Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter tried opening the rear gate and has mistaken the backup camera as the open button. Not sure how hard she pressed it but the camera is now tilting downwards and I can see the vehicle's plates and less of the rear. Tried pushing it back up but to no avail. Is adjusting this something I can do myself?

Was hoping this is something I can do to save money instead of bringing to the dealership.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Interestingly enough, I think it just shows the plates and bumper. I did the radio update and noticed I could see my plate. Not sure if the graphics (warning bar changed) and now I notice it more or if it was always like that.

Anyone else able to see some of their plate in the bottom rear right corner?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interestingly enough, I think it just shows the plates and bumper. I did the radio update and noticed I could see my plate. Not sure if the graphics (warning bar changed) and now I notice it more or if it was always like that.

That is almost exactly the view I get.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Your daughter pressing on it instead of the rear gate release should not have moved the camera even if she pressed a bit hard. I would take it back to the dealer and let them know what happened something must be wrong with it to move that easily. This is not a flimsy aftermarket camera that we would expect to move around.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Yup thats fairly normal. I can see part of my plate with the backup camera. I didn't notice it at first because I was focused on the lines, but one day sitting with the car in reverse waiting for my wife to run back inside to grab something I had all the time in the world to look at it.

The camera isn't centered on the tailgate and points towards the middle. With the wide angle lense you end up seeing part of the license plate. The grid lines are setup to offset this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's my view, too. The camera itself is off-center of the car/license plate, and the edge of my plate is just visible like that.

See your aluminum bumper trim? That should be just like it is - just kissing the edge of the image in the center.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
That's the normal view of the 180° camera. Because it's set back a little bit and angled downwards, you see the plate, plate frame and bumper.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks everyone for confirming.

I also agree with comments above that the camera should not move easily and mine does not.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You can also adjust certain settings on the camera itself (shhhh...its a secret). If you press and hold the home button and then press the tune button 2 times, then let go, it will bring up a testing and settings menu. One of the tabs is camera settings which allows you to adjust some of the reverse camera settings. PLEASE KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND ONLY MAKE ADJUSTMENTS IF YOU UNDERSTAND THE SETTINGS!!! I’ve included this because these are not your standard settings and you could possibly create problems if input wrong settings. You can however use this option to use your back up camera as a rear camera. This menu option turns on the reverse camera until you turn it off. There have been a few times when the car was full and I was unable to see directly behind me and this helped out a lot. One drawback is that none of the infotainment controls will work until you exit this setting. Also the camera lacks any glare filters and the lens is a wide angle lens so your side fields are distorted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had my Ascent in the body shop yesterday to clean off over spray on the tailgate and when they were done the position of my back up camera view has changed. I now see the body and corner of license plate where I never saw that before. Also on further look it is now out of focus as well. Is it just SUBARU shops that every time one thing gets repaired that something odd happens?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I had my Ascent in the body shop yesterday to clean off over spray on the tailgate and when they were done the position of my back up camera view has changed. I now see the body and corner of license plate where I never saw that before. Also on further look it is now out of focus as well. Is it just SUBARU shops that every time one thing gets repaired that something odd happens?
It's a single permanently focused assembly, and the license plate and body corners were always in view in its 180° view.

I'd clean off the lens. It's likely just dirty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts