Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked in vain for any information on rear seat room of the Subaru Ascent compared to the Mazda CX-9. Does anyone have any information on how the two vehicles compare when it comes to rear seat room?

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's some info I found on the U.S. News Cars website. If you scroll down to the "Dimensions" section, they describe each seating position in more detail. Not sure if this is what you're looking for but hope this helps:

2019 Mazda CX-9:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/mazda/cx-9/2019/specs/cx-9-touring-awd-403122

2019 Subaru Ascent:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/subaru/ascent/2019/specs/ascent-2.4t-touring-7-passenger-398813

One more thing I wanted to add is that I currently own both vehicles (2018 Mazda CX-9 & 2019 Subaru Ascent Touring). Speaking from personal experience, the Ascent is significantly more spacious in the second AND third rows. The third row in the CX-9 is either for storage or for kids, it's not meant for an adult. That being said, however, it is cozier, and there is an added advantage of having a second row bench (assuming you have Captain's Chairs in your Ascent).

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
The interior cargo room of the CX-9 is a little smaller than that of the Outback, even though the Outback is a 5 seater. Though the CX-9 is a tiny bit longer than the Ascent on the exterior, the Ascent is vastly larger inside (due to the much smaller hood allowing for much more interior space).

·
Registered
155 Posts
The interior cargo room of the CX-9 is a little smaller than that of the Outback, even though the Outback is a 5 seater. Though the CX-9 is a tiny bit longer than the Ascent on the exterior, the Ascent is vastly larger inside (due to the much smaller hood allowing for much more interior space).
It's my reason to buy Ascent not CX-9. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Storage and roominess were important considerations for us. I test drove the CX9 and ended up buying the Ascent Premium with bench seating. Test drive both cars and you'll see that the Ascent has not just more overall storage with 2nd and 3rd rows folded down ( 86 cf vs 70 cf) but also feels much "roomier" inside.. not nearly as "tight" as the CX9 seemed to be.. IMHO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Jared. Your comments based on knowledge of both vehicles is exactly what I was looking for. The links you provided also show that Ascent has 2" more leg room in the rear seat.

Since you own both vehicles do you have any other comments about them? I'm really leaning towards the Ascent. My one concern is that it is brand new and no one knows how well the engine and the rest of the drive train will hold up.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Not to worry about that...

Thanks, Jared. Your comments based on knowledge of both vehicles is exactly what I was looking for. The links you provided also show that Ascent has 2" more leg room in the rear seat.

Since you own both vehicles do you have any other comments about them? I'm really leaning towards the Ascent. My one concern is that it is brand new and no one knows how well the engine and the rest of the drive train will hold up.
  • The engine is an FA Series engine. FA24 to be specific. The BRZ, Toyota 86 and the former Scion FR-S use the FA20F engine. The 2012+ JDM Subaru Legacy 2.0GT, 2014+ Subaru Levorg, 2014+ USDM Subaru Forester XT, 2014+ JDM Subaru Forester XT, and 2015+ USDM Subaru WRX use the FA20D (turbo FA series).
  • As for the CVTs, though this is a variant design, Subaru has been putting high torque CVTs in the Outback 3.6R and WRX for 8 years, and making CVTs for around 30 years.
  • Though it's a new variant of it, the MGT-22 turbo has been used for a while in many cars, mostly expensive ones such as BMWs and Mercedes, as well as some Fords.
  • And of course, the rest of the drivetrain is pretty standard Subaru - and the best AWD in its class.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great info, Robert. Thanks. I don't know where I could find specifics like that. I'm really glad I found this sight (recommended to me by a friend who's researching his Ascent before he buys one).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Dean, my pleasure. Owning both vehicles, I can say that the ride in my Touring is more comfortable than that of my wife's CX9; I would chalk that up to the difference in suspension - CX9 is firmer, sportier, while the Ascent is a bit plusher. Given that basic difference in design, I would say that the CX9 also has a bit more pep/pick-up when accelerating. This, by no means, would suggest that the Ascent is a slouch. I was expecting it to be a bit lethargic, to be honest, but was pleasantly surprised when I realized it was not.

The Ascent's available interior space is a real selling point, it's luxuriously bright and airy (words I'd never thought I'd associate with a Subaru, but here we are!), that panoramic sun/moon-roof is beautiful; for a non-luxury car, it's very nicely appointed. The CX9 interior is also very luxurious - nice piano black appointments with chrome trim, and comfortable seating. I also really like the seating position in the CX9 - the raised center console makes it feel like you're in a cockpit, of sorts. I'd give handling to the CX9, but only just. Again, that lower center of gravity, firmer/sportier suspension, and tight steering make it feel more like a sporty sedan than an SUV. The Ascent, which was never meant to be a sporty SUV, actually has fairly good handling, which says a lot about the engineering that went into ensuring it would be decent despite not being primarily designed for such a purpose.

Another great selling point (for me, personally) for the Ascent vs. the CX9, was that Remote Start is an available option on the Ascent, and in 3 different ways, to boot! This was not the case for our CX9; we were told that Mazda did not have a physical FOB variant, and that it's available smartphone app capability was just bad. In fact, the dealership we bought from was so brutally honest with us about it that they recommended we add it on with another aftermarket vendor. Conversely, with the Ascent, you can have the Remote Start Key Fob, the Starlink Mobile Service, or opt for the Remote Engine Start module w/Normal Key Fob (you can find this topic elsewhere on the site). I use the Starlink Service and so far I've had no issues. It's also nice because you have a number of presets you can adjust before starting the car. It takes about 7-10 seconds for the signal to go through and the car to start.

The exterior lighting of the Ascent, in my opinion, is better than that of the CX9. While both are LED, and while the CX9's headlamps have a cleaner cutoff than the Ascent's, they don't throw light as far as the Ascent's. Something else I noticed about the headlamps is that the hotspot for the CX9 is much closer in comparison to the Ascent's. Additionally, the CX9's fog lights are disappointing, despite also being LED; the Ascent's fog lighting is noticeably brighter and more effective at covering a wider area.

A couple of features that would make the Ascent a better purchase for me are the availability of the Front View Camera and the Rear View Mirror Camera - I can't tell you how many times I've utilized both, and in doing so, avoided a number of potentially damaging situations. In the same vein, the 8" display is far better than the CX9's in terms of resolution, color, and appearance. Before I forget, I'd like to add that the seat/thigh extension portion of the driver's seat is fantastic! I don't know if any other class-competing SUV has that feature, currently.

These are what I could come up with off the top of my head. I'm sure there are those, especially our Ambassadors, who could do more justice in explaining the added advantages of purchasing the Ascent. I'm not saying the CX9 is bad, because it isn't, otherwise we wouldn't have purchased it. However, I am saying that the Ascent contains better overall value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts