unsafe and I do not know how these cars are rated so high for safety when they are not. I have had people walking behind the vehicle while I was backing up without any notification they are there. I just pray there is never a child back there that you cannot see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts