Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking on this for a while now, suppose I used a contact block to extend wiring from the factory rear camera to a plug by the OEM hitch plug and purchase an OEM BU camera to mount to the trailer and plug into the extension at the hitch. Then use a switch on the contact block to switch between the two cameras. Does that sound reasonable?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have been thinking on this for a while now, suppose I used a contact block to extend wiring from the factory rear camera to a plug by the OEM hitch plug and purchase an OEM BU camera to mount to the trailer and plug into the extension at the hitch. Then use a switch on the contact block to switch between the two cameras. Does that sound reasonable?
There are two types of wired automotive cameras, those with a typical analog output (sometimes called "RCA") and those with a digital output (using the USB spec). Neither of these low powered signals should be wired beyond 5 meters (~16.5 feet). If you try, the signal may be degraded to the point where it's too weak to work. Adding further resistance from switches and connectors will make the problem even worse.

What you should try first is a WiFi camera. You can get these with or without a display. If you get one without a monitor, you can use your smartphone as a display, or you can use an Andriod dash cam as a display.

This is what I plan to do when I purchase a travel trailer. You can get them for as little as $24 on AliExpress if you want to try one out, or you can get a professional version if you want the best available.

If you want to stick with a wired backup camera for a trailer, then you should look into a professional system where they've properly engineered it for long wire lengths for trailers.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^that makes sense. It still may be worth a try with some high quality connectors and cable. I do also like the wifi enabled cameras you linked to. I think if I was going to hard-wire anything in, I would also add in some side-view cameras as well as the backup camera, in lieu of towing mirrors that would make a secondary display worth-while.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
^^that makes sense. It still may be worth a try with some high quality connectors and cable. I do also like the wifi enabled cameras you linked to. I think if I was going to hard-wire anything in, I would also add in some side-view cameras as well as the backup camera, in lieu of towing mirrors that would make a secondary display worth-while.
Absolutely, go for it, but please share the results here so anyone else interested can benefit from your research.

I ran into issues using connectors with my dash cam mod and had to wire the cameras directly to the switch. Any minor resistance inline with the camera can attenuate the signal so the fewer connections and the shorted the wire, the better.

Still, it's fun to experiment if you're into that kind of thing like I am. It took a while before I solved all the many problems that cropped up, but in the end, I now have a dual dash cam and a front grill cam with the ability to add more wired cams and wifi cams. I'm now also running the Torque app off of the Andriod display, so that adds even more functionality.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a wifi camera that displays on my phone. Whether wired or wifi, for me what works is a pretty wide FOV and camera mounted up high. Maybe it's because of the trees and branches that always seem to be so darned close to where I"m backing in. Mounting high allows a view of the max height line, and wide FOV allows viewing that line on the upper edge while pointing down at the targets/curbs on either side. If it's super wide, you can see the height line and the bumper below.

My camera isn't so wide FOV, so I don't like it much.

F.S.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I have a wifi camera that displays on my phone. Whether wired or wifi, for me what works is a pretty wide FOV and camera mounted up high. Maybe it's because of the trees and branches that always seem to be so darned close to where I"m backing in. Mounting high allows a view of the max height line, and wide FOV allows viewing that line on the upper edge while pointing down at the targets/curbs on either side. If it's super wide, you can see the height line and the bumper below.

My camera isn't so wide FOV, so I don't like it much.

F.S.
Please share which.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thank much!!! How long does it last on a charge?
Interesting results. 4.5 hours with my smart phone connected and receiving video data, but 11.5 hours total camera "on". (Manufacturer specs 6 hours.)

I couldn't keep my Note 9 connected to the camera continuously during this test, because when connected, the phone has to have wifi on and be slaved to the camera and not a wifi network (keeping the phone offline from voice and data).

After charging the camera fully:
- 11am, turned camera on
- Connected to it with my phone for about 60 minutes total over the next 4 hours
- 3pm, left the camera on, sitting at home but not connected to my phone, for 4 more hours
- 7pm, connected phone again, and the camera lasted another 3.5 hours
- 10:30pm, camera battery died (left a final image on the displaying app with a 10:30 time stamp and the app showing a data error)

I'm impressed it went 11.5 hours, but most of that was probably a standby-ish mode where no phone is wifi'd to it and it's just recording but not transmitting an image (and I imagine its wifi is scanning for a pairing). If I had stayed connected straight through, I wonder how much more than 4.5 (but much less than 11.5) it would have gone. Maybe the spec of 6 hours is about right.

From the Amazon Q&A, it appears that there's a pair of 18650 batteries inside.

Additional note: The FOV seems nice and wide. Not sure if I had it in some narrow mode before. Spec is 90 degrees, and that looks like what it captures.

F.S.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,843 Posts
Forcing the viewing device (phone in this case) to be slaved to the camera's Wifi network would be a show-stopper for me, especially when that precludes the device (phone in this case) from otherwise operating normally. (that's dependent on the phone) It would be hard to accept that while traveling especially, and the concern includes safety and the ability to call out in an emergency without fumbling to change the phone settings. I had a Nikon camera Wifi module a few years ago that worked in the same way...it was maddening.

Reactions: Ruben Marin

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I settled on this setup for the time being, would really like something with sideview cameras but that may be a system I install on the Ascent by way of the towing mirrors or some other setup, roof rack with cameras mounted at the end...maybe. My problem is the reviews on wireless dual camera systems vs the cost of wired systems. If I could replace the towing mirrors with a wireless setup I may go that route, but it doesn't look promising at this point for the money.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After our first outing with the travel trailer, this camera was good, not great. Mounting and positioning was a pain as I had to have the monitor and vehicle hooked up to power the camera, I may try another setup at some point but picture quality was good, connection during transport was stable it was only during backing up and being stopped the signal cut out a few times. My guess is too much draw from the lighting system as this is hooked to one of the marker lights on the rear of the trailer. Otherwise the camera is good for backing up and watching traffic in lieu of a rearview mirror. I was easily able to back the trailer into our yard which at first seemed like a daunting task, 24 ft of trailer into a set of gates on a curved one way street, but we managed. The camera feed is excellent for having a 2nd person help direct you and look out for clearance issues. I am going to get some new butyl rubber sealant and redo the light on the rear, when I do I will take pictures of everything and add them here.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on the camera, our 2nd outing the camera cut off on me enough times I was ready to return it to amazon, but my install left a lot to be desired the first time around. So I removed the maker light feeding the camera and the camera itself. Mounted a piece of pvc trim board over the hole in the trailer and rigged up a decent mounting plate with holes out the bottom to power the camera, as well as a piece of fiberglass rod to wrap the antennae around. I will add pictures when I get them as I wasn't sure this would work or not. As it turns out the this worked wonderfully the picture was stable through both trips, only cutting out once when something interfered with both the sat radio and the camera simultaneously, radar maybe or CB radio. IDK but I like this setup much more now and highly recommend installing some kind of flexible rod to attach the antennae wire to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
newbie here. Has anyone tried a 12v wireless camera at the back of a trailer, and sending its signal to Ascents' video monitor thru its 'app' function? [12v to avoid camera dead batteries. wireless w/an instrument that will extend its signal beyond 20'. once the signal is sending to my android phone, the Ascent's app is supposed to capture the signal and you no longer need the phone connect]. I supposedly have this on order, receiving in a few days. Like to know if someone has successfully done this. problems, solutions, etc.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
newbie here. Has anyone tried a 12v wireless camera at the back of a trailer, and sending its signal to Ascents' video monitor thru its 'app' function? [12v to avoid camera dead batteries. wireless w/an instrument that will extend its signal beyond 20'. once the signal is sending to my android phone, the Ascent's app is supposed to capture the signal and you no longer need the phone connect]. I supposedly have this on order, receiving in a few days. Like to know if someone has successfully done this. problems, solutions, etc.
Not yet that I've seen. It's app function uses USB and built in Carplay or Android Auto Mirroring software. Both block out displaying certain apps on screen. One could probably use a rooted phone and one of the Android Auto sideload apps, maybe, but, I've heard those no longer work on newer versions of Android.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone know what part number would be the female connector for this adapter? I’d like to use this to power a backup camera but don’t want to change it if no necessary?
It is found at the back of my trailer on the bumper... not sure it’s purpose...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts